DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Disco4 V8 Restricted Performance - Intermittent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
robsta

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Disco4 V8 Restricted Performance - Intermittent

Hello Peeps

I have been getting restricted performance warnings for many years now. I bought the Disco with 93000Km and had the first warning at 95000km. (may not have been the first for this LR) . It went to the dealer, still under warranty but they found nothing. The code mentioned Timing Chain, but when inspected it turned out to be fine. They suspected it may have been the sensor, and were unable to clear the fault using digital magic. So eventually it was hard reset by battery off and some other stuff......

Since then I get this warning every 7000 odd km's, but with an interesting twist. I would get the warning only after start in the morning. I would drive up the road, "warning....Red Triangle and Yellow Lights" and then about 1km down the road the Red Triangle disappears and just the engine light stays. All performance restored. Leave that for about a day or two and that yellow engine light also disappears. It also seems to happen if the car has been idling to get the aircon going while I load the kids for the morning run. (I live where it gets hot and is +30Deg C by 8am in summer.)

This happened this morning again.

The Disco is now at 174000km's and had it at the Local Landrover Guru, (Not Dealer) but similar in Durban, and they checked the Timing Chain for me as I had the car in for a service. The long and short, they recon the chain is still good for a while and can't fault it. (It has not been on the diagnostic as yet)

So what is it? Timing Chain? Software update? Is it Cats maybe getting some condensation or maybe is it the aircon doing something?

Work down in 3,5 years:
water pump. on the third one as the replacement one leaked 15000km ago
Water manifold cracked so replaced about 15000km ago.
Then just service and brakes as usual
 Previously Freelander II
Previously '08 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
Previously '10 Disco4 TDV / SDV6 HSE
Now: '12 Freelander II SD4 HSE -
Now '11 Disco4 V8 HSE 

Post #202389431st Jan 2019 11:06 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have you had the throttle body cleaned ? If not try this. It's a DIY job and takes around 30mins. There are a number of threads on this, just do a search.

Also change the pv and clean the MAF sensor. Both DIY jobs

Post #202392831st Jan 2019 12:22 pm
robsta

I managed to get it on to the diagnostic tool at The Center. Came back with crankshaft correlation bank2 sensor1. All the clever techs then listen and revved and carried on with the car and say its not the chain.
chain is quiet. Topix refers to the VANOS? Could it be some clogging of the oil orifice controlling the VANOS Solinoid? Thing is. If the car is started and driven immdiately, or if left for 20 minutes and driven, as soon as i head up the road i get the warning.

NB NOTE: of the 10 odd warnings in the last few years. only 3 have been this warning. the rest have been the keyFOD, body roll sensor and some other bits

As for the MAF and so on....THANKS> Will do that this weekend
 Previously Freelander II
Now '11 Disco4 V8 HSE 

Post #202393431st Jan 2019 12:35 pm
robsta

Update on the Restricted Performance issue....

So the Diagnostic said that I had an issue with the Cam correlation. Everybody then assumed it may be the chain or the tensioners. I ended up having it done.

The hydraulic units were tired and sticky but not such that the chain was loose. In fact the techs working on the car were not convinced that they needed changing for a long while to come, but it was done. So were the Injector units and some other bits. Start the car first time round, and the warning was still present. Short version, there are two sensors for Cam position. One controls the timing and all sorts of other bits, the other the VANOS via oil pressure, and this unit sits all the way at the back og the engine close to the fire wall. In my case, the little plug had a gimpy wire that liked to play up.

Been fixed, and I have a new chain, tension runners, new injector seals etc.... Confused

Guess I am keeping this Disco for a long time to come......
 Previously Freelander II
Now '11 Disco4 V8 HSE 

Post #20736975th Aug 2019 8:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >