Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Discomadness's MY07 D3 HSE aka the shed thread.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 43 <123 ... 242526 ... 414243>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Yah, happy days and well pleased after all the hard work you’ve done Thumbs Up

Know I haven’t done anywhere near what u have , but when I done the front struts and wishbone it made the world of difference , alignment also improved the ride quality

Do u think the change of ATF oil has cured the issue

Yes plse ref the oil out of interest

How about ur brake bleeding or have u still got to get round to them plse

Chuffed for u it’s all now starting to come together Bow down Thumbs Up

I think a combination of oil and that pick up tube being snapped off. Perhaps the oil was passing the filter ?

Haven’t bled brakes, they feel much better, not brilliant but a vast improvement over yesterday. I think i’ll Leave it till after hols now let it settle and bleed again when I get back.

Edited the post ref oil to include the link.

Thanks mate. I’m really chuffed also. It’s been a hell of a process !

Bless u for the link, haven’t seen that one before but complies with 1375 so perfect for the job and as you’ve seen an approvement

Indeed ref the sump filter and at least u know it’s done properly , have u still got to do the mechtronic sleeve

Good news the brakes are better and at least all the hard work has paid off with the great results

There such a nice vehicle to drive anyway don’t think u notice until u fit new parts and then realise the improvement

I’ll be really please when I get the ac fixed and rest of the oils replaced , will be interesting to see what the gearbox atf is like when I drain it , not sure if it’s ever been done

Am just coming up to 100,000 miles

I picked up the link for oil off here. Someone mentioned it that the jag forum boys were using it so thought well it complied with the relevant standards so why not.

I did the mechatronic sleeve at the same time. It all comes in the kit from af. Note : the bolts are shorter for he metal pan but it comes with them anyway.

Ref done properly. I’d like to think so now ! I knew it was a risk buying. Car like this but I love landys. Most people just don’t get “it” I totally rebuilt my D1 from the ground up. Every bit and bolt starting in 2001. Bought it in a terrible state off a mates dad cheap. Then got bitten by the bug. Lol.

I’m really sorry to sound like I’m gloating mate and I don’t mean to rub salt in a wound but the air con is so good ! My van doesn’t have it so having it now in this weather is a god send !

Ref centre bearing, if the collar is split you’ll see it straight away ! I think you have to drop the heat shield to do it from underneath also. The bearing was quite rough also.

Thankyou ref the ctek. I didn’t know. I don’t know anything about them so thanks for that.

Ref iid. No I haven’t got a manual ? Is it a download ?

Hi mate

Don’t be daft, know ur not gloating , u deserve every bit mate after all ur hard work and pat on the back Bow down Thumbs Up

This is my first discovery , done a chassis swap on a series and know what u mean about the Land Rover bug , this D3 was a project , bought it dirt cheap as I also wanted something to do and know it’s been frustrating at times but if my favourite landy so far

Like urself had landies over 25 x years and when I think coming from a series to the D3 there worlds apart

Is also so nice when I go out with the dogs and my parents there’s plenty of room, also easier dropping the suspension so easier for them to get in and out

Thks for the info ref the prop bearing , very helpful

Here the link for u ref the iif manual , printed the whole manual out and yes need to get out more as I will often sit in the garden having a read of it Whistle

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

Click on the right hand side where u see view

Bet ur looking forward to ur holiday , going abroad or staying here

Post #19707794th Aug 2018 9:36 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Also meant to ask, do u or ur dad ever use extendable ratchets please , Been looking at a few and haven’t actually got a bigger 1/2 rachet so that’s why I started looking this type

Of course wouldn't use it for heavy work, got breaker bars for that

Many thks Thumbs Up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-drive-Exten...0005.m1851

Actually , Something like this might be better with it also having the warranty

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-PRO199-3....l4275.c10

Post #19708175th Aug 2018 12:28 am
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:

Know I haven’t done anywhere near what u have , but when I done the front struts and wishbone it made the world of difference , alignment also improved the ride quality

I think a combination of oil and that pick up tube being snapped off. Perhaps the oil was passing the filter ?

Haven’t bled brakes, they feel much better, not brilliant but a vast improvement over yesterday. I think i’ll Leave it till after hols now let it settle and bleed again when I get back.

Bless u for the link, haven’t seen that one before but complies with 1375 so perfect for the job and as you’ve seen an approvement

Indeed ref the sump filter and at least u know it’s done properly , have u still got to do the mechtronic sleeve

Good news the brakes are better and at least all the hard work has paid off with the great results

There such a nice vehicle to drive anyway don’t think u notice until u fit new parts and then realise the improvement

I’ll be really please when I get the ac fixed and rest of the oils replaced , will be interesting to see what the gearbox atf is like when I drain it , not sure if it’s ever been done

I picked up the link for oil off here. Someone mentioned it that the jag forum boys were using it so thought well it complied with the relevant standards so why not.

I did the mechatronic sleeve at the same time. It all comes in the kit from af. Note : the bolts are shorter for he metal pan but it comes with them anyway.

Ref done properly. I’d like to think so now ! I knew it was a risk buying. Car like this but I love landys. Most people just don’t get “it” I totally rebuilt my D1 from the ground up. Every bit and bolt starting in 2001. Bought it in a terrible state off a mates dad cheap. Then got bitten by the bug. Lol.

I’m really sorry to sound like I’m gloating mate and I don’t mean to rub salt in a wound but the air con is so good ! My van doesn’t have it so having it now in this weather is a god send !

Ref centre bearing, if the collar is split you’ll see it straight away ! I think you have to drop the heat shield to do it from underneath also. The bearing was quite rough also.

Thankyou ref the ctek. I didn’t know. I don’t know anything about them so thanks for that.

Hi mate

Don’t be daft, know ur not gloating , u deserve every bit mate after all ur hard work and pat on the back Bow down Thumbs Up

This is my first discovery , done a chassis swap on a series and know what u mean about the Land Rover bug , this D3 was a project , bought it dirt cheap as I also wanted something to do and know it’s been frustrating at times but if my favourite landy so far

Like urself had landies over 25 x years and when I think coming from a series to the D3 there worlds apart

Is also so nice when I go out with the dogs and my parents there’s plenty of room, also easier dropping the suspension so easier for them to get in and out

Here the link for u ref the iif manual , printed the whole manual out and yes need to get out more as I will often sit in the garden having a read of it Whistle

Hiya mate,

I was offered a series Landy before I bought the disco1. After a test drive I ran away. Lol. My brother in law loves his 90, whenever I go in it with him I can’t get over how noisy and agricultural it is. He’s started building one on a galv chassis using a disco1 v8 running gear that I sold him.

Going to give mine a run today to make sure it’s all ok ready for hols tomorrow. We’re going camping down the gower so hopefully not a too taxing run. I just have to work out how to get 4 van loads of kit into the car and 1 wife and 2 kids. Going to be interesting. Rolling with laughter

Thankyou for the iid link, can I download that to my iPad ?

Hope all is good mate Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #19708345th Aug 2018 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discomadness

gstuart wrote:
Hi mate

Also meant to ask, do u or ur dad ever use extendable ratchets please , Been looking at a few and haven’t actually got a bigger 1/2 rachet so that’s why I started looking this type

Many thks Thumbs Up

I don’t have one of those, to be honest I manage with normal ones, it’s one of those things, until you try a new tool and think “wow that made it easier” you just don’t know. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19708355th Aug 2018 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:

Hi mate

Hiya mate,

I was offered a series Landy before I bought the disco1. After a test drive I ran away. Lol. My brother in law loves his 90, whenever I go in it with him I can’t get over how noisy and agricultural it is. He’s started building one on a galv chassis using a disco1 v8 running gear that I sold him.

Going to give mine a run today to make sure it’s all ok ready for hols tomorrow. We’re going camping down the gower so hopefully not a too taxing run. I just have to work out how to get 4 van loads of kit into the car and 1 wife and 2 kids. Going to be interesting. Rolling with laughter

Thankyou for the iid link, can I download that to my iPad ?

Hope all is good mate Thumbs Up

Hi mate

Indeed remember the noise at 50mph flat out, one of my series was a diesel Big Cry

Sounds like I need a trailer , put seats in them for the kids Rolling with laughter

Indeed u can download it onto the iPad, someone kindly mine out so easier not having to go through it via the screen as I didn’t have a printer at the time

Sounds good having a run out today in advance

Hope u have a well earned break mate Thumbs Up

Post #19708435th Aug 2018 8:49 am
gstuart

Discomadness wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi mate

Many thks Thumbs Up

I don’t have one of those, to be honest I manage with normal ones, it’s one of those things, until you try a new tool and think “wow that made it easier” you just don’t know. Thumbs Up

Cheers , just thought it easier getting one of those instead of a mixture , got to wait though as I’m saving up in case when I test the ac system i find the condensor is at fault

But think it will be very handy to have and think it’s not a bad price either

Ref the AC, got to make up a fitting to go from my air compressor to the AC gauges hose, have got one I made up a little while ago so will utilise some of the fittings , take all the yellow hose off and gauge , just need a connection from the gauge hose to the tyre inflater

Wondering if I can get a fitting that will fit inside the ballofix type valve that will screw onto the manifold gauge hose ??

Was thinking if I put the shrieder valve on I can use my air compressors tyre inflator to fill the ac system up to 10-15psi , do have a regulator so can limit the max output

Will connect to the low side of the ac, well , with it empty there won’t be any high or low side

Also got that pump up sprayer bottle, thinking of just putting some washing up liquid into the sprayer

What do u think plse Thumbs Up

Post #19708495th Aug 2018 9:00 am
Discomadness

Sounds like a good plan regards testing mate ! It’s pressure in the system that’s more important than vacuum really, if it holds pressure then it won’t leak. As I found out it can hold a vac but then leak under pressure. My money will be on the condenser. Get ready for a surprise between the rads. Laughing

Speak soon mate. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19708655th Aug 2018 9:32 am
gstuart

Thks mate

Indeed that’s what I thought , when I first refilled it with a diy kit the AC lasted just over a week so there’s a leak somewhere

Ref bubble testing , Due to not being able to get an ordinary spray bottle in some areas that’s why I got one with the trigger and long lance so should make life easier to get into those hard to reach areas

Hopefully I can get to most of the condensor when I unclip the front grill , see the other areas that have O rings are the dryer , connector on the RH side of the condensor near the expansion bottle and bulkhead

Bet ur right ref the condensor and certainly wouldn’t waste my time with the stop leak cans , will do it properly and if it is the condensor will replace with new Thumbs Up

See the system runs around 200Psi so putting 1 bar in I think will be fine Whistle

Post #19708715th Aug 2018 9:46 am
Discomadness

Hiya mate,

Yeah a sound plan for the leak detection, you’ve thought it out well for sure !

Just came back, been out and about looking for some last minute bits for camping.

Car drove really well, performance is markedly improved from what I remember. Brakes are a lot better but still need more bleeding I think.

Gearbox goes into limp with gentle driving, especially over a crest of a hill or similar. Clears with the iid. Crusing on motorways etc it’s fine. I’ll post the 2 error codes that come up shortly.

Hope you’ve had a good day mate. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19709605th Aug 2018 5:01 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Thks and indeed tried to think ahead Thumbs Up

Just been trying to find fittings that will work

Bet ur happy with all the work you’ve done

Indeed , please let us know what the codes are and can do some digging this end for u

That’s annoying with ur box, does anything come up on ur display when it goes into limp mode, or is it that F code again

I also believe that u shouldn’t reset the adaptions in the gearbox if there’s a fault there

Fingers crossed with the forums knowledge can come up with a solution

I’ve had to lay up again, back just giving me some grief , but will soon get back on my feet

Have a good holiday mate and time to put ur feet up Thumbs Up

Post #19709915th Aug 2018 7:07 pm
Discomadness

Well we made it ! The ‘box went into limp a few times, cleared on the move with the iid, definately a major issue ! The noises it’s making are a bit worrying ! I’m sure the issue lies around third gear, car makes a fzzzzz noise before upchange, another noise sometimes sounds like pressure forcing itself through an orifice ?? Fluctuating revs and then limp.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19713586th Aug 2018 11:00 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Have a good break Thumbs Up

Worry about it when u get back home Whistle

Maybe a flush will help and get the old red atf oil out and improve things

Ps, found the canister I wanted for when I test the ac

Post #19713616th Aug 2018 11:09 pm
Discomadness

Hiya buddy,

Excuse my replies. Few vodkas. Rolling with laughter

What’s that canister for ?

Found a gearbox. Gotta be better than mine?

eBay Item No. 362405609699

Rolling with laughter
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19713646th Aug 2018 11:25 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Rolling with laughter Bow down

Canister is to keep the air dry when connected to the air compressor and used to fill up the ac to look for leaks

That’s a good price, assume ur just use it for parts then as it’s not working and sold for spares

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISC...0005.m1851

Have read where the revs fluctuate it’s normally the torque converter , some putting a tube of Dr tranny in as a temp fix

Never know flush may help ???, one of the members here are going to do it for u arnt they

Post #19713686th Aug 2018 11:40 pm
Discomadness

Hiya buddy,

Nah was joking ! I can’t see anything useable out of that. It’s melted so bad it’s started to drip !!!!

I’ve put drtranny in twice, if anything it’s made it worse !

I would agree about tc normally but the noises the gearbox makes are worrying me.

Debating buying a recon gearbox & tc and fit myself.

Faults relate to “incorrect gear selected” and “algorithym based failure” I didn’t screenshot the codes. Just kept clearing them. Rolling with laughter
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #19713716th Aug 2018 11:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 25 of 43 <123 ... 242526 ... 414243>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >