Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Discovery 1 Nissan Sunny 0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jumblemo

Discovery 1 Nissan Sunny 0

I'm not proud of this, but its certainly a testament to the Disco's robust build quality:

I picked up my car last Monday from the dealer and didnt get to give it a good run out until Tuesday. With 80 miles on the clock I was following 2 cars on a fast moving 'a' road when the front car, a Fiat Punto applied the brakes hard fearing a car was about to pull out of a side road without looking.

The second car, a Nissan Sunny, was taken by surprise and shunted into the back of the Punto, and although I applied my brakes as fully as possible I too was unable to stop and ploughed into the back of the Sunny. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Considering the 2 tons of mass, I had not sufficiently taken into account that the pads and disks were yet to wear-in, and I accept I was driving too close for the amount of available breaking power on tap. And whilst I mashed the brake pedal I didnt even get to trigger the ABS mechanism.

On inspecting the damage it appears the car in the middle took all the impact. Front and rear bumper stoved in, tailgate damaged, and apparently the chassis was compressed enough for the car to be declared a write-off by the engineer.

The Punto too received some damage to the rear bumper and support brackets.

And the disco?

Well virtually nothing. the number plate mounting had a small crack, and cost £20 to replace. Beyond that there wasnt a single mark or even a scratch!

Thank goodness for protected no claims... I have since, belatedly, adjusted my driving style.
 D3 Bonatti Grey TDV6
1942 Crusader Mk III with 6lbr 

Post #746918th Jul 2005 4:58 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Phew! a close shave Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #747018th Jul 2005 5:05 pm
BN

England 

Hope no one was hurt, other than pride.

Now you have hit on a very sore point that I have been trying to battle out with insurance companies for years, protected no claims bonus.

In the event of a claim (and take an innocent party claim) such as a theft of or from a car, the owner will be placed on a register of potential risk for 6 years, which will in fact be a problem on renewals or additional vehicles for the 6 years. This is outrageous as the no claims bonus is a cover up.

I appreciate if you are at fault, then fine, so be it, but to be the innocent party is out of order.

Post #747218th Jul 2005 5:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Brian, this is something we are seriously worried about. having had our Mini stolen in April, our new one arrives soon, and the insurance is going to be very interesting indeed. We did not have protected no-claims. I have not got a quote yet, but I am braced for a shock.

Post #755218th Jul 2005 10:45 pm
jumblemo

I wonder if one can at least force the insurance companies to disclose the data held, who its disclosed to, and the extent of the purpose its held for, under the new EU data privacy act?
 D3 Bonatti Grey TDV6
1942 Crusader Mk III with 6lbr 

Post #755818th Jul 2005 11:03 pm
BN

England 

There are various acts that you can obtain info from, such as The Freedom of Information Act for one and under the Data Protection Act for another.

However, as far as insurance goes, once you make a claim or are involved in a claim whether it is your fault or not, it stays for 6 years on your files. In the case of a theft, like Gareth was the victim of which he did not ask for and no doubt did what he humanly could to protect his vehicle, he has a 6 year marker on his file. Disgusting, the idea of insurance is protection, not punishment as the innocent party.

Post #756518th Jul 2005 11:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >