Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How to - Discovery 3 cloth to electric memory leather seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Ambit

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 4
How to - Discovery 3 cloth to electric memory leather seats

In the process of upgrading from cloth interior on Discovery 3 2005 to full leather with electric memory drivers seat and electric passenger seat. Just In the process of swapping out and electric functions are not working on drivers seat. Any suggestions? Do I need to code ccm to accept electric seats or is there additional wiring that needs to be done.

Last edited by Ambit on 17th Feb 2018 6:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #191490615th Feb 2018 1:59 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Some of the wires under the drivers seat need swapping around. Is it a memory seat that you are putting in? With buttons 1,2&3?
When you get it sorted it will only work in 2 second bursts but that is something you will get used to in a few days.
Plenty of info on here about which wires you need to swap just search.

Post #191491415th Feb 2018 2:15 pm
Ambit

Thanks will have to do a bit of searching passenger seat just plugged straight in and electrics are all working just the drivers seat that won’t move at all.

Post #191498715th Feb 2018 4:41 pm
Ambit

Yes memory seat with 1,2&3

Post #191507815th Feb 2018 7:49 pm
Ambit

How to bypass electric memory seat module

Ok so I’ve spent some time researching the forums and other sources and after studying the electrical wiring diagram for memory seat module I’ve now got my drivers electric seat working. All 8 way functions are now working but memory positioning not working as this how to bypasses the memory module.
I thought it would be helpful to have some detailed pics showing which wires need to be cut and which wires need to be connected to allow the power seat functions to operate.

the above picture shows both main connectors beneath the drivers seat. The black connector box with a 7mm bolt with ford marked on it is the heated seat power; seatbelt pretensioner; seat airbag; and power to the seat switches. Disconnect this connector by undoing the 7mm boot and it pulls apart - you may wish to disconnect your battery supply whilst working on the system. Now turn your attention to the grey and red connector. If you are installing HSE leather into a poverty spec disco 3 then you will not have the required loom for this connector coming from the floor area of the vehicle near to the audio amp. No need to worry the next steps are fairly simple.

Remove this connector from the seat base it slides off the mounting clip. Undo the five T50 torx bolts that mount the seat to the vehicle floor and tilt the seat fully backwards to allow access. Now cut the following four wires that run into the back of this red/ grey connector.

As the picture above shows which wires have been cut - cut the thick black earth wire and the thick brown and green power wire then on the same connector cut the small red and white power wire and the small black earth wire right next to it.

Then on the main power harness coming out of the floor (as pictured above) you will see a thick black earth wire and a thick brown and green main power wire. The brown/green is the positive + wire. Connect the two earth cables that you cut earlier from the red/grey connector to the main floor earth thick black wire. Then also connect the two power wires that you cut from the main red/grey connector to the thick brown and green wire on the main floor harness. All 8 way electric seat functions will now be working. The seat will work without the key in the ignition. You will not have the memory functions unless you change the whole vehicle loom or cut the loom out of another HSE and connect it all through.

As you can see I used crimp connectors to establish I had the connections right initially then once I had established that these were correct and the seat was fully working I soldered all connections and heat shrinked. I extended both of the main positive and negative wires using a similar grade red. / black cabling I extended the wires about six inches this allows you to route the cabling nicely into place so that when you bolt the seat down and reconnect the main 7mm ford connector you can route the cables up and out of the way of the sliding seat. Fully check that the wiring is routed safely and will not snag when the seat moves fully backwards and forwards - job done! Thumbs Up

Post #191582517th Feb 2018 7:24 pm
Erea

Great write up especially with the pictures Thumbs Up It will help others in the future. Glad you got it all working and you won’t even notice the 2 second bursts after a few days.

Post #191585417th Feb 2018 9:04 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

excellent guide. This gets asked quite a bit.

Maybe these could be used to go into the landrover connector. This would make it easier for someone removing the seats in the future for it to not be "hard wired in"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Flat-Thin-B...Swa3BZ8a37

Be a struggle to get the wires into the crimps though.

Post #191597718th Feb 2018 11:43 am
Ambit

Must say I did look at going off the front of the red/grey connector, they are male terminals but I didn’t have anything the right size to tap onto them. I was thinking of not cutting into the back of the connector loom. Would make a smarter job of it. But all wiring is concealed behind the seat trims one done.

Post #191609318th Feb 2018 5:21 pm
penf01d

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Question

I am considering upgrading from cloth to leather seats for my wife's basic spec D3 (MY05) so your post is timely! I am still in the research stage to see if it was possible and I have a question on something in your post I'm hoping you can clarify.
Quote:
If you are installing HSE leather into a poverty spec disco 3 then you will not have the required loom for this connector coming from the floor area of the vehicle near to the audio amp. No need to worry the next steps are fairly simple.

Are you saying here a basic spec D3 won't have the correct wiring for electric memory seats to work at all or just some functions?

Post #193104028th Mar 2018 1:21 pm
Erea

I put electric memory leather seats into my basic manual cloth 2006 D3.
They physically fit straight swap and the passengers one plugs in straight away and works perfectly.
Drivers side, you won’t be able to get the memory buttons 1,2,3 to work and a few wires at the plug need swapping but it will work. BUT it works in 2 second bursts, after a day or two you won’t even notice this.

Post #193104728th Mar 2018 1:29 pm
penf01d

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Okay, thanks for clarifying! I can live without the memory functions and that was to be expected as I understand the memory module on the seat has to be bypassed when fitting in basic spec vehicle.

If the seats are heated do you know if the heaters will work if fitted to a basic spec D3? I'm guessing not but just want to know if anyone can confirm.

Post #193110128th Mar 2018 4:49 pm
Erea

Getting the heated seats working is a whole an other different story. It’s doable but there are wires missing behind the dash. I have heated seats fitted but haven’t gotten around to adding the wires yet. You also need to change the heater switches which is a fairly simple job. Others on here have gotten the heated seats working so do a bit of searching.

Post #193110628th Mar 2018 4:56 pm
penf01d

Thought that might be the case, thanks for clarifying Erea! Think I'll keep it simple and aim for working electric (leather) seats first Wink

Post #193113528th Mar 2018 6:39 pm
penf01d

Thanks!

BTW thanks for the write up Ambit, very useful Thumbs Up

Post #193113728th Mar 2018 6:42 pm
Hairy47

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi would anyone know if this would work on a D4 drivers seat on an 05 disco 3 se ? got the passenger working but nothing from the drivers side!

Post #193514910th Apr 2018 12:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >