Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Discovery 3 v Defender 110 in this months LRO magazine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Motivation would be to fill pages and also try to appeal to the newer model owners as lets face it.
Most landy mags cater 90% for Pre 04 models of land rover bar the Defender.

A point i've brought up with both LRO and LRM when i've met the editors at shows.

Also now that values of D3's are in the sub £6k market, they are more accessible to the general land rover market.

Most of the people i know with a Defender, use a D3 or 4 as a daily.
When we make the trip from Glasgow to Peterborough, they take the Disco's.

I side stepped the whole Defender and the suspect "one life life it" walt image, and got a 1950 80" Series 1. Which is about the only land rover that makes a Defender's road manners acceptable... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #192854820th Mar 2018 7:39 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

professorpool wrote:
Maxxed_Ross wrote:
The Discovery electronic trickery is always going to trump the skill needed to do the same thing in a Defender for most people... but there's nothing quite like the feeling of doing all the hard work yourself

plus it's very very difficult to get a speeding ticket in a Defender Laughing

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Ive got both the defender and the D3, in this weather my balls spend all their time hiding!

Me too (2001 Defender 90 TD5 and 2013 D4 HSE). The burning wallet keeps you nice and warm though Very Happy

So you agree with the article that it’s an inferior vehicle?

Not at all. As already mentioned they both do a very different job.

My Defender gets filled with mucky dogs, broken gear boxes, camping gear, soil, concrete, Ikea flat pack....

Yes the Discovery could do all of this without any issue - but it would wreck the interior or I would need to spend time protecting it. With a Defender you just get the hose out Laughing

I suppose the same goes for off road. The Discovery is just a s capable off road but I'm far happier about bouncing the Defender off a tree.

Suppose it comes down to me treating the Defender as the work horse and the Discovery as the comfy but capable daily driver
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #192857420th Mar 2018 8:00 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

After reading this on Tuesday I aught this months LRO mag Big Cry it's April issue Big Cry . Anyway D3 v90 the only thing myDisco didn't do that a 90 would when out Greenlaning was fit through very narrow gateways. Must get next months mag. Thumbs Up
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #192875121st Mar 2018 10:31 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Maxxed_Ross wrote:
professorpool wrote:
Maxxed_Ross wrote:
The Discovery electronic trickery is always going to trump the skill needed to do the same thing in a Defender for most people... but there's nothing quite like the feeling of doing all the hard work yourself

plus it's very very difficult to get a speeding ticket in a Defender Laughing

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Ive got both the defender and the D3, in this weather my balls spend all their time hiding!

Me too (2001 Defender 90 TD5 and 2013 D4 HSE). The burning wallet keeps you nice and warm though Very Happy

So you agree with the article that it’s an inferior vehicle?

Not at all. As already mentioned they both do a very different job.

My Defender gets filled with mucky dogs, broken gear boxes, camping gear, soil, concrete, Ikea flat pack....

Yes the Discovery could do all of this without any issue - but it would wreck the interior or I would need to spend time protecting it. With a Defender you just get the hose out Laughing

I suppose the same goes for off road. The Discovery is just a s capable off road but I'm far happier about bouncing the Defender off a tree.

Suppose it comes down to me treating the Defender as the work horse and the Discovery as the comfy but capable daily driver

M y post was clickbait... Of course they do different jobs.

Mind you the article looks at 12 different areas Whistle Whistle
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #192875821st Mar 2018 10:41 am
Dave T

England 

I also have both, and would hate to part with either. I would never even dream of doing an RTV in the Disco, yes it would be capable if extreme tyres were available in 19s but they aren't and the risk of damage is just far too great. But then I would never dream of going to Kent in the defender!

I also find green laning a lot more relaxing in a defender, purely from a damage point of view, I don't want to damage my paintwork but the risk is there when planning from a distance, although it would be nice to transform into a disco for the road sections! I do also make conscious decisions about the routes when we take a disco that you don't need to think about in a defender.

Tbh, is it really even worth the paper trying to compare the two?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #192879221st Mar 2018 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Compusmentis

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If they did a 'cost of ownership' test over 3 years, the Defender would easily come out on top. Thumbs Up
 New gearbox & TC, 3 x front wheel bearings, belts changed, new oil pump, new battery, new rear prop, new front prop, new front diff, front arb refurbed, front cv boot kit, egr blank and BAS software patch, full rear suspension / drivelive rebuild, new front arms, LED trailer light fix, split charge.
Never had a 107, 90 or 127, but have had most of the rest! 

Post #192889321st Mar 2018 9:52 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

not a chance Laughing

I've only ever had Defenders (4 of them from 200 TDi, 300 TDi to current TD5) until the D4 I bought last week, and they've been doing an exceptional job of keeping me poor Laughing

Current TD5 has had in the last year:

New rear axle
New transfer box (last one EXPLODED)
New turbo
2 x MAF sensors
Boost hoses
Fuel Pump
Fuel filter
Shocks all round
Springs all round

and that's just from going "wrong"

Still needs a clutch and front swivels too

Plus there's the morning you go out and it just decides it doesn't fancy starting today Laughing
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #192895422nd Mar 2018 4:03 am
Dave T

England 

I blame poor maintenance ........... Whistle Whistle Rolling with laughter
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #192895822nd Mar 2018 7:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Compusmentis wrote:
If they did a 'cost of ownership' test over 3 years, the Defender would easily come out on top. Thumbs Up

I reckon you may be right money wise, but you would never have a spare weekend without having to get the spanners out for the defender.
I ran my 200tdi 90 as an everyday car for 4 years and there was always a snag list hanging on the wall and as soon as you cleared a few jobs off the top a few more would get added to the bottom.

Luckily I do all my own work, if not it would get very expensive very quickly and I reckon thats where land rovers get their bad reliablity name from as people think they are tough so you can ignore the maintenance.

Post #192897222nd Mar 2018 8:43 am
Compusmentis

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I never have a weekend without spannering on the D3. It needs continuous care to keep it going. Admittedly it works hard for a living, but it is far and away the most expensive Land Rover I've ever run.

And that's before you take depreciation into account.

It is an excellent car, but far too expensiv for me... Crying or Very sad I've spent £13k over the last 2 years on it, which includes parts, tax and insurance, but not fuel.

That figure is net of vat and I do the work myself, so no labour.

Add in £8k depreciation, and diesel, and its averaging £17.5k/yr to own..... Big Cry
 New gearbox & TC, 3 x front wheel bearings, belts changed, new oil pump, new battery, new rear prop, new front prop, new front diff, front arb refurbed, front cv boot kit, egr blank and BAS software patch, full rear suspension / drivelive rebuild, new front arms, LED trailer light fix, split charge.
Never had a 107, 90 or 127, but have had most of the rest! 

Post #192940723rd Mar 2018 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >