DISCO4.COM > General

Discovery 3 V6 2005 LR4 V6 COLOGNE PET Bad fuel consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cibertrans

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 V6 2005 LR4 V6 COLOGNE PET Bad fuel consumption

Hi All,

This is my first post (on any forum ever). But this site seems so down to earth that I thought I would give it a go.

I bought a Discovery 3, 2005 model as I always wanted one. I love the look the feel and they can go anywhere. The one I bought was only used by an old chap to take his boat out. Since the nearest water is 60 kilometres away, I thought it should be run in pretty good and should have lots of life yet at 189,000 km. She doesn't have a mark or in it. Absolutely beautiful!

But I do have an issue. I have been taking the fuel reading and see that I'm only getting 5.096 km to the litre which is just 11 mile to the gallon. But the funny thing is she goes so so well. However, I can feel it surging, on off on off unless I've got my foot on the accelerator or off. Trying to stay the one speed, if I turn the radio off, I can hear it surging off on off on etc.

Has anyone had similar or recommend what the problem is?

Post #20576922nd Jun 2019 5:46 am
Theorangebandit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You're running lean. Could be multiple things that cause this.

The fault could be something simple like an air leak along your induction or injectors are putting too much fuel in. Faults like this don't always generate fault codes. reading live data can help as you may be able to identify what's not reading correctly and it will isolate an area.

Common issues are air leak in induction.
Dirty MAF sensor

Post #20577072nd Jun 2019 7:32 am
cibertrans

Thanks for the suggestions. Interestingly, this morning I went out to the Discovery and headed off down the road and this time (first time) I noticed the "Check Engine" light on the instrument panel turn orange and stay on. So your right, there is something sinister about the fuel system.

So when you say, get 'live data' read, I guess you mean take it to a mechanic and have them check it over? (I've been away from working on cars for many years so not in touch with all the latest terminology - last time I worked on vehicles (quite extensively too at the time) you didn't ask a 'computer' to find a fault, rather you found an experienced bloke who just 'knew' what was wrong by experience).

I also note that the 'manual' says that when this particular light comes on and stays on and amber that "the emission performance of the engine management system is impaired - seek qualified assistance".

My other question is, is it OK to drive the Discovery like this? What do you reckon?

Post #20582384th Jun 2019 7:42 am
Theorangebandit

Amber warning lights indicate a calculation fault. Be it that something is reading incorrectly as a result of a mechanical fault in the system that sensor monitors or that the sensor is detecting incorrectly due multiple reasons.

One light on a dash can be trying to tell you it's detected one or more out of 3000 different programmed faults. It takes experience and skill to diagnose what has cause the ECU to detect a fault.

Isolating the cause takes yet more skill.

The book will say that about emissions as OBD ports were introduced solely to monitor emissions in initial introduction in the 90s. Since then it's become a one stop diagnostic port that can connect to multiple ECUs giving way more information, but faults linked to the engine are still primarily assumed as emission faults. Don't assume anything you will likely end up spunking money on parts you don't need to buy.

Given the skill fade you admitted I would recommend you find a reputable mechanic, get it diagnosed and repaired.

Amber lights indicate that you have a fault that is considered safe for you to make time for it to be diagnosed. Red light indicates a major fault that needs dealing with immediately .

Post #20585014th Jun 2019 8:52 pm
cibertrans

Yes, thanks for the advice. I think I will. Safer in the long run, at least until I get my head around the vehicle.

Also, thanks for the tip on how the lights work. I was thinking that I had to get it towed to a garage. But now I can at least drop it down to them.

Post #20586835th Jun 2019 1:06 pm
Theorangebandit

No worries Thumbs Up

Post #20588315th Jun 2019 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >