Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Dometic Fridge in tin house!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Murrayst185

Ireland 
Dometic Fridge in tin house!

Any ideas why the feckin fridges won't cool down in gas mode or electric? 2006 abbey caravan and never any issues in sunny Ireland other than now i towed it to Spain. Long time reader not a writer but fridge is doing my head in. D3 towed it all the way and 12v s plug seems to work the best. (Fridge cool when I arrive at sites) is 30 degrees outside oo much? Ps anyone know of green lane type places near Benidorm? Found loads In northern Spain near Ferrol. Any help greatly appreciated.

Post #197343313th Aug 2018 2:03 am
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Just had exactly this issue in france. Remove both external grills and the filters for a start.

Max temp is 25 degrees after research. You need an axillary fan kit above that.

Post #197343513th Aug 2018 4:59 am
al cope

England 

most (if not all) just work on convection, so the air doesnt circulate very well if the outside temp is high, and if your fridge is on the awning side, and you have an awning up, this is even worse as the air just doesnt really move. I made a "fan kit" for our old 'van by using a spare winter fridge vent cover and 4 12v fans to pull the air through behind the fridge.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #197344813th Aug 2018 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Confused Not sure if this applies to your fridge or not - but I had a Dometic in a previous caravan which was switched by touch buttons to whatever source. After towing it for a few hours on the 12v aux supply and the fridge working really well and arriving on site I switched it to electric and it wouldn't cool. Returned to dealer who diagnosed a faulty 'switching unit' (can't remember anymore than that) but basically although it was switched to another source it was in fact still on the 12v system. A 'panel' or some other part was changed and that resolved that particular issue - there were numerous other faults afterwards and that caravan was 'binned' not long after! Thumbs Up

Post #197353013th Aug 2018 1:24 pm
al cope

England 

Sorry, another thought - have you checked the 240v supply for polarity. There were 2 guys on our site in france (both with Swift 'vans) where their fridges didnt want to work on mains or gas with the polarity reversed, whereas ours (Dometic) was fine even though our mains polarity was also the wrong way round.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Last edited by al cope on 13th Aug 2018 2:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197354913th Aug 2018 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Murrayst185

Ireland 

Well that makes sense then with caravan being towed and 12v selected the air is moving past the grills as I drive on the road. It's been really hot here last few days 30+ and not much breeze so that would explain the fridge having difficulty doing it's thing when stationary. I'l have a look at filters aswell. I didn't even know it had any to be honest. Thanks for all the replies folks greatly appreciated!

Post #197355213th Aug 2018 2:39 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ours won't work on a slight incline - bit of a pain when parking outside our house/drive and packing it if I've left it attached to the D3.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #197362713th Aug 2018 6:20 pm
Murrayst185

Ireland 

I have also noticed our fridge likes the van level too. I'l get a proper look at fridge filters tomorrow and see if they need cleaned. I would imagine so as I didn't even know there was any filters fitted. A cool box packed with ice is keeping us going a for the mean time. Thanks again for all the help.

Post #197370013th Aug 2018 9:14 pm
Murrayst185

Ireland 

Well I had a look and took the grills off the side of the caravan. Few dodgy noises and cracking noises later I got them removed (stuck on with moss and crap and me not wanting to force anything on a caravan due to their incredible build quality!) and low and behold I have either;
A: no filters, i was expecting them behimd grills or
B: someone has been here before, many years ago, and threw them away.
I could see the fins on the pipework, guess that's the heat exchanger part but no sign of any filters at all. The temps have dropped slightly here now to high 20s and if we manage to keep fridge door closed all day the temp does drop inside it. Beer is chilled in the freezer compartment lol

Post #197411015th Aug 2018 12:22 am
al cope

England 

its not a "filter" as such, but a fine mesh grill behind the front finned plastic grill. It a mesh to keep flies/crawlies out. If thats clean then its possobly just down to the high external temps - did you check the mains polarity coming into the 'van?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #197413015th Aug 2018 8:06 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Caravan fridges work best on gas, but mains polarity doesn't come into it because the controls run on 12 volts.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #197432415th Aug 2018 7:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >