Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

what have they done to my d3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine replaced at 14k after clutch smell and difficulty engaging first and reverse Thumbs Up
Subsequently the car had to be recovered as the gear linkage failed.
I also had to refit one of the exhaust rubbers which wasn't put back on. Rolling Eyes

Otherwise all okay and very happy with my dealer.

Free valet and the next service if you ask me Lee.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #25288230th Jan 2008 1:33 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Lee , type in " Clutch AND TSB " in the search utility at the top of the page and it pulls up heaps of results.

Post #25288530th Jan 2008 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lr1

United Kingdom 

The dealer has been negligent and has admitted to this as he caused the damage.

You are entitled to have the car reinstated to its origonal condition.

Garages will have insurance for such situations, sometimes a vehicle can fall off a hoist injuring an employee and damaging the vehicle, this is what insurance is for.

Tell the dealer you want the vehicle fixed, it is up to him how he pays for it.

You should also be able to get reimbursement for the clutch, landrover customer care should be involved in this, write to them.

Post #25294130th Jan 2008 5:41 pm
Apny

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Lee,

Sorrt to hear about poor service, i have a manual and have no problem selecting 1st. Did you have this problem before the new clutch fitting?. Does the dealer know if you had a problem if not dont tell them, if you know what i mean.

Andy
 Club - Sicky Milk Smell  
Post #25338731st Jan 2008 8:06 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Not that it makes any difference to the claim, and I agree that the dealer is totally negligent, but it looks like the technician who removed the box only used 2 mounting holes instead of perhaps 4 (there's another 2 holes immediately under the 2 that have cracked??) thus causing the load to shift and twist, cracking the cast iron casing and falling off the stand.

"...he recalls it cracking but not realising that pieces of casting had come off..." what a load of crap. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Sounds like something my 7 year old would say!

What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #25339931st Jan 2008 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

just thought i'd add my bit, from the look of the pictures posted you could quite easily believe a real bunch of amatures have been at work on your poor disco, not a franchise dealer. what a bunch of t Censored ers, and like everyone else has said i would contact lrcc and would insist on the gearbox case or complete gearbox be replaced along whith all other damaged items. i am apauled at the oily fingermarks left, this should never happen inside the vehicle unles they are real amatures. my clutch was replaced at 15,500mls when it went in for its first service, i only happened to mention to the service manager that it was a bit clunky to change gear from cold and they replaced it whithout me even knowing untill i got the bill for the service whitch read "faulty clutch and flywheel replaced under waranty" free of charge. keep hounding the tw Censored ts because they should never be able to get away whith such vandalisum on any vehicle. it makes me wonder how many more vehicles they have left in the same state and posibly worse,and got away whith it. Sad

sorry to rant on but this sort of thing realy makes me anoyed, please let us know how you get on
regards, jim Thumbs Up

Post #2536281st Feb 2008 12:55 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They gear box cannot be secured properly next time it neds to be unbolted.
They should supply an refit a new one.
What did LRA say?
Small claims court should be next stop.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2539732nd Feb 2008 12:55 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

caverD3 wrote:
They gear box cannot be secured properly next time it neds to be unbolted.

That's a good point, it can't be secured again and if you needed another clutch it could be a problem.

Post #2540222nd Feb 2008 9:29 am
lee ashman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

hi all thanks for the replies , LR have now offered me £500.00 for all the problems i have had but as of now i have not heard from marshalls about replacing the gear box so if i don't get anywhere this week i will be looking down the small claims court lines next week.
on another note i am fitting a night heater to the disco this weekend so i will post some pictures on next week.

Post #2565447th Feb 2008 7:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tell them that the forum is now aware off their incompetence and lack of customer service.

It may be a good idea to resolve this correctly if they ever stand any chance of any of us here using them for service or sales.

I'd also threaten to send those images to AutoExpress and some of the more select LR mags with all the facts written up.

I am surprised LRCS has not told the dealer to replace the gearbox though Shocked

Post #2565567th Feb 2008 8:33 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Lee - were there any conditions to the £500? Is it just a godwill gesture - or have you in effecct accepted that £500 is sufficient to compensate you for this episode? If it was the latter and I was in your situation - I wouldn't cash it just yet. The £500 should be nothing more than a "sorry you've had a rough time, here's £500 to ease the pain whilst you continue sorting it out to get to the settlement you require - can we do anything else to help?".

All good advice in the posts above about using the leverage of this forum and writing to motoring journalists, but at this stage, I'd avoid that. Stay cool. Stay firm & fair. Don't do anything that would look like it was inflammatory. I'm not saying I think this is the case, but further down the line, in court, could it be argued by the defendant, that rather than allowing them enough time to sort it, you actually caused significant damage to the reputation of the firm, by taking such action at this stage?

Document/date everything. Write a concise, non emotive, to the point letter clearly outlining your issue, and requesting that: gearbox/clutch/ is replaced, independent assessment, etc etc (and whatever you want within reason) is sorted with in a timeframe you determine - or you'll go to court. Trading standards will give you any text your require. That will probably get it settled, if only to avoid legal fees.

If it was me, I might also push to get the car taken elsewhere and another trusted dealer should carry out the repairs - to be certain it is all done properly - given that your confidence in them has been shaken? Maybe?

Good luck with it!

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #2566207th Feb 2008 9:49 pm
lee ashman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

hi thanks for the advise. this is where were at so far.

500quid offered as good will gesture from landrover. this is for all the hassle we have had.

marshalls have also offered to replace gearbox like for like but as yet no guarantees for the gear box there putting in as it's a used part it has no warranty. this is legally all they have to do but Lrcc are involved and do have a proposal for us.

it's a shame that marshalls can not sort this out themselves and have to be pushed or chased up by landrover cc all the time!!!

to get the work done at another garage we may have to go to court as it is unlikely that marshalls will agree with that although legally we can demand that.

Lrcc have been really helpfull so far but marshalls are a joke!! i think we will be forwarding the pictures on to autoexpress watchdog anyone else that might be slightly interested in the case.

Post #26050517th Feb 2008 4:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Glad things are moving on, but I would not go and execute the last paragraph in your post just yet. As customer services are involved, then let Marshalls reach a conclusion first.

And why no warranty on the replacement gearbox? that is not acceptable. The gearbox should be warrantied like the rest of the car.

Keep battling on Thumbs Up

Post #26051417th Feb 2008 5:15 pm
Beldaal

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just to add my 2p-worth ....
A year ago I suffered what I thought were classic symptoms of TSB 308. Starting on a steep hill, clutch wouldn't engage properly, all the way through the gears, spinning away wildly, and a dreadful smell; the problem corrected itself after about half a mile.

I took the car into my dealers - Stratstone, Wooburn Green (Pendragon - uh-uh) and they reported nothing wrong ('after running tests as laid down by LR'), despite me presenting TSB 308 to them. Suggested that I could have the clutch dropped and checked - at my expense. I took their word for it, but did leave with a letter signed by the service manager stating that it had been checked and nothing was wrong.

Roll forward to today. I had noticed the clutch seemed worse - minor failures to engage and disengage, so it went back to Stratstones for that (under warranty) and a number of other warranty items (40,000 miles). They had it from Friday 15 February, with the intention that the work would be completed by the time I got back from the USA. They did ALL the other work, but left the clutch until Friday 22 February, at which point LR refused the warranty work on it, on the basis that the clutch showed 'excessive wear'. To me, this sounds like the end result of TSB 308 left uncorrected, especially as I have NEVER had any clutch problems with any vehicle in 35 years driving, and I don't tow (not even a tow-ball).

Photos have gone back and forth, but I am now without a car, as Stratstone will only provide one for work they're doing, and expect LR to provide for warranty work - and LR refused the hire car.

I have had continuous communication with LRcc, who have been extremely helpful and pleasant, even as far as trying to get me a car themselves - predictably refused - and are keeping me (reasonably) up to date with what is going on. Stratstone are now appealing against the warranty refusal, but it's beginnning to look like I'm going have to take the (huge) hit for all of this.

Any suggestions or advice? Having had Discos for the last 12 years, and older LR's before that, after this experience I'm at last finding that I never want another LR vehicle again.

Nigel
 '05 Zambezi TDV6 S Manual  
Post #26515827th Feb 2008 1:10 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

lee ashman wrote:
it has no warranty.

Presume you mean here the gearbox warranty will expire at the same time as the rest of the car (ie soon as yours is listed as a 2005), think this is the same as all parts fitted under warranty.

You should push back that this is not a warranty item (ie LR are not footing the bill, there was no warranty failure of the gearbox), therefore the effect should be that the car is having a part fitted which would normally be warranted for a period (12mths?), just in this case Marshalls (as their technician/workshop was at fault), are paying the bill.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #26517927th Feb 2008 1:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >