Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

what have they done to my d3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
lee ashman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
what have they done to my d3

This is a short story about my d3 when it went to Marshall LandRover of Melton Mowbray for a new clutch. When we got the car back from having a new clutch the linkage broke the car had to be towed back, when they got it back they had to remove the gearbox again. This is how my d3 came home.with broken gearbox casting and they had ripped all the sound proofing around the gear stick.It had only done (41000) not covered under warranty and cost me grand i was not a happy man!

this is just a selection of the grease covered parts of my discovery 3
please read this email the main dealer sent me after grassing him up to LR please let me know what your reply would be
Whistle

Dear Lee

Thank you for emailing the pictures. I have spoken to the technician Who worked on the vehicle and he Has informed me That the gearbox stand moved whist he was fixing the gearbox to it and recalls the mounting holes cracking but was not aware that the small peaces of casting had come of.

He as assured me that there is not detriment to the gear box and is purely cosmetic. Big Cry

I would like to re-confirm the offer of a free full valet to be taken at you will please Rolling with laughter

Email or call me to confirm your requirements.

Regards Gary

Gary Button

Service Manager

Marshall LandRover

Leicester road

Melton Mowbray

LE13 0DA

01664 480033

Marshall Motor Group

Gary Button

Service Manager

Marshall LandRover

Leicester road

Melton Mowbray

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you received at Marshall Land Rover Melton Mowbray

As per conversation I would like to offer you full valet and a vehicle health check at date you find convenient

We will collect and deliver your vehicle and provide you with courtesy vehicle if required.

Regards

Gary

Last edited by lee ashman on 29th Jan 2008 9:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #25268329th Jan 2008 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The clutch should be covered under warranty.Mine was even after 1K klm outside the poxy 100 K klms threshold.

What happened with yours and why wasn't it?:confused:

Post #25269129th Jan 2008 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Call Land Rover Customer Care Thumbs Up Oh just to add it looks like the gearbox fell off the stand to me.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded. 

Last edited by AndrewS on 29th Jan 2008 9:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #25269429th Jan 2008 9:30 pm
lee ashman

Discowex wrote:
The clutch should be covered under warranty.Mine was even after 1K klm outside the poxy 100 K klms threshold.

What happened with yours and why wasn't it?:confused:

No tried two dealers both said it would not be coverd

Post #25269729th Jan 2008 9:34 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You want it back in the same condition less the faults that it when in for not a free valet you should get that any way big tossers.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #25270329th Jan 2008 9:43 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Trouble is when you come to sell it, if you part exchange they will probably wonder what happened and may think it was something worse than a new clutch.

Also if it did fall off the stand (judging by the broken mountings), how can you be sure there is no other damage to the casing which may come out later.

I wouldn't be happy with that, if they can't be bothered to clean it what else did they forget to do.

Post #25270529th Jan 2008 9:49 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Shocked Shocked

Post #25270729th Jan 2008 9:49 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A grand... and it came back like that!?!?! FFS! Light some fires under them. Demand you were put back in the same position as when you took the car to them in (whatever the cost to them), but with the new clutch that you're happy to pay for, less a reduction given the inconvenience caused etc. Give them reasonable time to rectify it. If they don't sort it, write again telling them if they don't sort it immediately you'll take them to a small claims court and get another garage to fix it.

There's no need to be aggressive/angry, just be firm and polite, document all phone calls/meetings and take photos... and don't settle for anything less than having the car back exactly as it was - but with a new clutch, and ideally a few quid off the bill.

Good luck!

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #25273229th Jan 2008 10:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lee

Read THIS post carefully, it can be done. There is a known problem with early clutches, and yours sounds like it should be covered.

I think a new gearbox is in order here, its your expensive car, and you will have to explain the damage when you sell it.

1. As Andrew says, start by calling Land Rover customer services and lodging your complaint. If you car is less than 3 years old, ask them if they think 40k is acceptable for a clutch wearing out (I presume you have not abused it)

Then ask them why the gearbox should not be replaced? its damaged, and a Land Rover dealer broke it by dropping it off a stand.

Good luck, and we hope you at least get your money back.

Post #25274629th Jan 2008 11:35 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

also .... looks a bit oily to me!
thought the oil should be inside the casings?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #25276430th Jan 2008 12:45 am
heapster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You'll get murdered on the tradein - no-one's going to believe the "it's only cosmetic" line, not even a LR dealer.

If it was whacked hard enough to take off some of the casting then there is probably some other damage including hairline cracks which will probably give when you don't want them to.

I'd take it back and ask them to replace the 'box FOC.

Post #25281230th Jan 2008 9:53 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Lee , you should be reimbursed for your clutch , a new gearbox guard FOC, and a full valet FOC.

Let us know how it progresses Thumbs Up

Post #25281430th Jan 2008 9:58 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Is it less that three years old? Assuming it is (and has a full LR warranty), would LR be happy to cover the cost of failure to other parts caused by dealer negligence/accident... probably not! I guess it would be in their interests to make sure the dealer rectified it at their cost.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #25283030th Jan 2008 10:26 am
lee ashman

John C wrote:
A grand... and it came back like that!?!?! FFS! Light some fires under them. Demand you were put back in the same position as when you took the car to them in (whatever the cost to them), but with the new clutch that you're happy to pay for, less a reduction given the inconvenience caused etc. Give them reasonable time to rectify it. If they don't sort it, write again telling them if they don't sort it immediately you'll take them to a small claims court and get another garage to fix it.

There's no need to be aggressive/angry, just be firm and polite, document all phone calls/meetings and take photos... and don't settle for anything less than having the car back exactly as it was - but with a new clutch, and ideally a few quid off the bill.

Good luck!

John

thanks for that
lee

Post #25287530th Jan 2008 1:01 pm
lee ashman

have you had a new clutch? is your 1st gear hard to find ??

Hi disco fans
have you had a new clutch? is your 1st gear hard to find sometimes ?
please let me know if you have had a new clutch fitted or know members who have had cluch problems and was it covered by LR
also what mileage the cars had done
i need all the ammo i can get
thanks lee

Post #25287830th Jan 2008 1:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >