Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Door closed sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Door closed sensors

I mentioned this in another thread (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44539.html), but didn't get any suggestions, so I'm raising a thread in the hope that someone will be able to hlep.

My car has started to get confused about whether the doors are shut or not. This displays itself both by the horn beeping when trying to lock it and also by the interior light staying on when already in and driving off.

Its now happened a few times, and is becoming a pain - especially when it repeatedly beeps late at night when trying to lock it outside my house.

Just to be clear - all entries are definitely closed when this happens. Opening and shutting doors eventually sorts it out, but not necessarily the first time. I suspect that the problem is either with the driver's door sensor or possibly with the tailgate, but it could be more general.

So... Any suggestions? How does the car actually sense when the doors are closed (there doesn't appear to be any obvious catch on the driver's door)?

I have a Faultmate - would there perhaps be any fault associated with this to look for?

I'm loathe to take this to the stealer as an issue because its not repeatable, and we all know how much attention they give to that sort of issue Sad

Nigel

Post #60458016th Feb 2010 8:13 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

The switches are located within the door lock assemblies, so cannot be seen.

When you get the 'mislock' sound, do the interior lights go off after 30 secs? I'm asking this as it could also be the bonnet switch ...
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #60470416th Feb 2010 10:54 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nigel

I have had this a couple of times, and is highly embarrassing when the horn blasts your neighbours out at midnight. I have to open and close every door then it seems okay Whistle Now i know where the sensors are now thanks to spooky Bow down !

Post #60471816th Feb 2010 11:06 pm
TwelveSticks

The lights stay on after the horn sounds. And also when I'm driving after getting in, closing the door and driving off!

Post #60472716th Feb 2010 11:15 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is most likely caused by inappropriate application of lubricant to the door latch assemblies.... with all doors closed but ignition on, do you get any indication on the message centre of a door being open? if you have the low-line instrument pack, this won't tell you which door or tailgate / bonnet is causing the problem, but I can give you the connector pin details to check for open or closed circuit

Post #60473416th Feb 2010 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TwelveSticks

Thanks TFC.

When it happened the other night I switched the engine on and closed the drivers door (me on the outside). Looking though the window there was nothing on the message centre, but the interior lights stayed on - but I do have the low-line pack.

Pin details (and where to look for them) would be appreciated.

If it is "inappropriate application of lubricant", any idea what can be done about it?

Nigel

Post #60474916th Feb 2010 11:44 pm
TwelveSticks

Slight update on this - today I got in and drove off and this time the message centre reported that the driver's door was open (it wasn't). I opened and closed it - no change. I opened and closed it again and this time it worked.

So sometimes it tells me the driver's door is open, sometimes not. This suggests either more than one door has an intermittent problem (seems unlikely), or that something is wrong back at the 'brain'. Censored Exclamation

Looks like I'm going to have to involve the stealer after all.

Post #60519117th Feb 2010 8:50 pm
TwelveSticks

One last update for posterity (hopefully). Today the Disco went to the stealer for investigation of this beeping problem (pun intended). They just rang me and told me that they had found the problem Very Happy , but needed to keep the car for another day to fix it Sad

Apparently it is down to "a short in a loom in the door", which requires them to take the door off.

I await it's return tomorrow with baited breath...

Post #6124561st Mar 2010 6:36 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thats bad news Big Cry mine has just started doing this.
Its going in for its 30k service next week so will get them to fix it as its still under warranty,(just)
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #6124691st Mar 2010 6:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >