DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Door emergency unlock failure!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Door emergency unlock failure!!!

The nightmare came through.....

While playing around with the FBH, I exited the car though the passenger door, while the engine was running (to prevent the FBH to shut down when opening the driver side door). For some strange reason, all the doors locking mechanism was activated during this exercise, leaving me locked out of the car with the engine running (felt pretty stupid, I can assure you Embarassed ).

So I collected the spare key, and attempted to open without success. Appearently it is not possible to use the spare keyfob as long as the primary is active in the ignition (this was a big suprise to me, learning it the hard way Confused ).

So the back-up solution was to use the emergency unlock mechanism, situated on the driver side (I have a left hand drive). This should in theory be an easy solution following the instructions in the manual, but no......the emergency unlock mechanism was not possible to operate Sad Censored Censored ! While attempting to operate it with the key, it would not move in either direction, and was probably seized up, due to not having been operated since the car was new in 2005! Spraying with WD40 and a heating gun did not help either Big Cry .

Eventually I realised that the only solution was to call the local emergency roadside assistance Embarassed (in norway this is called NAF), and they arrived outside my garage. They manged to force the rear door open enough to reach the window open button with a purpose made bendable metal stick Smile .

When things were back to normal I chekced the spare keyfob again, and it was operating as it should when the primary keyfob was removed from the ignition switch. The emergency (un-)lock was still stuck.

Lessons learned from this situation:

Do not climb out of the passenger door with the engine running. If you have to do it, keep one window open as an extra precation Exclamation .

Check/operate the emergency lock/unlock mechanism on a regular basis, to avoid comming into the akward situation as I did Exclamation .

Be aware that the spare keyfob will not operate with the primary kefob in the ignition Exclamation .

The present status is that I now have to "unseize" the emergency (un-)locking mechanism. I have tried to search the forum for any relevant information, without success Big Cry .

Any recommendations from the forum regarding if this can be done, how it can be done or information on how to change the emergency lock will be much appreciated Whistle Question .

Best regards, Geir Sheep  
Post #75075922nd Jan 2011 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'm paranoid about this, if i get out of the car with the engine running I always wind a window down first.

Pom

Post #75078222nd Jan 2011 3:47 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Just out of interest, when we had the big dump of snow (for the UK!) at the beginning of December, I started our car up and then closed the driver's door whilst I got the snow off of it. When I attempted to open the door again I found that it had locked. Fortunately the house was open and I was able to get the spare key and get in via the emergency method. However I'm still at a loss as to how the door became locked. Is it possible to knock the internal lock and then close the door, locking the car in the process?

For several weeks afterwards I didn't go anywhere without the spare key in my pocket!

Post #75081422nd Jan 2011 5:26 pm
sopjas

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you start the car with the door open, and you have not actually sat in the car you can easily close the locking latch on the inside of the door while reaching in to start the engine, and then without knowing you shut the door, hey presto you are lcoked out.

I always ensure that the fob is pressed twice to unlock all doors rather than just the drivers.

Done it a few times, Embarassed but i now know how its happening.
 'Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive'

Buckingham blue, Webast timer/remote, AT2s, Black & Silver ovals ,
Privacy Glass , Drilled and Groved Discs , Xenons, Rear LED's , Light Guards,Hawkeye diagnostic unit.
TL1000R--XR600R-- 

Post #75095422nd Jan 2011 10:19 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I got into the car to start it, but must have caught the inside of the door at some point. Ah well...............

Post #75096622nd Jan 2011 10:40 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm starting to find that my door locks are failing to lock and unlock in the cold weather, Unlocked the car and opened drivers door, didn't start engine as I'd realised I'd forgotten something from the house, closed the car door but didn't lock it, when I came back seconds later the drivers door was locked, I know I hadn't pressed the lock button as the interior lights were still on and the rear door able to be opened.
Also finding that in severe cold that it needs a few presses of the unlock button to gain access, and a few presses of the lock button to be locked.
Thinking of having all the latches changed for new.

Lee

Post #75122223rd Jan 2011 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >