Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Driving Holiday in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Driving Holiday in France

Going to take the D3 and SWMBO across to France for 2 weeks over Easter. Going to St. Malo and returning home vis La Harve.

We have our first 3 day stopover booked just outside Grand Fougeray. But where to go from here?? We want to be in one place over the Easter Saturday Sunday Monday to avoid all the weekend traffic. Where are the must places to visit? Don't want to drive all day every day.

Any ideas recommendations?? using B&B's to keep costs down as "Ruby" will need a large supply of fuel no doubt!! 8)

Post #4325124th Mar 2009 9:27 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

If you've not been there before, St Malo itself is a fantastic place to visit and very picturesque. Le Mont Saint-Michel (east of St Malo at the bottom of the Cherbourg peninsular near Avranches) is also another beautiful place. Heading further east you have Bayeaux (of tapestry fame) and Caen has a beautiful cathedral (if you're into that sort of thing!) Then of course, you have all the D-Day beaches in that area.

Embarassed Just noticed that your first stopover is South toward Nantes.

Near Cholet is Le Grand Parc de Puy du Fou (http://www.puydufou.com/uk/). That can be a good day out, especially for the kids. The birds-of-prey display is fantastic! Noirmoutier-en-L'Ile is also worth a look, especially if you use the Passage du Gois to get to the island rather than the bridge.

Wherever you go I'm sure you'll have a great time. Wish I was going but have got to be patient until July Big Cry
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #4325194th Mar 2009 9:59 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Visit Bayeux, beautiful town. Cathedral, Tapestry, Museums, Cemetaries and only a short hop to the Beaches of Normandy. (Visit Colleville Sur Mer, Pont du Hoc, Maisy Battery, and numerous WW2 sites) Will take care of a couple of days easily.

Granville is a nice spot too. The coast drive to St Malo is beautiful.

You gotta go to Mont St Michel ... Fantastic place. Frances 2nd most visited tourist attraction after the big electrical pylon in Paris Rolling Eyes so give yourself plenty of time there, loads to see.
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #4325224th Mar 2009 10:08 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Friends of ours have a B&B in the Auvergne region.
See here:-
http://www.la-fromental.com/
Give them a call (Aaron & Amelia).
Amelia is a fantastic cook and i'm sure you will be impressed!

Tourist information here:-
http://www.francethisway.com/regions/auvergne.php

It's well off the beaten track and there are some lovely roads to drive.
It's a volcanic area and is a lovely region, not too touristy. It's a skiing area during the winter.
There are lots of lovely villages nearby with markets selling local produce etc.
Well worth visiting this un-spoiled and generally un-discovered region of France.

Post #4325234th Mar 2009 10:09 am
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thanks DiscoDad, will most likely book there for a few days. Who shall I say recommended them?? 8)

After the advice I am rethinking our plan and may scrap our first stopover and stay close to St. Malo for a day or two. Then goto Sizan and explore that coastline and finally goto DiscoDads friends in Auvergne before coming home.

France is a big country and I think we were planning to travel too far in our first visit!! 8)

Post #4326114th Mar 2009 12:21 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mike. You have a PM. Thumbs Up

Post #4326604th Mar 2009 1:36 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a small pile of stones below Saint James just off the A84 in between Avranches and Fougeres.

Dinan, near St Malo is a nice very old town and Cancale is a great place for Oysters (parking a pain though). Granville has already been mentioned. To be honest you will spoilt for choice in the area you've chosen and loads of places offer very good €10 -15 3 course menus. Why not follow the coastline in to Brittany - fantastic scenery and loads of cheap places to stay. Diesel yesterday in the supermarkets there was €0.917.
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #4329574th Mar 2009 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andychelt

United Kingdom 

If you end up anywhere near Pontivy (search "Pontivy, Morbihan" in google earth) I got a cottage which can be a useful base to explore the Brittany region or for a few nights as you're passing through. Prob about 2 hours from St Malo, alot of which quiet country roads.

website is www.ourfrenchholidaycottage.co.uk

let me know if you need any more info Thumbs Up

Post #4341006th Mar 2009 7:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >