DISCO4.COM > General

Driving in Europe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TC

United Kingdom 
Driving in Europe

Hi all,

Long time no speak! Been off getting married and going on honeymoon.
We are off on our second ski trip of the season in three weeks to the Alps and have decided to drive rather than fly.......driving in France then Switzerland.

Do I need to adjust the dipped beam of the lights for driving on the right and if so can I do it myself?

Are the standard tyres up for snow or will I need chains?? (Pirelli Scorpions - 19 inch rims)
We honeymooned in Canada and I didn't see a single car with chains although they all had winter tyres

Also, does anyone have any good tips for taking the car into europe (other than taking a spare car, my local LR dealers workshop team and a copy of the bible of course Very Happy )

Cheers

ST

Post #355852nd Jan 2006 3:50 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

You can change the beams (see here) if you have small hands to reach behind the headlamp units. Page 115 of the manual details the procedure, but exaggerates the size of the lever involved. Unless you remove the units, you'll need a dentist's mirror to see the levers.
Otherwise, duct tape beckons.

There's been a bit of discussion about chains; you'll probably be OK without. If you do want to err on the side of caution, rent/buy them for £50 upwards or stump up almost £400 for the LR ones to stay in warranty. You might also need to show them to the gendarmes, but not demonstrate they fit. If desarzens is about, he can probably give a more subjective view on the Swiss police's attitude to English cars and Alpine driving.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #355932nd Jan 2006 4:55 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I took my £100 chains from my old TD5 modified (to fit the 19in rims with scorpions) with some stainles steel shackles. They fit well and have tested them on my drive but never in anger. The driving in Hinterglemm was not a problem as the packed snow/ice seemed to have some grip as other cars with chains seem to grind the surface so it is not polished ice.
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #356142nd Jan 2006 8:17 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Re chains, there are passes where they are (officially - and sometimes practically) required. You might by stopped there, if you don't have chains. Best to check whether there are any such points on your route.

Eric

Post #356573rd Jan 2006 12:29 am
Desarzens

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Hi all,

I don't think it is a good idea to go to the Alps with summer tires... In the lowlands (less the 400 to about 600 meters altitude), it should be OK provided you don’t forget that braking distance is seriously affected (I tested a Disco 3 in such conditions, traction was excellent, but slowing down…)! Anyway the road maintenance is good and the snow removed within a few hours.
In the Alps, the roads are not snow free and in some places the Police checks the cars and could prevent you to drive there if you car is not fitted with winter tires or, at least, ask you to fit the chains…
So better to be well equipped for winter expedition!

Happy honeymoon!

Post #357013rd Jan 2006 10:47 am
TC

United Kingdom 

Thanks all - much appreciated. We are off to Melchtal, this is only 1.5 hours south of Zurich and on the edge of the Alps - 20 mins drive into the mountains from Sarnen. We picked up hire cars from the airport last year, they had full winter tyres but no chains.........we didn't get stopped

Post #357073rd Jan 2006 12:16 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

in-country plates ??
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #357103rd Jan 2006 12:37 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi all we have just got back from Montalbert. The local gendarmes didn't check for the presence of snow chains/fluorescent tabard/warning triangle/spare bulbs/fire extinguisher. However it was unnerving not to have the local folk not doing their normal thing of overtaking on the bends, seeing how fast you could accelerate into and out of a hair pin bend etc.
The car handled beautifully in about 8cms fresh snow on the 02/01/06. Really impressed with the traction and also the brakes. I tried to get the car to slide in a safe area and it always managed to stop in a straight line (all on std. Pirelli's).

Post #357493rd Jan 2006 5:43 pm
minicabelemet

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Just got back from Austria after 2 weeks. You don't need to worry. Got through 6 inches of snow on Pirreli Scorpions like flying. The resort in Axamer Lizum was at 5000 feet and the road was challanging for most of the vehicles with or without chains. But there was no problem for the Disco. It even started first time on -17.5 Degree Celsius. Got some amazing pictures...will put them on later. Have fun!

Post #359654th Jan 2006 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
It even started first time on -17.5 Degree Celsius.

Mine hiccuped a few times at - 20 in Hinterglemm! D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #359674th Jan 2006 9:35 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I just got back from Verbier where there are lots of D3's and RRS now (and lots of snow). They were all happily running around on standard chainless tyres from what I could see. 2 wheel drive cars without chains were useless on the snowey and steep roads (and frequently seemed to be slipping off the road into other cars). I was impressed by the lorries and buses that were running around with huge chain sets. Sadly I was in a Nissan X Trail hire car - although I confess that I grew quite fond of that motor which went everywhere carrying 5 people and their ski kit for less than half the price of a D3....makes you think 8)
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #359924th Jan 2006 11:07 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Smarticus wrote:
Sadly I was in a Nissan X Trail hire car - although I confess that I grew quite fond of that motor which went everywhere carrying 5 people and their ski kit for less than half the price of a D3....makes you think 8)

...that as its built of lettuce and the 1st deep pot hole will break it... D3 will flatten it and shrug it off...

Jap SUV's in that class are just jacked up cars.

Post #360185th Jan 2006 3:51 am
MLGOMEZ

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just got back from Andorra, had one night snow drop of 14 inches, absolute chaos!!! Car was completely buried with snow over the bumpers.
Looked to energetic to dig car out, so put into high setting, low range, snow mode and 2nd gear and punched my way out on to road!! Traction light only blinked twice!! Had a doubting audience and kind of hoped the D3 would'nt let me down!!
Climbed upto resort passing 2 stuck Porsche Cayennes and a Volvo D5, had to hide the grin!! Not a single blink of traction light all the way.
Tested D3 in empty car park with thick layer of untouched snow and braking was very controlled, traction fantastic.
Only part that could'nt take the cold which did'nt get above -5 during the day was the front and rear wash wiper jets, even with a hot engine and trip back through France did they thaw out or maybe motor has had it?

Miguel

Post #360825th Jan 2006 6:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

MLGOMEZ wrote:
Just got back from Andorra, had one night snow drop of 14 inches, absolute chaos!!! Car was completely buried with snow over the bumpers.
Looked to energetic to dig car out, so put into high setting, low range, snow mode and 2nd gear and punched my way out on to road!! Traction light only blinked twice!! Had a doubting audience and kind of hoped the D3 would'nt let me down!!
Climbed upto resort passing 2 stuck Porsche Cayennes and a Volvo D5, had to hide the grin!! Not a single blink of traction light all the way.
Tested D3 in empty car park with thick layer of untouched snow and braking was very controlled, traction fantastic.
Only part that could'nt take the cold which did'nt get above -5 during the day was the front and rear wash wiper jets, even with a hot engine and trip back through France did they thaw out or maybe motor has had it?

Miguel

More likely fuse 11 behind the glovebox has blown, you could say we've a few of them this week!

Post #360855th Jan 2006 6:11 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Guess who bought some chains yesterday! Embarassed
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #363296th Jan 2006 10:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>