Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Dryer assembly removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Dryer assembly removal

Hi all, seems I am relying on you a lot at the moment. My humble thanks, you have saved me being disenchanted with the breakdowns and kept me excited by the mods.

I have a problem with the cracked dryer cap on the suspension pump. I have been reading up and have the bits ready to do the job tomorrow. I plan to change the cap and dessicant.

I need a little clarification though, I see that you can replace the cap in situ, but to do the dessicant you need to take the air drier off.

From one post I have the impression that it is possible to take the air dryer off with the pump in situ, looking at the on line e bay adverts of pumps I can see that it is one unit and there is a screw on a support mounting that look like it is all that holds the dryer on.

Except I found this diagram, from what I can make out it appears to be a flange on the pump part and a recess on the dryer that makes it so it wont pull off.

It is located just below the number 7 in the diagram.

Before I start could anyone confirm if the dryer can be removed whilst the pump is in situ or will I be needing to take off the whole pump. I would rather avoid doing this ref that rusty top bolt.

Thank you
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #200874213th Dec 2018 3:14 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Dryer fixed

OK well I did it, its fixed and all working ok. It was a Hitachi pump.

First, you can service the dryer without taking the pump off the car. Major win, second to answer my own question it is held on with a philips headed bolt then a 1/3 turn twist anticlockwise to disengage the bayonet and it came off ok.

This may help others, so assuming you have the cover off and the chassis propped with an axle stand

The first thing to get off is the little philips bolt. There is no real access but what I did was get a screwdriver bit for an electric drill, reach up and drop it into the screw head. Then I got a cheap spanner, bent it a bit and used it to turn the bit. You can happily get your hand on the top and press down with your finger whilst using the spanner. Screw came out easily.

Srew

Gadget for screw removal

Next job was to undo the two pipes, as noted by others press the coupling and pull the pipe, both popped out easy.

Getting the dryer off was difficult, I found it hard to move and impossible to pull off. I noticed that the smaller air pipe was set into a knotch on the cap of the drier. I pushed it out and the job got easier. I could turn it fine but not pull it off. I resorted to spraying some silicone lubricant onto the bayonet end and just working it up down back and fore, eventually it got easier and easier and pulled out.

Picture of Bayonet so you know what is what

Strip down was easy, follow instructions with the kit and on you tube.

I forgot to record how full it was with dessicant so I refilled with the old and measured it as 25mm from the rim.

Refitting the new cap was a little hard so I put a slight bit of silicon lube on the seal and used the screws to pull it on. I just took each at 1 turn and worked my way around.

There is a little o ring to change on the pump end, I found there was a lot of corrosion in the groove the ring went in. I cleaned it all away with the hem of an old sheet. It came away ok.

O ring

Cleaning corrosion

Refit as they say is the reverse of removal, only thing I had bother with was that the new cap had a hole instead of a slot for the small pipe to route through. It was a real fiddle but the silicone lubricant came to the fore.

Other photos showing the crack that caused the problems

Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #200916914th Dec 2018 7:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >