Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

To DSC or not...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BN

England 

jollybodger, you did OK, if I had realised I would have sat in with you for a while longer to talk you through a few things. As it was you did the most sensible thing, and that was to take the low route and not take a risk. Risk takers are not acceptable in my book.

In future if any one requires any help, if I can give it or demonstrate it for you, let me know. Simon is catching on the driving thing and we should soon have him up to speed I hope.

All we need then are some marshalls, then we are self contained. TFC can read a map I am sure and RLD can dig us all out of trouble with the double winched 130. What a group, fantasitc.

All I hope is that jollybodger will join us again soon.

Post #1839820th Sep 2005 6:28 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jollybodger, it takes balls to know your limits and stick to them Thumbs Up
I didn't hear one word of decent or criticism, I'm sure anyone else would have done the same in your circumstances

look forward to the next time Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #1840120th Sep 2005 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Definitely coming back guys, perhaps I will have sorted the insurance by then. Laughing

Post #1840320th Sep 2005 6:35 pm
BN

England 

Yes, can I get insurance against TFC Crying or Very sad

Post #1840420th Sep 2005 6:37 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

jollybodger wrote:
Slimer I suspect that you have better driving skills witha D3, I have only had mine for about a month and haven't driven 4x4 before, so far it's all been road driving. But I have to say it was great fun on Sunday so hopefully will have the skill nerve to cope with future challenges. Either way superb day, brillian car and great company guys. Surprised

Possibly better skills but more likely I'm just used to the car more, if you haven't driven anything similar before it does take a while before you feel totally at ease with driving. There's nothing wrong with taking the 'low road', it takes more skill to realise that you're beat that time around than to blindly try anyway.

I must admit that I never thought that I wouldn't make it up the hill, heck it wasn't an option, I had Mrs BN and two 5s in the car, priority was their safety and knowing the 5s would never let me forget it if I had failed Wink But if I was in your position and had only had mine D3 a month (I've had it for almost 5) I'd certainly be very wary of any possible damage

Si
 The End  
Post #1841620th Sep 2005 6:56 pm
BN

England 

Si, what a load of old rubbish, Little 5 had a gun in your neck and gave you no choice. MrsBN was giving you verbal and it was a do or die situation. Anyway, thanks for giving me a break for the day all the same. Very Happy

Post #1841920th Sep 2005 6:59 pm
Pelyma

England 

10forcash wrote:
Jollybodger, it takes balls to know your limits and stick to them Thumbs Up
I didn't hear one word of decent or criticism, I'm sure anyone else would have done the same in your circumstances

look forward to the next time Wink

Cheers,

10forcash

Here, here, I got my D3 stuck a few days into ownership on a grass paddock Laughing Beat that one for embarrassment! In actual fact DSC didn't kick in until a few metres from the top. It was a hill though that needed total commitment that you were going to get up it. I don't think you realise quite yet how much you achieved. You drove more there than probably 95% of 4x4 owners ever will. Do your L1 course and then play you will see it all in a different light. I've had mine since January and driven it, my old Freelander and various Defenders over the years. To have driven what you did first time out is incredible so don't do yourself down. Look forward to seeing you at the next one if uncle Brian arranges it!!!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1844220th Sep 2005 7:42 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

jollybodger wrote:
But didn't you manage to get up the steep hill with it still on Coffee Cup? Confused Confused

Yes first go. Actually followed the marshall's instructions to put it into 2nd and power away. And up it went with out a struggle 8)

Though I was a bit wary of the banks either side of me, but it was a risk I considered and took on my own responsibility.

Hey, I'm glad someone remembers me getting something right on the day.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #1845720th Sep 2005 7:52 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
I must admit that I never thought that I wouldn't make it up the hill, heck it wasn't an option, I had Mrs BN and two 5s in the car, priority was their safety and knowing the 5s would never let me forget it if I had failed Wink But if I was in your position and had only had mine D3 a month (I've had it for almost 5) I'd certainly be very wary of any possible damage

To be honest I sat at the bottom of the 'wall of death' after watching Ray drive up and kick up a whole load of stone behind him as he climbed to the top. As I decided to go first in line behind our glorious and rather amazing instructor (Anthony encouraged me to do this of course) I just thought... hell if he climbed it, and he only does stuff we can do too... I'd go for it.

Also helped having Joe and Javi egging me on. I trusted Ray's leadership and selected 2nd Low and went for it. Got to the top and felt like a king !

Mind you... my first thought was - no F****** way !

I decided not to do the water run just in case and I agreed with all at the top of the 'wall of death' that Duncan was a top man for not deciding to have another go. Until Ray took TFC's spade in hand and made it easier for those after Duncan... it was a bloody hard climb with not a lot of traction. It went slick very quickly.

If I'd have sat there like him and done the Slimer Tyre Smoke Trick I too would have decided enough was enough.

An amazing day all told and I think we all reached our personal limits one way or another.

Following Ray is one thing... but playing on your own makes each obstacle that little bit harder.

Cheers !

-s

Post #1846520th Sep 2005 7:59 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
I did the whole day with DSC switched on, didn't cause me any issues. It must be down to driver skill and my 'textbook' driving Wink Very Happy

MIne was on most of the day, switched it off for the big hill. PDC is a pain, I wish they would put a permanent over-ride on.

Post #1867220th Sep 2005 11:13 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

left mine on too

-s

Post #1867320th Sep 2005 11:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >