DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Duratracs too aggressive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
shepheam

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Duratracs too aggressive?

Hi all,
I've got two sets of wheels 20s and 19s. I've been running on the 19s with the intention of selling them when the tyres no longer have any life left in them but I have recently been thinking about having them as winter wheels.

I have Pirelli Verde All seasons on the 20s and have no reason to think these will be anything other than sufficient for the UK winter (I had no problem on Zeros in the snow last winter) but I have an urge to get some chunky tyres.

My driving would be considered 100% road. Kerbs and a field are probably to most off roading I'd do. I'd like to do something more adventurous but lack of time would be the main reason for not getting into it.

So the question is... are Duratracs too aggressive as winter tyres when you spend all of the time on the road? especially when already having Verde All-Seasons?

I'd be worried they'd be too noisy and handle poorly when compared to the Verdes which are obviously road biased tyres.

Can I find enough excuses to make the man-maths stack up?

Thoughts?

Post #198633625th Sep 2018 9:29 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've had 19 inch Duratracs on for 40,000 miles. I really like them and never think about noise. I'll either put another set on when they hit 4mm or the new Pirelli ATR which look good.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #198634425th Sep 2018 10:19 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

43K on Duratracs since new
Not really that much noise increase I guess they would give me another 20K easy
only thing I noticed they a bit worse on wet freezing snow than before but managabel
Next set would be Michelin Crossclimates SUV
G

Post #198634525th Sep 2018 10:22 am
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I’ve been using duratracs for 82,000 miles now.
The next Costco offer will see me on my 3rd set of them.

My car spends most of its time on road, it’s a work car for me.
Never had an issue with them in the wet, dry, or in a blizzard during Scotland’s first Red weather warning for snow when I did 60 miles to go rescue a stranded mate. Car was stable, planted on the road and hauled his stuck E46 BMW up hills without issue.

Personally they are a superb tyre and the only all terrain I’ll fit to my car.

Post #198634925th Sep 2018 10:33 am
stiff

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Duratracs are not winter tyres - even if they have a "snowflake" on them don't kid yourself that they are adequate for the job or conditions.

A winter tyre is different for very good reasons. Rubber compound is softer and made for lower temperatures (hence why it is recommended not to keep winter-rated tyres on all year round or when temps consistently above 10c or thereabouts) so they maintain more grip in these conditions. The sipes are different so they are more effective for clearing snow/slush in the tyre grooves to aid traction.

Duratracs are designed for a different purpose. And their rubber compound is harder to achieve that purpose. Which means it goes even harder in winter conditions. Not what you want.

But at the end of the day it is your decision if you want to use what are essentially off-road orientated tyres during winter to keep something that weighs at least 2.5 tons on the tarmac through adhesion of a few square centimeters of rubber contact... Thumbs Up
 MY2008 D3 - It got me hooked...gone
MY2012 D4 - It kept me hooked...gone
MY2007 D3 - Mid-Life crisis toy continues driving me to bankruptcy...
MY2018 "D5" Si6 - But is it a "true" LR...discuss...but now gone
Back in a D4 with a lot of extras.... 

Post #198635925th Sep 2018 11:15 am
shepheam

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

This is my point. I think I might be worse off in winter on Duratracs than the Verde All-Season when all I do is on-road driving. Lets face it, UK winters are mainly wet and cold (ish) so road focused all season tyres should be better for the majority of the time right? When its so bad that you might actually need something more the roads are full of abandoned RWD cars anyway!

Argh, I think I'm talking myself out of getting the rugged looks the D4 deserves Big Cry

Post #198636925th Sep 2018 11:36 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've run my car for over 13.5 years and 226,000 miles in all weathers. I had a set of Wintracs and used them for two winters. I decide that they weren't necessary and sold them on. Since then I've only used AT2, GGAT and Duratracs and never had any issues in cold, snow, rain, sun on road and in mud without any issues or problems. I also live in the countryside outside Bath where many of the roads aren't great.

Personally I would get Duratracs or the new ATR and nor worry.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #198640525th Sep 2018 2:48 pm
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've run AT and more road biased tyres through a lot of winters. the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons have never let me down in any of the snow I have encountered.

Post #198641425th Sep 2018 3:04 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

stiff wrote:
But at the end of the day it is your decision if you want to use what are essentially off-road orientated tyres during winter to keep something that weighs at least 2.5 tons on the tarmac through adhesion of a few square centimeters of rubber contact... Thumbs Up

What a load of wet noodle Censored

Plenty on here run these tyres in winter and have no issues. To claim they aren’t suitable is frankly lies.

Yes dedicated winter tyres are the best answer, but that requires a second set of alloys, extra outlay and storage. Something not everyone can manage or afford. Therefore a compromise is needed.

Duratracs have been designed with winter driving in mind as well as off road and on road use.
For myself and plenty others, they are suitable, hence they keep getting recommendations for when people ask.

Post #198653725th Sep 2018 8:42 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I used Duratracs for 3 trips to the Austrian alps, -25 some days, hard packed ice/snow on the roads and in a RWD double cab up some pretty steep slopes to our apartment.

Never had to use the 4WD. Never saw the traction control light on.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #198653925th Sep 2018 8:50 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you don’t need the off-road capability of the Duratrac don’t buy them. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #198654525th Sep 2018 9:12 pm
Roob

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've run Duratracs off road (mild and severe), in heavy rain, heavy snow, slush, and during hot summers over long distances. I have covered 40k miles and have about 10k left at the absolute limit. They are considerably louder than when I first had them fitted and they tend to rumble a bit at certain speeds and round corners. There is a definate drone at 70mph. The siping is getting thin due to wear and the tyre is now chunking in places.

I have to agree with stiff here.
They are a good all rounder but I would never use them to replace a perfectly good winter tyre. If you are 100% on road I advise you get a decent winter tyre and use it all year round (unless your happy to run 2 sets in which case get a good set of summers and a good set of winters). Provided you are not hooning it around, a winter tyre is perfectly usable in summer, abeit with a slightly increased wear rate.

The Duratrac is adaquete on snow but not as good as dedicated winter tyre. It is adaquete on roads but not as good as proper summer tyre. It is adaquete off road but not a mud terrain. It's an admirable jack of all trades.

If you only have one driving style (on road) then I would not reccomend the Duratrac. There are better options for on road driving all year round. This isn't just a practical aspect (cost, weight, wear etc) but it's also a safety aspect. The Duratrac will never perform as well as dedicated purpose tyres. There is always a trade off.

Hope my experiences help answer some of your queries.

Post #198670026th Sep 2018 1:33 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Roob, I agree with all of your above post, but you didn't mention the increased braking distance that a Winter tyre has in warm/hot weather. For that reason, I'd never recommend running winter tyres all year round. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #198686726th Sep 2018 10:32 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Horses for courses, as they say, tyres are the cheapest things you will put on your car compared to say fuel so fit the best you can afford. Thumbs Up

Post #19885653rd Oct 2018 8:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Run Land Rovers for forty seven years from cross plies to present GY Wranglers. Never had much trouble with any conditions including towing cars plus their tin tents out of a muddy caravan site in Gloucestershire on cross plies on Series 2a. It’s more how you drive than what rubber is on the wheels.

Gratuitous pic of upper Weardale snow.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #19885923rd Oct 2018 10:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >