Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EGR blanking and MOT/remapping and insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
EGR blanking and MOT/remapping and insurance

Had my 54 plate (29/11/04) TDV6 in to for a handbrake adjust this morning. Also ran a diagnostic and gave early warning of an EGR failure. Is it legal to blank off on a car of that age? Does it affect MOT/VED or any aspect of running and do you have to blank both banks of the V?

On a separate issue, the well known indy (no names, no pack drill) I use have a good offer on a remap. I'm only interested in economy, not power but if it delivers 100 extra lbs ft, then reduced gear changes should reduce fuel consumption. My big concern is whether insurance would go up because it has been modified - is there any experience of this?

I understand if, in the next few years I go on expedition to places with crap fuel quality, would have to go back to original factory settings.

Post #62907329th Mar 2010 3:38 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Re restoring remap for crap fuel, where U talking about?? Ins uplift depends on company, mine went up for one but not SWMBO's. No issues blanking a 54 plater, AFAIK you need to do both.

Post #62907429th Mar 2010 3:44 pm
al cope

England 

egr blanking does not affect MOT at all.

Remap (I guess you are talking about our friends in Coventry Thumbs Up ), "should" be decalred to your insurer.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #62908629th Mar 2010 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Re restoring remap for crap fuel, where U talking about?? Ins uplift depends on company, mine went up for one but not SWMBO's. No issues blanking a 54 plater, AFAIK you need to do both.

I was thinking of North Africa, where diesel may have higher sulphur content than here, although most of Morocco probably OK.

Post #62914829th Mar 2010 6:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ISTR peeps going to Morocco with remapped d3s had no issues, same with me & gaggle of similarly enhanced d3s on the last 2 Tunisia trips. Obviously we bought fuel from reasonable fuel stations, not the stuff at the side of the road in old orange squash containers. Thumbs Up

Post #62915129th Mar 2010 7:02 pm
nigelc

al cope wrote:
egr blanking does not affect MOT at all.

Remap (I guess you are talking about our friends in Coventry Thumbs Up ), "should" be decalred to your insurer.

Al

I should really direct this question to "our friends in Coventry (airport) but does the extra torque strain the transmission. Judging from the D4, JLR don't have a manual transmission/clutch that can handle the 600 lbs of the 3.0 (or maybe there's no demand) - remapped 2.7 must be c 540

Post #62925529th Mar 2010 8:59 pm
StephenM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Remap and Insurance

I recently had a BAS remap and all my insurance company wanted was £67 increased premium.
I am now getting an extra 4mpg and it pulls my boat much more easily. I think it gave an extra 38bhp and 88Nm torque but Pete at Bell Autos would know better. All I know is that it has made the D3 an even better car to drive.
Although many on here would nod and wink about informing the insurers I would hate to get caught out and find that they refused to pay up - just so I could save £67. Crying or Very sad
 Stephen
-------- 

Post #62949530th Mar 2010 12:40 pm
MCW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Would you not also need to inform your insurance company about blanking the EGRs as it could be considered (if it suited them) as a modified engine?

Post #62957430th Mar 2010 3:46 pm
al cope

England 

if you just fit the blanking plates at the bottom the the pipes (and dont remove them), its not visible when looking at the engine. Also, you havnt modified it, you carried out a temp repair to get you home Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #62957830th Mar 2010 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

MCW wrote:
Would you not also need to inform your insurance company about blanking the EGRs as it could be considered (if it suited them) as a modified engine?

a) they wouldn't be interested as it wouldn't show up on their database; b) could always say temporary repair

Re remap, checked with my insure Esure, and they said no impact on premium.

Post #62979430th Mar 2010 10:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >