Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

elddis, bailey or swift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
elddis, bailey or swift

Advice or comments please chaps. Spent a good day at NEC yest looking at vans. Seen a layout we quite like. Fixed bunks at back with a corner rear bathroom and side dinette. The above makers all produce this design. Friends have got baileys and seem happy, we liked the bathroom in elddis and the swift was nice and bright due to roof light above front window. Anyone got any positive or more importantly negative thoughts on the makes above. Adria was another option but not sure on dealer network.
comments would be greatly received.
Cheers Dan Thumbs Up

Post #99249521st Oct 2012 9:18 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

We have a Bailey and it is the first one we have owned, have had Lunar, Avondale and Dethleffs, Bailey is probably the best one we have had so far, hope that helps.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #99250021st Oct 2012 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Can only speak from personal experience Confused Used to have a Compass Reflection, bought it new in 1993, kept it for 9yrs and never a days problem from a 'budget' van and sold it for 55% of its value! Very Happy

then had an Elddis Avante 524, great van, kept for 5 years, no probs and only dropped £3K on it Smile
NOW I got a Swift Charisma 550D (Iona) Mad bought it new last year, had a whole host of problems which have been fixed after 5 trips back to dealer but confidence in it is wrecked Sad If I could sell it without losing a bomb I would ditch it tomorrow, God knows whats going to go wrong next and just waiting on the warranty to expire in 2 years time Crying or Very sad

I say again, this is my experience and I won't buy another Swift - I'm sure others have had great vans but mines is a dud Big Cry

Anyone want to buy it??? Mr. Green Wink Thumbs Up

Post #99250521st Oct 2012 9:35 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Asking which is best is a bit like asking a football fan which is the best team, he will naturally say his team. Very Happy

IMHO (as a Swift owner ) I go for the layout and trimings I (and MrsG) like and go for that one, they all have some niggles.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #99250621st Oct 2012 9:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Look at the spec of a Hobby and you won't touch a U.K. made caravan with a barge pole, insulation and heating system you can use all year round without freezing, roof you can walk on, 5yrs warranty against water ingress just to name a few.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #99250921st Oct 2012 9:40 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

M3DPO wrote:
Look at the spec of a Hobby and you won't touch a U.K. made caravan with a barge pole, insulation and heating system you can use all year round without freezing, roof you can walk on, 5yrs warranty against water ingress just to name a few.

Bailey tick all those boxes, first rate insulation, Alde heating, at the end of the day it is down to personal choice and layout.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #99251521st Oct 2012 9:53 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Russell wrote:
We have a Bailey and it is the first one we have owned, have had Lunar, Avondale and Dethleffs, Bailey is probably the best one we have had so far, hope that helps.

+ 1 Thumbs Up

We've had various in the past 20 years - current Bristol offering is on a par with our previous Stirling.

Post #99251621st Oct 2012 9:53 pm
subaru60

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ive had a bailey from new and never had a problem got a sterling made by swift now only 10 months old been back 3 times for minor things to be done its the inconvenice of taking it back that anoys me as for the german stuff ie hobbys ,tabbert, they are very well made and finished nice but because people think that only gypsys have them it makes there second hand value alot less than an english made van but i think the german stuff is well made

Post #99253321st Oct 2012 10:55 pm
twoakers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We have had several caravans over the years.......
Get a nice big twin axle Coachman. Thumbs Up
As of this year we now have a Coachman Laser 650/4 and absolutely love it.
Fixed island double bed, separate shower and toilet, air con, big kitchen etc etc.
Easy to tow with a Disco 3/4 - that's what they are made for Rolling with laughter
Twin axles are more stable and safer to tow IMHO
 Cheers, Dave in Essex
D3 07 TDV6 HSE
Clubs - Turbo changed, EGR valves replaced, General Grabber ATs, Hawkeye FC reader, Front/rear wishbones, manual gearbox change, autobox flush, cam belt change, HPFP belt change, oil pump change....
Coachman Laser 650/4 caravan
Amateur Radio Callsign - G8PAI
Playing with Big Boys Toys! 

Post #99253921st Oct 2012 11:11 pm
Klinkhammer

Scotland 

Ha d Swift and Bailey both on a par. Currently Bailey as fancied the new construction.

Go for twin axle you won't regret the space or the stability and the disco will handle with aplomb.
 I'm to old to know everything......
D4 Gone over to the Dark Side (D5)
D3 gone ...... But now want one for knocking about! Is this a form of insanity? 

Post #99254321st Oct 2012 11:18 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Personally I think there is not one UK manufacturer of mainstream vans that stands head and shoulders above the others.

It's all down to personal choice and make sure you pick a good dealer !!!

Our first van was a new swift - rubbish. Now own a bailey unicorn as Russell. Faultless.
 2013 Evoque  
Post #99258122nd Oct 2012 7:59 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Madrunner wrote:
Personally I think there is not one UK manufacturer of mainstream vans that stands head and shoulders above the others.

It's all down to personal choice and make sure you pick a good dealer !!!

Our first van was a new swift - rubbish. Now own a bailey unicorn as Russell. Faultless.

Would agree with the main stream comment however Inos were at the NEC and they stand way above all others including German vans.
D4 camera club 

Post #99260022nd Oct 2012 8:45 am
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had a bailey prior to this van which is a hobby the bailey was a great van but the hobby is excellent but as others say its you're choice just liked the extra width and space age shape and the quality of the finish

Post #99260122nd Oct 2012 8:49 am
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks guys. Seems more positive for bailey. The layout we were happy with on any of the 3. Dont want to be back and forth to dealers for problems after all i bought the disco for that pleasure !! Laughing
Has anyone had experience of an Elddis? Now the show is over we will have a ride round the dealers and have a closer look at them all. The show was to manic for that!!

Post #99260322nd Oct 2012 8:50 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Andy Buelbeast as a good one for sale Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #99265422nd Oct 2012 10:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >