Electrical gremlins, interior lights and passenger seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3
Electrical gremlins, interior lights and passenger seat

Hello All,

Hope you are all doing well today Smile

Discovery virgin, picked up a Discovery 3 about a week ago and had a few issues to contend with all ready!!! The main one being the very normal sun roof leak in to passenger footwell. Replaced both front drains and still drain the very thick carpet.

Not sure if the above has anything to do with the problems I an now having non of the electrics seemed wet just the carpet and no corrosion that I can see, but my interior lights are acting odd and I have also found that without the front middle switch on the passenger electric seat doesn't work...

Seat first the above describes the current status but I am not sure if there has been stages getting to here...... we first noticed a problem that the passenger seat was not working whilst driving at this point we had made no connection to the interior light so not sure if that was the influencing factor.

Whilst playing about with the front centre light switch I heard a relay click under the passenger seat so feel like something may have been connected up wrong (to replace the drains you have to remove the fuse box) although the connections seem very straight forward. Centre light switch on passenger seat works, centre switch off passenger seat doesn't work.

All the other interior lights seem to have the same problem, the vanity mirror light don't work unless the from centre switch is on, not does the rear interior lights put it on everything works independently but as soon as you switch it off everything else goes off.

Checked fuse 1 and fuse 29, I know that everything works because it does just not in the right conditions.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? or got any tips on how to fault find? the headlining has been down but nothing disconnected to my knowledge.

Best Wishes

Lee

Post #21597048th Jul 2020 4:34 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like an earthing problem - when the switch completes the circuit you also have an earth so it may be just a connector or the actual earth bolt.

Post #21598439th Jul 2020 5:50 am
Rio

Thanks for the response and idea its a good place to begin.

I have started investigating and looks like I have either made it worse and caused another fault or have revealed the issue Surprised

I dropped the head lining to make sure cables where not trapped after changing the sunroof drain pipes and nothing seemed to be out of place.... I have put the head lining back as well as putting the sun visors and a pillar trim back and now fuse 1 10amp is blowing so guess when putting the trim back something has shorted.

Given up for tonight getting dark but will take the trim out again tomorrow to see if I can find the short.

Post #21600689th Jul 2020 9:26 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You may have put a screw through a cable.

Post #21600849th Jul 2020 9:46 pm
Rio

Unfortunately I suspect you are right... should be an easy fix Surprised just hope that is the complete fix and not another fault.

Post #21601009th Jul 2020 10:20 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Look for damaged green white wire

Post #21601059th Jul 2020 10:30 pm
Rio

Thank you for the advice will check in a bit. Can I ask what is the green / white wire? do you think that's the one I have shorted or relates to the other issue?

Best Wishes

Lee

Post #216017210th Jul 2020 9:18 am
Rio

Managed to grab 10 mins, took down the roof lining again and one by one during screw removal tested the fuse, popped every time.... I have disconnected the loom at the A post UK drivers side and the fuse no longer pops so there is obviously a problem in the roof lining. Oh and as people suspected the passenger seat seems to be operating normally again

Progress and thanks for all your comments and support.

Only had my Discovery 3 for a week and I already love it despite all the little niggles!!! not sure why I haven't had one in my life before now at the age of 49.

Looks like there is a really good and supportive community for Discos as well which is a real boost.

Best Wishes

Lee

Post #216021210th Jul 2020 11:01 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

green white does the reading lights, sunvisors etc

It's easy to trap the sun visor connectors on some cars

If you replace the fuse with a headlight bulb, e.g a H3, (or whatever you have spare 55W) it will glow brightly when there is a fault condition with the wiring. If it's on dim, then the wiring is ok.
You can then loosen screws etc. propd around watching the brightness of the bulb.

ensure the bulb doesn't melt anything

Post #216021710th Jul 2020 11:10 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good tip Peter

Post #216022410th Jul 2020 11:55 am
Rio

Thanks Guys, looks like it the sun visors lights... took the main connector out on the driver side a post, fuse doesn't blow, passenger seat works as normal, disconnected all interior lights reconnected fuse holds, connected the rear interior light fuse holds, connect the front interior light fuse holds and the bonus being the seat works the lights work correctly big thumbs up!!!!

The only thing left to connect you guessed it first Pete (massive thumbs up).... looking closely the drivers side wires look nasty soothing its probably there and as suggested trapped cable the metal work is very sharp in the roof. I suspect a bit of insulation tape and carefully putting them back in to place is the answer.

Thanks All much appreciated.

Post #216024810th Jul 2020 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >