Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

engine system fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
adara

Romania 

Yes, I presume it's about the turbocharger - well, a part of it anyway. I haven't received an official answer yet, it's just a mechanic's opinion I got over the phone...

Post #2801114th Nov 2005 11:02 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No, no, you said the dealer mentions the "turbine". A duff turbocharger will result in poor engine performance, but it will still run. What I was wondering is whether what they meant by turbine was turbo.

Post #2801214th Nov 2005 11:07 pm
adara

Romania 

Yes that's what he said, a part of the turbine needs to be replaced and it's not available, it must be ordered at the factory...

Post #2801414th Nov 2005 11:10 pm
adara

Romania 

It is noon and I still haven't got any informations about the fault yet. However I managed to get an e-mail adress for the Land Rover customer support and I made a complaint. Did you notice how hard it is to contact Land Rover?

Post #2804915th Nov 2005 11:38 am
adara

Romania 

A new day, a new theory. It seems the electric fans were defective. At least that would explain the smell. They are trying to replace them with those from a test drive car...

Post #2807115th Nov 2005 5:26 pm
adara

Romania 

Today I finally got a written answer about the fault, they say (i'll try to translate) trouble with the forced air supply system!? In Romanian "sistemul de supraalimentare cu aer". But the car is still being "extensivelly tested"...

Post #2821316th Nov 2005 2:01 pm
BN

England 

adara wrote:
Today I finally got a written answer about the fault, they say (i'll try to translate) trouble with the forced air supply system!? In Romanian "sistemul de supraalimentare cu aer". But the car is still being "extensivelly tested"...

Forced air sounds like the radiator cooling fans to me?

Post #2823416th Nov 2005 4:29 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Or the turbocharger.........

Post #2825216th Nov 2005 4:53 pm
adara

Romania 

I'm not certain, but from their explanations I'd say the turbocharger. I'll see tomorrow, at least I hope so.

Post #2826516th Nov 2005 6:36 pm
adara

Romania 

Well, I finally got it back! They said they changed the turbocharger with the one from a demo car. I used it extensively today and I am so pleased, no more error messages.. However I have a few gripes with my TDV6 SE auto.
The strangest thing is the fuel consumption. Leaving the showroom, I made a reset of the average fuel consumption and after some 5 miles it was up to 3MPG!!! After 25 miles this dropped to 9.5MPG and after 50 miles it was 17MPG... It seems to stay around this value now and this is unacceptable. Do you think they broke something while replacing the turbocharger? Or do I have to wait more to get a decent value? The car has 95 miles now.
Second I am feeling the road bumps in the steering wheel. Maybe it is normal in a Disco, but it didn't happen in my previous cars, even if they were shaking more, this is a new sensation for me.
Then as BN noted, the seat is strange. I feel a pressure on my thighs. However the passenger didn't notice.
Folding the seats, especially the 2nd row, is difficult. Maybe they will loosen but right now it requires some force.
I programmed a visit to the dealer mostly for the consumption problem. I would appreciate some opinions on this point. Thank you.

Post #2847118th Nov 2005 8:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

adara wrote:
Well, I finally got it back! They said they changed the turbocharger with the one from a demo car. I used it extensively today and I am so pleased, no more error messages.. However I have a few gripes with my TDV6 SE auto.
The strangest thing is the fuel consumption. Leaving the showroom, I made a reset of the average fuel consumption and after some 5 miles it was up to 3MPG!!! After 25 miles this dropped to 9.5MPG and after 50 miles it was 17MPG... It seems to stay around this value now and this is unacceptable. Do you think they broke something while replacing the turbocharger? Or do I have to wait more to get a decent value? The car has 95 miles now.
Second I am feeling the road bumps in the steering wheel. Maybe it is normal in a Disco, but it didn't happen in my previous cars, even if they were shaking more, this is a new sensation for me.
Then as BN noted, the seat is strange. I feel a pressure on my thighs. However the passenger didn't notice.
Folding the seats, especially the 2nd row, is difficult. Maybe they will loosen but right now it requires some force.
I programmed a visit to the dealer mostly for the consumption problem. I would appreciate some opinions on this point. Thank you.

Your fuel consumption will improve. If its auto gearbox, it should do about 25 -27 mpg. Manual gears should do 28 -32mpg.

Bumps through the steering wheel, I do get a bit of kickback, but nothing to worry me. Don't forget that the car is a heavy car with heavy suspension, there is bound to be a bit of kickback. What car did you have before?

EDIT>> sorry just noticed you have an auto. They are a bit thirsty. Mine is auto and I average about 25 mpg

Post #2847618th Nov 2005 8:28 pm
adara

Romania 

This is very strange, it seems several owners experienced the same turbocharger issue: http://landrover.haveyoursay.com/2005/07/n...t-11715018

Post #306431st Dec 2005 6:24 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I have a customer with a similar problem...his car keep 'cutting out' at 20-25 mph and going into 'limp home' mode with no power. Yet when he turns the ignition on and off all is fine (The car is original and not 'Chipped' yet as we want to sort the problem first)
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #306441st Dec 2005 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SimonW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

A week ago, I lost power. Felt like I had hit 4th not 2nd. It would not rev past 2,500 rpm in neutral. Stopped and switched off and then got a ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT message but no beeps or lights. It started ok. Been ok since. Main Dealer could not really find anything wrong, but want it back in tomorrow for 2 days as they think it is a broken wire and want to find it or replace the loom. I am loathe for them to mess with the loom unless it is a known fault as I have not had the fault since.

I also reported:
-Cabin Pre-heat only working with 10 minutes notice, not overnight.
-Handbrake sometimes not releasing properly and squeals. They are going to replace the pads.
-Handbrake sometimes does not come on automatically when you switch off, so you get out and it rolls away !!
-Mirrors sometimes do not return to normal after angling down on reverese.

Will let you know.
 Nov '54' TDV6 SE Manual 25,000 miles - Excellent !! Don't buy an Auto until you have driven a Manual !!!!

'89 Classic 3.5i
Prev:
'00 4.6 RR Vogue,
'98 300Tdi 90 CSW,
'99 Freelander 

Post #312806th Dec 2005 10:11 am
BN

England 

SimonW wrote:
A week ago, I lost power. Felt like I had hit 4th not 2nd. It would not rev past 2,500 rpm in neutral. Stopped and switched off and then got a ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT message but no beeps or lights. It started ok. Been ok since. Main Dealer could not really find anything wrong, but want it back in tomorrow for 2 days as they think it is a broken wire and want to find it or replace the loom. I am loathe for them to mess with the loom unless it is a known fault as I have not had the fault since.

I also reported:
-Cabin Pre-heat only working with 10 minutes notice, not overnight.
-Handbrake sometimes not releasing properly and squeals. They are going to replace the pads.
-Handbrake sometimes does not come on automatically when you switch off, so you get out and it rolls away !!
-Mirrors sometimes do not return to normal after angling down on reverese.

Will let you know.

Did you EPQR all the defects and see the dealer do it, vital ?

Also, the car mapping has a situation where sometimes it gets confused as to on road and off road power. Did you floor the gas when it struggled or as normal press and hope.

Post #313746th Dec 2005 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >