DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Engine System Fault and DTC B1D6596
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DISCOSK8

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Engine System Fault and DTC B1D6596

Hi

My D3 has done just over 105K Miles and I have now started having intermittent Engine System Faults, I brought a cheep ELM reader and have used it with the iOS app Car Scanner, the scan shows 3 faults. U012287, B0D6596 and C005164, the first and last code are global the B1 is unique to landrover x but I can’t find what it means. The scanner has a deep scan mode but is has lots of warnings about it being a prototype and could screw up the ecu, So up to the user if they use it. I have not used it so far. I have looked on the hidden screen on the display and can’t see any information there ( am I using the wron access code?). When I accelerate there is quite a bit of black smoke when the info panel is displaying the fault. But there does not seem to be any loss of power. Any ideas please?....

Also is the a good scanner & iPad elm reader on the market, the ones I have tried seem pretty much like poo, the iPad has a descendant enough processor and display so don’t understand why there is not a good scanner and software. Thanks.
Chris.

Post #195524319th Jun 2018 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Only one reader to go for BT IID Tool

Post #195527019th Jun 2018 11:08 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Looking at the LR pinpoint tests and from what I can see in the workshop manual,

B1D65 seems to relate to the adaptive front lighting system motors0122

U0122 relates to the Dynamic Response System control module or the Instrument Pack; the instrument pack pinpoint test is designed to test for the Vehicle Dynamics Control Module (VDM) failure, so likely same as the DRS side of things.

C0051 seems to pinpoint to the steering angle sensor module

Post #195533319th Jun 2018 2:45 pm
DISCOSK8

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Gentlemen for your advice and help.

Is there a website that gives a comprehensive list of LRDTCs. I have looked but can’t find one that had the B Dtc codes.

I had a look at the BT elm - it’s a bit expensive at £400, I can’t afford that as I fear a big bill on its way. Is there a cheaper alternative or is there a website that reviews and compares elm2 readers/Software please.

Thanks again

Chris.

Post #195551220th Jun 2018 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The info I’ve gotten is from the JLR SDD software version 138.

It is possible to access the ‘pinpoint’ tests directly without using the SDD software, so no logins required or connection to the car.

The best 3rd party tool around by general consensus, seems to be the GAP IID tool; I use this and can happily say it has paid for itself within a few weeks.

There is also https://blackbox-solutions.com With their NanoCom Evolution and faultmate, but I think they are a similar price point.

Britpart do the lynx evolution but if I understand correctly, this is just a diagnostic tool and does not allow configuring the CCF files or allow ecu updates.

https://www.icarsoft.com Do diagnostic tools from about £100 on eBay, and these are LR compatible from what they say. Again, diag only.

The other option is to go the route of JLRs software, but you need a windows based laptop and vci cable.

Officially you need a supported VCI cable, such as the Drewtech Mongoose Pro that comes in about $500, together with the JLR SDD software that you can download from JLR for free but needs a TOPix subscription to use it. Current version is 153 I think and you cannot access the pinpoint files on this one.

If you look on eBay you can find Chinese knockoff ‘Mangoose ‘ cables bundled with older versions of software that are ‘preregistered’, so no login required, but they seem to suggest you cannot connect the computer to the internet or the software and cable will break, so almost certainly dodgy.

There are a couple of (UK) websites, such as www.jlridssddmongoose.com and cartool.co.uk that openly offer diagnostic packages, but highly likely as with the eBay ones you are taking a big chance. These weigh in from £30-£120.

Does get you access to diagnostic functions and the potential to upgrade the CCF files and ecu software, as well as run pinpoint tests, but at the risk of bricking your car with no warranty or comeback.

Edit: worth saying that from reading the jaguar owner forums, this option seems popular amongst jag owners, and there is a lot of info there on using them. Some horror stories too!

So there are plenty of options, but comes down to what you want to be able to do in the short term and long term versus the level of risk you want to expose yourself to.

Post #195552320th Jun 2018 10:45 am
cosmic329

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My view is to go with the GAP-Diagnostics IID BT tool per the suggestion from L319. Go to the GAP website and look at the description - there is also a full list of the codes there. You'll need to trace the problem to the root cause code as it is likely that a couple of those are consequential errors. My brother's D3 had the adaptive motor error (as well as several others) caused by an ABS-sensor failure... Shocked
 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '65 - Projects in planning phase!

Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '61 - gone
Discovery 3 Tdv6 HSE '56 - gone
Defender 90 Tomb Raider '51 - gone
Defender 110 XS '54 - gone 

Post #195552920th Jun 2018 11:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >