Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine System Faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MiLow

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Engine System Faults

I had a new turbo and MAP sensor fitted last year which seemed to cure the many “Engine System Faults” I was experiencing. However, I have recently been towing a loaded car transporter and have begun to suffer these faults once more. This only occurs when the car is loaded. The fault occurs shortly after climbing a gentle hill on a motorway or dual carriageway. I will climb the hill at 60mph with the revs under 2k and the auto gearbox in 6th. As I pass over the crest of the hill and gently release the throttle to maintain 60mph, I will get an “Engine System Fault” with the usual messages for special programs off, no power etc. I am used to seeking bus stops, side roads, laybys etc to stop, turn off and re-start Crying or Very sad

I have tried experimenting by putting the autobox into “Sport” mode and have not suffered a single fault when towing or with the car loaded with people.

Any thoughts appreciated. I don’t look forward to a repeat of last years diagnostics and repairs saga with my dealer!

Post #46767915th May 2009 1:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does your trailer have LED's fitted, at all?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #46781715th May 2009 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MiLow

No - trailer lights all standard filament type.

Before I had the turbo and MAP sensor replaced, I was getting the faults without the trailer attached. However, it was still the same with the faults occuring just after I had crested the top of a hill and easing off the throttle slightly to maintain a steady speed. It looks like the original problem is still there but now only shows up with the engine under more load and possibly labouring slightly up hill towing 2Te.

It was interesting that when I use "sport" setting on the gearbox I avoid any faults occuring. The engine revs being higher due to being in 5th rather than 6th at 60mph seems significant.

Cheers
Mike

Post #46784115th May 2009 7:45 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

ahh a fellow tower, questions

1) how long (time wise) had you been driving with the trailer attached when the message came up?
2) Have you checked your that all your brake lights/lights are working on both the trailer and disco bearing in mind you might have LED running lights down the side?

reason, had exactly the same issue a few weeks ago! A14, Cambridgeshire, empty trailer, had driven him constantly from Carlise to Newmarket full, had around 1.5 hours standing still whilst handing over new car, 20 mins late I'm on the return leg home, "Bong" up comes the fault message and the "read the Censored manual you numpty" symbol!

No loss of power, coasted to nearest layby, turned him off for 5 mins whilst I had a good look about, started him again and drove ok home, put it down to the transfer fluid overheating, been fine ever since (lets hope) Confused

My error message was "transmission fault" are you sure it said "system" fault?

Post #46788715th May 2009 9:41 pm
MiLow

Interesting questions. I have never considered the time significant, but the faults normally don't occur in the 1st hour or so of driving. I have checked trailer and brake lights and they are all working and no LEDs.

I wonder if it could be gearbox related, although message is always "Engine System Fault, special programs not available" and loss of power although engine will still rev Exclamation

Post #46805416th May 2009 11:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >