Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine Valet damges gearbox unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Engine Valet damges gearbox unit

We have just returned from Bots and I sent my vehicle in for a full valet. I was later called to be told that they cannot move my vehicle after spraying the engine with the usual high pressure gun.

Warnings on the dash were HDC, Brakes, and text warning of 'gearbox/traction fault'. I started the engine but there was no reverse or forward gear available. Zip, Trying to put the lever into park, resulted in a grating noise from the locking pin. I contacted LR and was advised to remove the battery and spray Q20 on the plugs & various modules situated there (supposedly in a closed box).

After some 3 hours of trying, LR sent a low bed vehicle to transport the LR to George. Here comes the surprise! Shocked

I was informed that the Transfer Case Module was faulty due to water ingress. (I thought these modules are supposed to be in a sealed location!) and the cost would be R6,600 for the module! This excludes the labour, transport etc and it is not covered by warranty!!!

To date I have never opened up the battery box but LR installed the dual battery system prior to delivery. This means any problems in this area should be for their account or am I wrong?

Any info will help. I wonder what the MV Ombudsman will say.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #64059924th Apr 2010 2:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ian62

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm sure I read it on this website or even in the owners handbook that you are not meant to use a high pressure hose in the engine bay Whistle

Simple wading through water has nothing like the pressure a high pressure hose can inflict.

Feel sorry for you mate Big Cry
 Stadt Panzer Power  
Post #64061524th Apr 2010 3:39 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Valet company should foot the bill and they should also be well aware that high pressure hoses should not be used under the bonnet of most modern cars. I worked for Renault several years ago, and they would not even sanction a normal hose let alone a high pressure one.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #64066224th Apr 2010 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rencolyn

Gearbox damage after Valet

We have just returned from Bots and I sent my vehicle in for a full valet. I was later called to be told that they cannot move my vehicle after spraying the engine with the usual high pressure gun.

Warnings on the dash were HDC, Brakes, and text warning of 'gearbox/traction fault'. I started the engine but there was no reverse or forward gear available. Zip, Trying to put the lever into park, resulted in a grating noise from the locking pin. I contacted LR and was advised to remove the battery and spray Q20 on the plugs & various modules situated there (supposedly in a closed box).

After some 3 hours of trying, LR sent a low bed vehicle to transport the LR to George. Here comes the surprise! Shocked

I was informed that the Transfer Case Module was faulty due to water ingress. (I thought these modules are supposed to be in a sealed location!) and the cost would be R6,600 for the module! This excludes the labour, transport etc and it is not covered by warranty!!!

To date I have never opened up the battery box but LR installed the dual battery system prior to delivery. This means any problems in this area should be for their account or am I wrong?

Any info will help. I wonder what the MV Ombudsman will say. See some comments at

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/posting.php?...e003519482

This post has been edited by the site administration team

Please post same topic once only
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #64075425th Apr 2010 6:05 am
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

It is not Land Rover's fault that the valet company used a high pressure water jet.

Why should LR pay?

Claim off the valet company or your insurance. Sorry.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #64075925th Apr 2010 8:38 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Rencolyn,
Unfortunately, this is a well-known weakness with the D3, but is nothing to do with fitting the dual battery system.

The transfer case ECU is NOT in a sealed box, but behind the main battery box.

You may be able to recover by spraying the ECU and the connector with WD40.

It's unlikely that LR will accept the cost.

LR have repositioned the ECU in the aux battery box in the D4.

Good Luck,
Peter
PS: I know that this is a bit late, but NEVER use a high pressure spray in the engine compartment.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #64105726th Apr 2010 2:48 am
SteveV

South Africa 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If this is such a well know problem surely there is a solution by now. What is the feasibility of having the ECU sealed and waterproofed? If this is possible are there are cooling/heating issues to the ECU over time? Is it only moisture in the ECU which causes all the problems or are there other electronic modules or plugs/connectors which can cause these failures? Question Shocked

Last edited by SteveV on 27th Apr 2010 6:52 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #64107226th Apr 2010 7:42 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It is unlikely that the ECU would fail, isn't it? Surely it should be recoverable by drying it out and spraying with WD40 like bushwanderer said?

Post #64109026th Apr 2010 8:37 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I know CaverD3 suggests also coating the ECU/plug in a sealant (Plasticote?).

I don't think that overheating is a problem.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #64155626th Apr 2010 11:10 pm
SteveV

South Africa 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have not seen inside an ECU box so I should really not be commenting, but...... Water and electronics are mortal enemies. You might be lucky to save the ECU by drying the unit out and spraying with 'WD40' but IMHO I would think that would be more of an exception. I've managed to rescue some electronic boards (with discrete components)(not ECUs) by drying them out, but this is usually if found before power is applied to the board. The majority of boards with water on them will have blown components. As these ECUs in the LR are exposed to dusty and sandy conditions, when the moisture is added mud results and will sit under the electronic components and even if sprayed with WD40 could cause shorting of the pins of the ICs. With the new technology surface mounted electronic components the pins are so close together that shorting out is virtually guaranteed. If the unit is sealed or well protected from moisture then these ECU faults would not be occurring, correct?

Post #64160527th Apr 2010 7:22 am
bearman

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: Engine Valet damges gearbox unit

Rencolyn wrote:

I was informed that the Transfer Case Module was faulty due to water ingress. (I thought these modules are supposed to be in a sealed location!) and the cost would be R6,600 for the module!

Sure I paid under R2000.00 for mine replaced, 6 weeks back will look for the invoice and check. Certain it was the TCM they replaced.

Post #64215128th Apr 2010 10:59 am
bearman

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Got the invoice out Description is "Fond corrosion in transfer box control module" code NNW512070 Replaced, "MODULE - TRANSFE" (Rest is cut off) R2261.44 seems it might be the same thing how come the difference in price? Shocked The invoice was dated 18/03/2010.

Post #64238428th Apr 2010 7:30 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dealer showed me a failed one yesterday, just circuit board in an aluminium box. You just straighten the tabs to remove the top cover.
I gave mine a good spray on the outside but having seen one I will open mine up and spray the board.
You will need to seal the boots that cover the connectors as well to prevent the connectors getting shorted with water.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #64258229th Apr 2010 2:24 am
Rencolyn

Thumbs Up Problem amicably solved by Dealer. Bow down
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #6437732nd May 2010 4:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >