Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Engines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I am thinking Q7 as well for the reason above.

Additionaly, here in Hungary the dealer (we have only one in the country) is so bad that you cannot belive. There is still nothing about the new Discovery 5 on there website. When I phoned them, they could not tell me, what the price or when the price will be released, or when they have a car, etc. For every question on the Discovery 5, their answer was "we do not know it yet". Ridiculous Censored
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #172251621st Oct 2016 9:25 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm off to view a D5 in a few weeks but I'm also looking at the Q7 and Merc GL. I'm yet to be convinced by what I've read and seen about the D5. If it had a split tail gate than it would be a done deal with the 3.0l but the one unique standout feature that set the Discovery apart from all others has been canned. Sad
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #172251821st Oct 2016 9:31 am
J77

Scotland 

Mralig wrote:
First post here.

Has anyone heard anything further on the Ingenium 6 cylinder or SDV6 in the Discovery 5.

I currently have a RRS HSE Dynamic.

My main issue is there isn't much room in the third row seats and the boots isn't that large for such a large car.

I thought the Discovery would be exactly what I needed until I saw the engine choices. I pointed out to a rather non plussed salesman that it is pretty much the slowest car you can buy for £60,000.

Like YT above I have been seriously considering a Q7 or SQ7. I test drove everything similar to the Discovery 5, which I felt to be the Q7, XC90 and Tesla Model X. All 7 seater cars, the only other option is maybe a Mercedes GLS, but I have driven an R-Class and it felt like a bus as well as feeling like a car out of the dark ages. I was very surprised that the Q7 was as quiet and as smooth riding as the RRS. The Tesla was too noisy and I don't like that you can't fold down the middle seats and the XC90 felt like a cheaper car that has been tarted up.

So I ended up Q7 or Discover 5 and then waited on the unveiling.

I like the looks of it. I like the space. It probably feels more luxurious than a Q7, although less hi tech. But For £10k more it is way slower. A Q7 3.0 S-Line gets to 62 in 6.5s or for £10k more than a Discovery 5 I could get an Sq7 that gets to 62 in 4.9. I have also factored in the 10%+ discounts you can get on a Q7. Although you lose it at the other end in higher depreciation.

My suspicion is that the Ingenium 6 cylinder will be in the Discovery 5 around the end of next year. It will be lighter and faster and more economical. This would fix my main issue. Magazine articles suggest it will be 275, 340 or 400hp. Even 275 plus a lighter engine would be an improvement. Although maybe a Discovery SVR would be nice with 400 Very Happy

The Disco isn't a sports car and was never intended to be a sports SUV that's what the RRS is for IMO, the SDV6 (256hp) engine in the current Disco ain't no slouch, it pulls well and its smooth. The TD6 in the new car is up again slightly on horse power 258. For me 0-62 times don't come into the equation when buying a Disco, it's how it fills its roll as a big, practical load lugger and the current is second to none but LR have crossed that boundary with the new Disco.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #172255121st Oct 2016 10:50 am
al cope

England 

I have it on good authority that the 5Ltr SC will be in the D5 SVR Thumbs Up

Nah - just kidding
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #172257821st Oct 2016 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mralig

United Kingdom 

J77 wrote:

The Disco isn't a sports car and was never intended to be a sports SUV that's what the RRS is for IMO, the SDV6 (256hp) engine in the current Disco ain't no slouch, it pulls well and its smooth. The TD6 in the new car is up again slightly on horse power 258. For me 0-62 times don't come into the equation when buying a Disco, it's how it fills its roll as a big, practical load lugger and the current is second to none but LR have crossed that boundary with the new Disco.

You're right. The Discovery isn't a sports car. But the Discovery 5 as positioned is now a luxury family car.

I understand this isn't perhaps what past owners purchased. Personally I would never have bought a previous Discovery as it is simply too heavy, but I mainly am looking for a large practical family car.

Having repositioned the car as such with a large price increase and an interior almost identical to the RRS you have to consider its position in the market. I don't need a car that does 0-62 in 5 or 6 seconds, but at over 8 seconds you have a car with similar performance to a 1.4TSI Golf coming in at £20,000 or slightly slower than a BMW 520d at 35,000. It is slower than the 2.0D T5 XC90 at around £50,000 and much slower than an X5, Q7 etc all of which have moved from being more expensive cars than the D4 to cheaper cars than the D5. Already the RRS has worse straight line performance than these cars, but I accept that as it has excellent handling and refinement in comparison. I have to note that LR quote a 0-60 time of 7.7 seconds for the Discovery 5, but the 0-62 time which most other manufacturers quote for comparison is over 8seconds. Also most tests I have seen on the RRS suggest that LR are much more optimistic with their quoted performance figures than other manufacturers.

The issue is that they have moved the Discovery from being one of the cheaper large SUVs priced in the £45k range after discounts, to a car likely priced in the £60-65k range. With this comes higher expectations. £60,000 should not be getting you a car with run of the mill performance. I think 0-62 in around 7 seconds should be a minimum requirement for a £60,000 car.

Post #172262221st Oct 2016 1:46 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

0-62mph times irrelevant in today's world. A better judge of performance is mid range acceleration for safe overtaking.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #172262421st Oct 2016 2:01 pm
Mralig

United Kingdom 

That's fair.

I am using 0-62 as a proxy without further information. As most large cars are turbocharged nowadays you rarely have the issue of highly stressed engines producing good 0-62 but poor in gear figures. Generally there is a good correlation between 0-62 and 30-70. I think it's a reasonable guess that the Discovery 5 will be one of the slowest cars in the class for in gear acceleration also.

Post #172263121st Oct 2016 2:21 pm
J77

Scotland 

Yes the current Disco is heavy, but it's a safe, practical, family car and is capable of leaving many cars standing at traffic lights. I still fail to see the relevance of 0-62 times as a priority when buying a car like a Discovery, has plenty power for safe overtaking which is all that's needed. Maybe I'm just being thick.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #172263921st Oct 2016 2:39 pm
Mralig

United Kingdom 

Of course you're not being thick. Just different priorities.

I love the idea of a car that can do everything. The RRS gets close to that for me. Refined, luxurious, 7 seats, good handling and performance.

I'd like two more things. More technology, especially for safety and a little more space. The Discovery 5 delivers these but loses out on performance. If someone else has different priorities to me then they might find it exactly what they need.

I drive mainly in town with some dual carriageway/motorway and virtually never on A roads. Thus throttle response and 0-30 are more important than they might otherwise be. Also you really feel the weight of a heavier car on tight turns, it's much less of an issue out of town. The RRS produces a nice balance of handling and ride. Prior to that I had an X5 which was too stiff but I accepted that versus poor handling as I had to compromise.

I am hoping they improve the engine then I will order a D5

I basically think the D5 has moved into the XC90, Q7, X5 market and the engine is probably the least competitive aspect. It is also likely to be poorer on real world fuel economy, ignoring some of the laughable official figures.

Post #172264521st Oct 2016 2:52 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Get it remapped. I assume the 306 hp sdv6 in the rrs is the same engine as the 245/255 engine in the D4 and will. E in the D5.

I appreciate most won't want to do it on a new car but it may sort your issue in an otherwise perfectly fitting car by the sounds of it.

I've yet to see one in the flesh, but I don't think it's for me. I think I would prefer a Toyota Landcruiser amazon V8, despite being very old had by comparison.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #172264821st Oct 2016 3:02 pm
al cope

England 

Thats exactly what some of the site sponsors can do, a remap to 308BHP and 700Nm of torque from the D4 SDV6, the same engine thats going in the D5 Thumbs Up

Forget the bhp, that torque ought to be plenty for most folks

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #172265121st Oct 2016 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mralig

United Kingdom 

That's an interesting idea, although I do prefer to keep things standard. I always worry the insurance companies will take a dim view of it, but maybe I am wrong.

I thought the TDV6 was signal turbo and the SDV6 was dual, although when I have tried to look at the technical details they have seemed a little vague. But I have no doubt you could get more power and torque from the TDV6.

It has reminded me though, that the SDV6 in the RRS isn't great. The X5 V6 makes a lovely sound when revved. The SDV6 makes a sound that says I'll do this, but I don't really want to. Generally it is a miserable sounding engine, although forum posts I have read suggest the revised engines recently are better. Luckily it is quite quiet when not pressed so it is ok overall.

Hopefully an Ingenium 6 cylinder would be smoother, quieter and use less fuel as well as being a little more powerful. Also a little lighter. Being a straight six would probably help.

I struggle to be patient, but I am thinking that if I ordered a D5 today it wouldn't arrive until May time anyway and Ingenium 6 cylinders may only be 6 months behind that.

Post #172270621st Oct 2016 5:32 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

My Disco will be three years old when the first cars arrive so I am going to wait another two years and, hopefully, get one of the new six cylinder engines - petrol or diesel - if they are out in time. For me the launch diesel engines are too close in performance to each other and I refuse to take a 4 pot at this price level, hence the wait. I would hope that 300PS is the power output of the new 6 cylinder diesel.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #172371824th Oct 2016 8:34 am
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

@ 110CSW

I thought the new petrol V6 engine is available on the D5?

I stand to be corrected
 Peter  
Post #172375024th Oct 2016 10:04 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

No there is a straight 6 petrol but no V6 yet
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #172375424th Oct 2016 10:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >