Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

EPB creep. Do I need to do bedding in procedure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Spikey

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
EPB creep. Do I need to do bedding in procedure?

I've been having intermittent creeping forward when I am stopped with the EPB applied. Not every time, but more often than not. If I pull up the EPB switch again, then the brake applies harder and no more creep occurs. I had the car serviced earlier this week and the EPB was adjusted as part of the normal service. However, I'm still getting the creep problem. As the brakes have been adjusted, should I carry out a bedding-in procedure to get the system to apply the correct pressure to the EPB so I don't need to apply it twice to stop it creeping?

Thanks

Post #56281310th Dec 2009 9:14 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It soiunds as though it wasn't really adjusted properly. Should creep if you adjust it 100% correct. (although may do if you've applied on a steep hill). Mine's recently started creeping a little on occassion (when pulled up at traffic lights & epb applied etc) so I think I'll adjust it over the Christmas period Thumbs Up

Bedding in procedure BTW, will only bed the shoes in (take the surface coating off & match the EPB drum), it doesn't make adjustment to the EPB.

Oh and never one to miss an opportunity, here's the EPB link.....

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use..._Brake.zip
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #56282710th Dec 2009 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spikey

Thanks Bodsy. I did have a look at the files yesterday from another EPB link.. I guess the dealers didn't adjust them right then....

How long should it take for me to do the adjustment? I've worked on plenty of vehicles in the past, but not one as complex as this one. Looking at the EPB adjustment instructions, I presume you use a flat blade screwdriver to click the adjuster round until you get between the specified torque range and then back off 8 clicks.. Question is, which way tightens and which way loosens on each side (or is it blindingly obvious) Embarassed ? Thanks

Post #56283410th Dec 2009 10:26 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

There's two parts to the adjustment, first you release the fixed adjuster which is covered by a small rubber grommet IIRC. undo that, then tighten it up, then adjust the knurled end as you say, with a flat bladed screwdriver until you get the right Torque on the hub., then adjust back by 8 clicks.

It'll be obvious which way to adjust as one way will tighten it and the other way won't.... Whistle Wink

TBH, it takes longer to get the car jacked up and the wheel off than it does for the adjustment. (assuming your not going to take the whole drum off & clean it out?)

it's not actually difficult to do (as long as you have faith & follow the directions), and fairly basic tools needed, so if you've done a bit of work on cars before, you'll be fine Thumbs Up

Don't forget to put the EPB in service mode and remove the fuse before touching it!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #56283710th Dec 2009 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spikey

Thanks! Will have a go when I've got a couple of hours spare.... Thumbs Up

Post #56286010th Dec 2009 11:11 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had mine sorted a few months ago before the warranty ran out as it had started to squeel like a pig.

For the next couple of weeks after delivery, it suffered from creep when the EPB was applied and the gearbox in D...as Spikey mentioned, I had to "apply" the EPB twice for it to hold the D3 stationary.

However, it soon stopped doing it and now works perfectly.

Weird eh?

Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #56286510th Dec 2009 11:20 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Paul, ISTR the EPB 'clutch' should adjust itself, but the creep is caused by it not being out by enough to self adjust or something like that. stuck between tollerences perhaps?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #56286810th Dec 2009 11:22 am
John Fair

Bodsy, Do you know exactly what releases the epb as i am having problems with creep at the moment!!! Random and the dealer has had it for three days,fitted new shoes and still it creeps(all free). Im in no way slating the dealer as they are as keen as me to fix the problem but it continues to creep at lights and rolls down the test hill that is part of most dealers forecourts? They have spent quite a lot of time on it at no expense to myself and even lent me a D4 demonstrator for three days to go to Edinburgh. I/we really need a solution to this???

Post #56575816th Dec 2009 12:15 am
Alex08

Scotland 

mine has had creep for about 18 months no matter what the dealer has done.

eventually decided it was less bother to activate the lever twice which always sorts it. Not ideal and will make the MOT interesting, but.......

Post #56576416th Dec 2009 12:39 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

LRs own techs from Solihull replaced my complete EPB assembly and calibrated it, and 24 hours later there was creep..... Rolling Eyes

Fine now though.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #56577316th Dec 2009 12:54 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

...I find now that after several cleanings and adjustmenst I now have to pull the lever up for longer to not get creep.........got used to it but hadn't thought about the MOT chap.........well he is probably the same guy who cleans it so he should know Whistle
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #56582216th Dec 2009 8:14 am
John Fair

By any chance has anyone else had the latest gearbox update/flash about the time that the creep set in..just trying to eliminate all posibilities!

Post #56635517th Dec 2009 10:57 am
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had, have this one mine occasionally. I had complained that the EPB was squealing on release, so it went in to dealers and came back out this way. Now i wondered if the tech had released the tension on the shoes to drums, hoping to stop, reduce the bind, squeal on the drum. Just backing it off enough, so it still holds, but only just? (mention this as many moons ago, Vauxhall wouldn't adjust their hand brake cables for the first year or so, as they had problems with hand/park brakes seizing up on them)
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #56642817th Dec 2009 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >