Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

EPB failure and replacement? Is there a cheaper way....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Glen Sadler

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
EPB failure and replacement? Is there a cheaper way....?

Hi- my parking brake did the squeal thing and jammed on. I was able to manually release and the LR garage plugged in and said I need a whole new module. All in with shoes and £1200 gone.
I was due to list for sale this week...so rotten luck for me and lucky for someone else.
Before I commit to total replacement, are there folk out there who can check/fix rather than replace? or am I stuck with it? They tried a reset when it was plugged into the computer but it didn't work- just more squeals.
im in Alton, Hampshire.
thanks

Post #20431164th Apr 2019 1:51 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Search EPB relatch. Disco Mickey has done a detailed write up.

Not the easiest job but much cheaper than £1200 Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #20431304th Apr 2019 2:10 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-repair-...91299.html Thumbs Up

Post #20431414th Apr 2019 2:54 pm
Washwipe

England 

There is also the option of searching the bay of thieves, there is a guy on selling repaired ones for around £120. Never used him myself but he has impressive feedback for other marks of vehicles including LR with a parking brake module.

Post #20431514th Apr 2019 3:17 pm
Glen Sadler

Thanks all. The fix looks ok on the pictures.... ill just need a car lift. I'll see if my non LR mechanic fancies it (he generally laughs at me every time I see him with an "I told you so" smirk....)

Post #20431684th Apr 2019 4:11 pm
Glen Sadler

ps...I just bought a Corsa for the same price as a Disco handbrake... Big Cry

Post #20431694th Apr 2019 4:12 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Glen.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? My 05 D3 has suffered the same and I’m about to tackle this job for the first time. If you fancy doubling up we could get both done and perhaps two heads are better than one.

I’m thinking of driving up to Pitstart Garage where we can hire a two post or four post lift and all workshop tools for about £20 per hour. Reckon that’s the easiest way as I don’t fancy getting under the car on my slightly slopey driveway.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #20432414th Apr 2019 7:58 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

After falling for the stealer telling me I needed a new one when I first had the disco and being naive to its problems , when it happened a second time a few years later I followed mikeys guide and it saved me a fortune again. I figured I had nothing to loose by trying
Had to really hit the bar extremely hard whilst trying to unnamable the cog, was sure something was going to break but it was a success

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #20432444th Apr 2019 8:03 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Good to know, Andy. Did you do that on your back under the car or did you ramp it?
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #20432464th Apr 2019 8:06 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Fortunately bro has a pit

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #20432834th Apr 2019 9:47 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you do end up needing a new module check the price with site sponsor Duckworth parts. I saved a good bit over other retailers. Then get a good indie garage to do the work. I live near enough Disco_Mikey and took the family to the V&A so got him on it, but there are other experts on the forum covering the country between them.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #20433925th Apr 2019 9:54 am
Glen Sadler

Thanks for the advice and your offer DIYace.
Ive just spoken to an independent and im taking the car up now for him to have a look at. Will keep you posted and fingers crossed....

Post #20434185th Apr 2019 11:26 am
Glen Sadler

Just to conclude on this i ended up with a new module, new pads and new shoes...all in £1200. The old shoes were completed warped which messed everything up so be warned and check yours!
All serviced and MOT’d and now for sale.

Post #204936028th Apr 2019 9:33 pm
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

paulmeryan wrote:
If you do end up needing a new module check the price with site sponsor Duckworth parts. I saved a good bit over other retailers. Then get a good indie garage to do the work. I live near enough Disco_Mikey and took the family to the V&A so got him on it, but there are other experts on the forum covering the country between them.

Looks like that EPB only lasted 2.5 yrs, a few months outside the parts warranty. It sounded like the module went again early this morning enroute to dropping wife at airport for a job. Worst timing possible, naturally a la LR. Used the emergency release after making sure she continued by taxi, so got the car home at least on this occasion. They had to cut the cable when it last happened Mar 2019. I will get my local guy to see if it can be reset though. It had only been screeching for a couple of days and I didn't think it would seize this soon.

If the module is fried I'm not going through this all over again given the car's age and mounting woes. It consumed 2 x Michelin Cross Climates in 14 months and the fact is it's cheaper to keep feeding it new tyres than fully fix the suspension alignment. The bolts just seize unless you do wheel alignments regularly.

It's likely I'll end up listing the car on here for whatever it's worth. Shame, because driving it still makes me smile and nothing out there now really appeals to me, apart from the new Defender which is many times more than I want to spend.

My heart wants to keep running this car. It'd be cheaper than buying something that can truly replace it since I've become so spoiled and accustomed to its capabilities. But the head says it's at the point where reliability issues outweigh any savings and best off with someone more enthusiastic about older Land Rovers let's just say.

I don't know if I will buy another out of warranty LR. Not that this one's been any more expensive to run than I expected. I wasn't a stranger to running cars I couldn't afford to buy brand new. Ageing means I just want an easier life. Having a demo in an Ionic 5 tomorrow, but more excited to hear back from Parks in Ayr about their Defender 90. Tesla's M3 left me cold when I did a wee circuit of Edinburgh in it just before the world flipped. The minimalism of such EVs makes me feel short changed. All that cabin space feels like a void and certainly on the Tesla M3 the impression is of an ICE car half the price. I suspect the outward cool of the Ionic 5 is similarly going to evaporate after a few mins driving and sitting inside it.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #22495343rd Sep 2021 1:30 pm
derekmines

United Kingdom 

Washwipe wrote:
There is also the option of searching the bay of thieves, there is a guy on selling repaired ones for around £120. Never used him myself but he has impressive feedback for other marks of vehicles including LR with a parking brake module.

In case anyone should find this in the future, I used this chap for the EPB for my RRS and it was still going strong a couple of years later when I sold the car. He was even good enough to attach and supply a new cable as I'd had to grind through one to free the brake off.

Post #225849924th Oct 2021 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >