Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB fix - Where to look now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3
EPB fix - Where to look now?

So I've been having a EPB issue. My amber brake light is on and the red parking brake is flashing. When you lift the brake switch nothing happens. I've checked the actual actuator to see if it was jammed and it is not, I've unplugged the actuator from its harness and plugged the harness into a another actuator and I get the same problem. I've switched my brake switch with a new one and no dice. The code I get is U2002 - switch general electrical failure. I also checked the wire loom under my spare and they looked fine. If I jiggle and wiggle the wires nothing happens. What should I do and where should I look now. Which wire gives the brake switch its juice? Thanks.
 Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #160268931st Jan 2016 10:24 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have you looked at the wires around the connector in RHD rear near side wheel arch. (So presume your drivers side rear.) A known corrosion place for wires. I will find the link for when I had similar issues. Mine ended being both loom and actuator. Big Cry
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #160269931st Jan 2016 10:41 pm
SWR

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic137004.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic97249.html

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #160270231st Jan 2016 10:44 pm
FAT MATT

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think I have this fault too. My EPB suddenly gave up the ghost a week or two ago in the same manner. Don't think it was the motor as there's not been any noise from it to suggest it was binding. I also have a sporadic momentary suspension fault that comes and clears in a second or two when it rains.

Am I right in saying this is a case of removing the passenger side wheel, removing the splash guard and replacing the knackered connectors?

Post #160271031st Jan 2016 11:07 pm
SWR

Yes. Although it depends if it's the connector that is knackered or just a corroded/broken wire. Both the suspension loom and the EPB loom have connections in the same location so it's entirely possible they have both failed at the same time.

I am no expert but Find the dodgy wire by checking continuity and then bridge the connection block by cutting the wire and coming back up the loom until you get a good (non corroded) section and join together the other side of the connection block. Now it's possible the fault might not be around that connection but it's the obvious place to start.

I ended up shipping out and sent it into my indie to sort.

Mods:

Post #160272731st Jan 2016 11:33 pm
FAT MATT

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice to know and expected it was probably a loss of continuity along the loom. The fact the suspension has an intermittent fault made worse by rain makes me think connector but good place to start.

Thanks for confirming.

Post #160273431st Jan 2016 11:40 pm
snailcove

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The main plug that goes into the epb ,there is two wires, both yellow/ green there should be 12v there and about 2 feet along those two wires go to one wire still same colour all the way to the front connector behind the left front wheel arch ,I think there was a repair loom part that could be purchased that went from the compressor area to the epb, my one had been repaired and the new connector was behind the compressor where it had corroded and the old wires were still there causeing me lots of swearing trying to trace the correct wire Thumbs Up

Post #160273731st Jan 2016 11:43 pm
FAT MATT

Mines a 2006 which apparently had that modification done as a tech refresh iirc. But that's also on the check list.

Post #160274031st Jan 2016 11:47 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mx468, I'll share what we PMd about earlier in the week.

~~~~

I had an intermittent EPB switch and flashing lights and I found that the chassis connectors were the problem as I could temporarily fix the problem by giving the wires going into the connectors a wiggle...

So I cut the EPB switch wires from each side of the connector and soldered a new piece of cable to join each back together, totally bypassing the connector.

It was probably only one intermittent wire but whilst I was there I just replaced all 4!

The connector of interest is the black one in your pictures.

The wires are coloured and located:
RED pin 13
YELLOW pin 14
YELLOW with GREEN stripe pin 15
YELLOW with BLUE stripe pin 16

Click image to enlarge

Looking at the photo above, these are on the top row, inset ones with the red seals, left most 3 of those
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #160274731st Jan 2016 11:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FAT MATT

Is that the connector at the rear? Which should have the upgraded 12v wire to the EPB from 2006 on?

Post #16029351st Feb 2016 3:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Just because a loom upgrade was done as part of the enhancement programme some years ago doesn't make it impossible there is a loom issue now.

Mine's an 06MY and I bridged the connector to repair my EPB fault, which in my case was with one or more switch wires.

Post #16029431st Feb 2016 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gmcc

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Martin...

I've been reading threads on the eps wiring for the past hour or so to try and get to the bottom of my ePub fault...

I had disco Mikey up a week or so ago and we have ruled out the switch in the cabin, he tried his and made on difference. And his thoughts were to move on to checking wiring and whether 12v was getting to the module...

Mike is hopefully coming back to check. (Answer me texts Mike!! Lol) and try and get to the bottom of the problem, but in the meantime I said I'd have a look.

I've visually checked the connector behind the n/s/r wheel and disconnected it and given it a blow, and plugged back in. But at the time I had no info on what wires were which... You mention above the wires being the ones (4 of) being the top ones, the inset ones in red, and you say it's the three most left of those, which is the forth that you mention? And do I need to get the multimeter and check the pins on the connector itself for 12v, which one is that?

Any help would be great as I suspect this area is the problem with my Amber and red warnings!
 D3 with lots of d4 extras!  
Post #161644826th Feb 2016 12:32 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

What fault codes were showing up relating to the EPB - what makes you think it is 12V supply related rather than switch wiring related?

Post #161645026th Feb 2016 12:36 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

I think the "left most 3" is a typo, it should be left most 4.

These are just the switch contact wires, not the 12V supply to the EPB module.

The ground connections (2 off), ignition signal, key in signal, CAN bus connections (4 off: 1 pair in, 1 pair out) do go through that black connector.

The main 12V supply connections (2 off) are separate and not through this connector, please fill in your D3 profile here as the connector moved between model years.

Post #161645426th Feb 2016 12:49 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had a similar problem with my D3. Disco Mickey checked voltages at the connector in the front nearside wheel arch and the plug at the EPB module and found a voltage drop indicating a high resistance somewhere. He very quickly narrowed it down to a corroded wire splice in the loom just forward of the suspension pump. Fixed in 15 minutes. Very Happy

Post #161645926th Feb 2016 1:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >