Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

EPB Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
EPB Questions

I’ve searched and searched and I can’t get a straight answe to this question. As a long serving member I know how annoying stupid questions can be - hope mine isn’t!

Earlier when I parked on drive (reversed in, in low box as it’s really awkward and steep) pulled EPB switch up, not sure if it sqreeched as I had foo fighters on rather loud, yellow and red flashing P on dash and park break fault Sad didn’t really think much to it and went in the house.

A couple of hours later went back out. Started up, pressed EPB button down and it really did make a racket. Tried to move but locked solid.

My question is - what do I do now. I’ve left it in a sulk.

Do I HAVE to pull the dreaded release or can I do anything with IID tool? If I do pull the release cable as a last resort do I have to do the manual rewind as per DMs instructions?

FYI, MY15, 125k, discs and pads (inc epb) in stock at my warehouse all ready to be fitted tomorrow if I can get the paperweight to manage 4 miles...
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #19325101st Apr 2018 9:33 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I can’t remember the specific term, but the IID does have something like an unjam option (or similar), sadly it didn’t make any difference to mine when it went wrong towards the end of last year. So the emergency release had to be pulled.

I hope you have better luck!
 Andy

Post #19325402nd Apr 2018 6:28 am
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply, after fixing the underlying issue did the EPB work again or did you have to crawl under neath / have a new module?

Cheers Thumbs Up
 26 and on the 4th LR..

Post #19325422nd Apr 2018 6:36 am
Fitzy73

Sadly it wasn’t good news for mine, my independents view was it had never been touched, the EPB pads had worn away overextending the cable etc etc so it needed a new module and the brakes sorting out.

Very little change from £1,000.
 Andy

Post #19325432nd Apr 2018 6:40 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Try the unjam procedure on iid. That will pulse the motor to try to release it. If that doesn’t work then pull the manual release if you can.
When you have it in low range the handbrake application is pulled on harder than in high range. Which is probably why it chose to pull up to its end of travel.

If you still can’t release it after a couple of tries then Mikey’s manual unwind is the way to go.

Try not to let it screech too much as it’ll damage the safety clutch.

My recommendation is strip, clean free off both adjusters, refit and adjust the handbrake every two years. That way it rarely gives any trouble.

Regards
Steve

Post #19325442nd Apr 2018 6:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Idea IIRC when low box is selected and the EPB is then used it applies more force to lock the brakes. I believe that if it has jammed, pulling the release cable then clean and adjust the EPB shoes as per Bodsys bible and try a reset with your IID - you just may be lucky and it will work, if not then Disco_Mikeys unwind procedure is well worth trying. Best of luck Thumbs Up

EDIT - I type too slow, Steve Norman knows what he's on about! Bow down

Post #19325452nd Apr 2018 6:46 am
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I pulled the manual release without the battery connected (so there was nothing stuck causing it) and it auto re-latched when I connected the battery again.

As another option... if you want to just to get it on the road without getting under it too much and attacking the motor/spindle then you can perform this procedure. It's nuts to try anything while the release of the brake will cause the car to move ... on a slope etc. So you need to be careful which ever way you go..

1. Remove a rear wheel (you may be able to get at it by just jacking)
2. The park brake cable enters through the front of the rear wheel assembly (at about 2-3 o'clock on the RHS or 9-10 o'clock on the LHS) into the park brake hub assembly. The EPB cable is the thickest of all the brake and sensor cables/tubes.
3. Remove the plastic dust cover which requires a 19mm spanner or shifter to loosen from the park brake hub assembly. Once off the thread push back up the cable to expose the outer cable/hub junction
4. At the junction there is a CirClip you may have to rotate the C-Clip to reveal the 'space' in the CirClip.
5. If you are on the road/on sand/grass put down a blanket or a shirt under the assembly to catch the C-Clip (it is made of ‘springy’ metal and could go anywhere).
6. Take a flat bladed screw driver (if you can find one to bridge the gap across the ‘C’ that is ideal) … give the screw driver a light tap with something to remove the C-Clip.
7. Once the C-Clip is off the outer cable has nothing to retain it and it will ‘fall’ into the hub assembly about 1cm. This will be enough to de-stress the entire park brake system (both sides). Check the wheel can rotate a couple of cm.
8. Replace the plastic dust cover and lightly tighten with 19mm spanner/shifter. Replace wheel.
9. You may wish to jack up the other side and check the wheel can rotate freely by a couple of cm's.
10. Drive away and don't park on steep hills.

Post #19325472nd Apr 2018 7:00 am
will247

Thanks for the answers, I'll have a go with the IID this morning once I'm not worried about upsetting the neighbours!

Unfortunately it is parked about 3" off a wall on the rear and passenger side! Unfortunately the only option after the IID is to pull the cable...
 26 and on the 4th LR..

Post #19325502nd Apr 2018 7:07 am
will247

Well - What a bank holiday Monday it is.

I attempted to release the EPB using the IId tool and button pushing with no luck whatsoever so I gave in and pulled the loop which was surprisingly easy, I'd already prepared myself for using a scaffold pole but a screwdriver was more than sufficient.

I've since stripped both sides, replaced all pads and discs, adjusted as required and attempted to rest the EPB but no luck Sad

There is only one option showing on my IID 'Unjam Procedure' is this the one I require or should I update it to get the required options?

Apart from the crap drilled & grooved discs and the Green stuff pads (both of which I immediately regretted fitting) nothing looked to be an issue in either side, apart from poor adjustment - which I'm kicking myself for.

Cheers for the advice so far.
 26 and on the 4th LR..

Post #19326292nd Apr 2018 12:14 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If the tool has not unjammed it then you will have to remove the cover from epb module and unjam it manually, there is a how to on the board.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #19326302nd Apr 2018 12:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
will247

Flack,

Fancy a trip to Yorkshire...

I've looked at DMs step by stem (which is absolutely great), I'm thinking it isn't possible off jacks/stands? Must be by pit or lift?

JAS are due to service it in a couple of weeks, might have to sweet talk Joe. He hates my car anyway.
 26 and on the 4th LR..

Post #19326322nd Apr 2018 12:30 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have done a few of axle stands, actually is easier laid on your back to get at the cover I find.. Joe is good he will fix it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #19326542nd Apr 2018 2:12 pm
will247

Cheers for boosting my confidence Flack to do it without a Ramp or pit...

I splashed out £29.99 on a glorified Halfords skateboard and I managed to unjam and relatch my EPB today, all in total about 2 hours and change from 30quid!
 26 and on the 4th LR..

Post #19334794th Apr 2018 7:42 pm
Fitzy73

That’s great news, glad you got it sorted Thumbs Up
 Andy

Post #19335975th Apr 2018 6:38 am
Post Reply Back to top