Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB rear shoes return spring help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mahoneyt

United Kingdom 
EPB rear shoes return spring help!

Hi, please can someone advise how to put retaining spring on drivers side rear shoes, I have followed the Bodsy guide (thanks Bodsy). Only issue is getting the lower return spring back on, its really difficult to put back on the return spring and spreader plate, as the spring won't stretch and sit under the piece of metal that juts out underneath. Any advise tips would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.

Post #17145422nd Oct 2016 9:47 pm
zoneout

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I am not sure exactly how you are trying to do it: but what I can say is that I battled like crazy, until I put the springs and plate on first, and then put the shoes onto the mounts. I found that it was possible to lever the shoes over and into position as an assembly with the springs and the spreader plate in position. The spreader plate jumps all over the place, and it needs to be carefully checked that its properly in place.

I struggled for ages trying to get the spring hooked into the shoes while they were in place. Couldn't do it: although in retrospect, a vice grip clamped onto the leg of the spring would maybe have done it.

Hope this helps: good luck!

Post #17145933rd Oct 2016 1:15 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Yes. Assemble the shoes with the spring on. Push the spreader plate into the shoe with the handbrake cable on, then pivot the front shoe over the spreader plate while locating on the stub on the backplate. Make sure the spring on the spreader isn't trapped when it is all fitted.

Regards
Steve

Post #17145993rd Oct 2016 5:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

After I had done mine I found out that if you have an IID tool there is a mount position for the shoes which from what I can gather is further wound off than normal making it easier to get the springs off/on weirdly no one seems to mention this in any epb replies?
I work on trucks and found the epb shoes bloody infuriating and way to small compared to what Im used to.

Post #17146013rd Oct 2016 6:40 am
mahoneyt

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advise guys.

Steve - is it possible to put spring on and spreader and attach afterwards as it look quite restrictive to push them in between the hub and locating plate underneath?

Alternatively, is it easier to fit master shoe and attach handbrake cable, then attach spring and spreader plate, which seems impossible to get them spread apart and put in place ?

Is there any tool (apart from me!) to spread apart the spring to make easier to apply ?

Thanks in advance.

Post #17146173rd Oct 2016 7:32 am
J428 TGS

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

get some strong string put a coulpe of turns around the hook of the spring and a couple of turns around your hand and simply pull in to place then draw string out simples

That's a farmer fix for pulling in akward springs Sheep Sheep Sheep Thumbs Up

Post #17147943rd Oct 2016 3:07 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Mount the rear shoe on the handbrake cable, then attached it to the backplate with the hold down spring.
Fit the rectangle spring to the spreader. Put the spreader onto the rear shoe slot. Fit the large spring that fits between the shoes, you can then locate the end of the front brake shoe & lever it over the spreader, against the large spring pressure. sometimes a small screw driver to just hold the spreader spring back helps.

It's always best to put it in mounting mode, to allow the handbrake to be correctly adjusted, as sometimes the cables can hold the shoes out.

regards
Steve

Post #17148033rd Oct 2016 3:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mahoneyt

United Kingdom 

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the advice. Finally got those suckers in !. The easiest way was to attach the large spring to both shoes, then attach the hand brake cable to the master shoe, letting them flop about, then put the retainer clip on master shoe to lock in place.

Here come the beeping part (and there's a lot through this process) grab hold of the other shoe with spring attached and slid the separator plate in up against the master shoe making sure you have tied string around the spring that attaches to the other shoe(good shout Bodsy!), then with as much force as possible pull over the separator plate, using the metal part jutting out to leverage into place with a little help with a screwdriver, then add the top spring, and adjuster thingy,then the lad retaining pin.

Then add the new disc and with a little tap here and there on she goes, put the calliper holder on, brake shoes and then finally the calliper, job done !

Now all I need to do is the bedding in process, hopefully that will go well.

Just out of interest ! Has anyone used mintex brake shoes ? As when trying to fit them the hand brake holder was really difficult to get through the hole, without using mole grips and hanging off it, unlike the ones that came off and the retaining pin slot on the secondary shoe was just a hole not a slot, which made it difficult to adjust the shoes when offering up the disc, unlike the originals.

Or maybe it was jut me !

Thanks again everyone.

Post #17148673rd Oct 2016 5:44 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Been quite a few issues with Mintex brake shoes on the old series land rovers, at one time they were the shoe of choice now they are to be avoided at all costs.
The main issue is with the adjuster pin falling out, nothing serious!

I stuck genuine on mine they werent much dearer, Im not one for genuine anything but to save the hassle thought it was worth it.

Post #17149023rd Oct 2016 6:30 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Mintex shoes, difficult to get the cables through, also sometimes aren't very easy to bed in & the material is not so good.

I only fit Genuine Landrover. Expensive, but so is being stuck on the side of the road!
Surprised
regards
Steve

Post #17152894th Oct 2016 3:10 pm
mccollum

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
EPB shoes

I am just doing the park brake shoes on my D3, and in the installation kit [clips and springs pack] there are two short stubby spring which I am at a loss as to where they go [the two about half way down the picture] All the other ones are obvious.

Thanks

Post #187938414th Nov 2017 5:15 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

From memory, they are not required, ignore those 2 springs. Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #187938714th Nov 2017 5:20 pm
mccollum

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Many thanks-I am relieved that I don't have to dismantle them and do them again

Post #187939314th Nov 2017 5:29 pm
OJ

Scotland 

These ones outlined in red?

At the adjuster end look on the brake shoe theres a hole and another hole on the backplate the springs go there one on each side.

See here (not always fitted)

Cheers
Thumbs Up OJ

Post #187939514th Nov 2017 5:32 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I certainly do not remember those (or the remains of)being present on mine, (untouched from new when I first saw them).....maybe there are varying types Question Is that pic of a D4 OJ ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years. 

Last edited by DN on 14th Nov 2017 5:48 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #187939714th Nov 2017 5:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >