Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 36 <123 ... 192021 ... 343536>
Whistlerone

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3
Regarding electronic parking brake

How much would you charge to do the repair on the hand brake for the Land Rover Discovery 3. It does not re-engauge after pulling the release gable. When you turn the engine off you hear the hand brake click as if is putting on put it does nothing and everybody is telling me that I need a new handbrake unit as it cannot be repaired.

Regards

Sharon Hulme

Post #18004165th Apr 2017 10:34 pm
Sharpy1980

United Kingdom 
Thanks Mikey

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the clear guide that Mikey has provided which I followed and successfully unjammed my epb which got stuck on at Morrisons last week which meant me pulling the release cable to get home 👍👍

Post #180397115th Apr 2017 9:20 pm
remould

Another big thank you for this guide . Local garage told me they wont do anything other than change the unit so borrowed a ramp for an hour , freed off easy enough , just need to get the rest of the job done now and see if I can borrow something to put it in to mount mode
Can the shoes be changed without using diagnostics ?

Post #180861127th Apr 2017 5:41 pm
Sharpy1980

United Kingdom 

I'm sure you can and search for bodsy brake bible that will have everything you need to know Thumbs Up

Post #180864027th Apr 2017 7:05 pm
remould

thanks ,I will look for that and print it off

Post #180873327th Apr 2017 10:13 pm
darrener

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
another happy customer

thanks mikey for the guide - no more squealing here.
There are some good youtube videos showing how epbs should work too.

Post #18101101st May 2017 8:45 pm
gseum

Germany 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Hi,

I have done this procedures now some more times at my own car and assisted friends with this.

Last weekend we have made some videos and photos, that can assist and help others to understand working of the module, see the direction of the rotation of the spindle and see the emergency clutch re engaging:

Sample of the usable gap at new parking brake pads and new discs without proper adjusting:

Now with proper adjusting:

Engaging the emergency clutch:
https//youtu.be/EmI3KZ3z7oY

Rotation of spindle to loose ("Driver Side" in Germany! GB: Passenger side!):
Click image to enlarge

Photo of module:

All videos and some photos at Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gseum/albums/72157683335752315

Thanks to Mikey for his guide! This has saved my a lot of Euros. Wink

Greetings from Germany
Jürgen
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020  
Post #18105612nd May 2017 10:04 pm
Shade

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I'm having a slightly different problem, which, having read through, I can't see having been answered - if it has been here, or somewhere else - my apologies - please point me in the right direction if you can Smile

that lovely yellow light has come on - and I've traced the wiring and can't find any faults or issues - and the EPB applies (auto 06 HSE) and disengages when used, but the Parking Brake Fault persists?

I can also confirm that the apply actually applies (I can hear it and the car won't move) as it should.

Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

Post #181631918th May 2017 11:48 am
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Maybe

Hi @shade,
does your EPB fault every time ?

Mine has just started doing the orange light of death too.
EPB operates all OK, Reset the Shoes to correct position, all OK.
I'm going to change out the switch next.

Richard
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE  
Post #18325871st Jul 2017 9:55 pm
Shade

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Rich,

Yep - every.single.time. I'd be interested to hear if the switch solves it as I've been shunted towards LR for a £700 component I'm not keen on having to replace - oh - and they have to do it as it's programmed or some such.

EPB works 100% as it should though - so I know it's just a signal not making it's way home somewhere along the line Sad

Post #18326041st Jul 2017 11:15 pm
Risto

Finland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Managed to fix my jammed EPB following these instructions - I thought to "pay it forward" by addressing some of the common questions first timers like me seem to have - now that I have found the way I could do the whole unjamming drill in less than 1 hr. And I'd enjoy it!

1. No need to take rear wheels or brakes off for the unjamming (but you have to address the root cause of the jamming which usually - I guess - is about fixing rear brakes. My drums were worn and the shoes way out of adjustment - so lack of service, my fault!)

2. Access to the EPB is definitely easiest from the front. If you have air suspension, put it on offroad mode, reverse on something (like pieces of 4x4 wood) to get another 10cm. (Don't get it too high) Then crawl under the car head to the front, get to a place where you can see the EPB from the right/left (as in front of you) sides of the diff. Get a cardboard box or something to rest your head against, then you have a comfortable position & good access to the unit both from the right and left side of the diff. Use a T20 bit attached to a small ratchet - there's plenty of space to unscrew all 8, you can even use both hands!. Then pry the cover off starting from bottom right corner, once you have an opening put another screwdriver there to keep constant tension.

3. For the unjamming itself, as the instructions suggested a 1 meter bar I tried that but couldn't figure out how that could work. There's only 2.5mm clearance on above and below the brass rod so no way to get any pliers in. In my case the rod was jammed so that one "corner" faced down - so I made my own tool: a piece of metal about 2x3cm, which I grinded to be 2.4mm thick - just to fit in between the rod and the plastic case, back side touching the "corner". I was just testing if it fits and I lightly tapped it with a small hammer - and the rod was unjammed! I guess if you get the shock in exactly the right position you don't need much force at all. As to the direction, the thread is left-handed - i.e. opposite to a normal bolt.

Now that I know, this isn't a difficult or big job at all (the unjamming itself is the hardest part - if my trick works for others, then that's easy too) so what a bloody waste of €€ if all those perfectly working EPB units are replaced just because of jamming! The actuator is also poorly designed, it should have a sensor to stop it before it jams itself. But hey if these were fool proof, that would take all the fun (and secret pride) away from all of us DIY guys

Thanks to DiscoMikey, Bodsy and everyone else for their helpful advice. I saved a bundle & feel like man!

Greetings from Sipoo, Finland
Risto

Post #18336444th Jul 2017 9:12 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Embarassed

Risto wrote:

3. For the unjamming itself, as the instructions suggested a 1 meter bar I tried that but couldn't figure out how that could work. There's only 2.5mm clearance on above and below the brass rod so no way to get any pliers in. In my case the rod was jammed so that one "corner" faced down - so I made my own tool: a piece of metal about 2x3cm, which I grinded to be 2.4mm thick - just to fit in between the rod and the plastic case, back side touching the "corner". I was just testing if it fits and I lightly tapped it with a small hammer - and the rod was unjammed! I guess if you get the shock in exactly the right position you don't need much force at all. As to the direction, the thread is left-handed - i.e. opposite to a normal bolt.
Greetings from Sipoo, Finland
Risto

Sorry Sipoo, but I do not understand how and where you inserted the small piece of metal ...

Can you try to explain it better... (pics of the metal piece?,...)
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #183713315th Jul 2017 2:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Can someone clarify, i've done some searching but cannot find the answer - or get so Censored off that i read too quickly and miss the answer Embarassed

If the emergency release cable has been pulled, does the cable have to be relatched every time by opening up the module, or is it hit and miss.

Had to pull the cable a few months ago as the epb jammed on. Removed fuse for the time being as i did not have a IID tool then.
Now that the weather is good and i have new EPB shoes etc, it is time to have a go but just want to know if i have to open up the module.

Another thing, most of the photo's i have seen, the access to the EPB is fairly clear, however, on mine the exhaust pipe seems to be in the way.
Have many people had to remove the nearside pipe?

Post #183854419th Jul 2017 2:38 pm
unirover

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3

I'm not sure if an otherwise correctly functioning EBP will re-latch itself but since it sounds like yours is jammed, you will have to open it up to unjam it.

Mine has the rear diff lock so I used the method others mentioned and approached it from behind. It takes a bit more work to get to it, and in my case the bolts holding the evap canister were rusted in and needed drilling out which was a PIA. However once the you get to it and flip it, there is much more room to work in there. It is especially easier to remove the cover and unjam the gears. Mine was well jammed especially since I tried using the IID tool a few time to unjam it. I did not need any big breaker bars to unjam it. Just a screw driver and some taps of a hammer. I think using a long bar and leverage risks breaking something, especially the actual plastic housing//case.

Post #183869119th Jul 2017 7:40 pm
Smartie

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

This guide seems to be just what I need! Would it be possible to repost the images in the original post? It seems they have been blocked by Photobucket's new 3rd party policy. Also, the Youtube clip is no longer available. Smile

Post #184050324th Jul 2017 10:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 20 of 36 <123 ... 192021 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >