Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Equipment for Morocco Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just try and clean out the air box every morning and travel as near to the front of the convoy as you can. Thumbs Up

Post #77427014th Mar 2011 5:22 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

and just in case, would recommend you keep to the standard air filter and don't fit something like a K&N - these have an oil coating and will get Censored in a dusty environment. Simple paper based filter is easier to knock clean.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #77431314th Mar 2011 6:57 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I hate driving in convoy. However if you have to drive in convoy then space convoy out so each vehicle is driving in clean air. Much improved visibility that way.

If you have a strong side wind then you can drive 100 metres apart. If still air or wind blowing in direction of convoy then increase inter vehicle distance until you are driving in clear air. Yes that might mean driving a kilometre+ apart

Does not matter if you have a snorkel or not, good visibility is essential for safe driving

Brendan

Post #77481415th Mar 2011 9:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Picture taken in southern Morocco last August, somewhere in the desert. It was Censored hot !!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #77482815th Mar 2011 10:11 pm
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Equipment for Morocco Trip

fmb123 wrote:
This summer 3 friends and i are planning on driving down through europe and on to morocco over a few weeks this summer (end of june to 15th july), and had a few questions:

1:-I am looking for a roof rack that will carry a second spare tyre and maybe a couple of jerry cans. looking for a cheap or second hand one. any suggestions on make?

2:-Also i have 19" HSE alloys which will be on the vehicle. Will it be ok to use two 245/70 r17 BFG MT as two back up tyres? as i only have a space saver spare.

3:-As i am not going with a tour and just going to be one vehicle, are there any tours you can join that go into the desert for a few day once you get down there?

4:-Also what other equipment might i need. obviously will have tents and cooking equipment etc.

Cheers in advance for any help. Thumbs Up

fred

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but may be able to offer some advice having travelled across Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya in various Land Rovers over the past few years.

1) A second spare is a good idea. Most pistes in Morocco are stony and pinch punctures are a risk on 19" rims. Always run your tyres at full pressure on rocky ground. Don't put fuel on the roof. There are loads of petrol stations in Morocco. Take a jerry if you want the security, but keep it inside. More important is water. If could reach 50 degrees centigrade south of the Atlas mountains. You will need 20 litres per person per day in these conditions!

2)Why not look for a cheap set of 4 17" rims if you can. I can recommend Cooper ATR tyres for the desert, half the price of BFG's, quieter, better in sand - 5000km of desert and no punctures on my last two trips.

3) You could ask on http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/ This is the Sahara forum. Most of the European operators run their tours in Spring as it's much easier on you and the vehicle when the temperature is 20 degrees outside. A web search will find Morroccan tour operators. Most of them are used to bussing their clients down from Marrakech for a night in a tent at Erg Chebbi and a bit of dune bashing in a Land Cruiser before packing them off home. You might have to pay for a guide in their own vehicle. Otherwise, buy Morocco Overland by Chris Scott, http://www.sahara-overland.com/ take your GPS and explore some of the lovely pistes south of the Atlas. Distances are short in most cases and there is no sand to get stuck in on the majority of them.

4)We took loads of camping gear to Morocco but only camped once we reached the remote desert. The Auberges are cheap, very welcoming and they feed you - usually Tagine. You will get by with minimum gear.

Other gear to take, bearing in mind you're 4 up in the car:

Minimise soft luggage, you can wash clothes in hot countries and they're dry in minutes. Take a washing line and a few pegs instead of 20 T shirts.
Minimum food from the UK, you'll buy lovely fresh meat/veg at markets. Don't worry about the unsavoury look of the butchers shops/kiosks! Take your emergency rations in the form of lightweight and dried foods.
Take a tyre compressor and some of the "plug" type repair kits that the bikers use.
Take a tow rope and a couple of shackles (though you shouldn't need it)
Don't take water jerries as there's lots of cheap bottled water in towns.

Hope this helps.
 Fraser  
Post #77485316th Mar 2011 12:22 am
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

cheers all for all the great information.

Loving the photos - good to see what i'm getting myself into, just wondering if anyone else had anymore photos of them and their D3 in morocco, would love to see them posted here. Thumbs Up

also I have the option of running MTR on 19" or pirelli Scorpion road tyres also 19". what would be recommended? as i heard mud tyres can dig into the sand, but will road tyres provide enough grip?

cheers

Post #77577318th Mar 2011 12:42 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I've used 17" Contis on 3 trips to Tunisia and they have been great. You don't so much "grip" sand (if you do you dig down) as want to float on top of it. With me were peeps on roads, MTRs, ATRs and AT2s, all got stuck to more or less degree, especially when temps were high and sand very soft, and lead car was always the one more likely to be struggling due to the nature of taking point. Considering most of the trip will be on tarmac and then sand i'd stick to road tyres. Thumbs Up

Post #77578118th Mar 2011 1:07 pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

i've also read that the suspension air compressor overheats due to the high temperatures, has anyone experienced this? is there a way to stop it happening?

Post #77588218th Mar 2011 5:05 pm
g4mudman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've been on 2 off road trips to Morocco now 2007 and 2009 and will be going again this September. As others have said look closely at what you take it is surprising what you take that you never need.

Just go and enjoy yourself you will have a great time.

I've sold my D11 G4, and now looking for a D3 to go this year:)) once I've added some toys

Post #79653014th May 2011 7:45 pm
Daramb

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi there, we just got back from Marokko. Our D3 is coming on a truck because she gave up.

First , one of the tensioner bearings broke from the belt. The lower one, the bearing closure rating is not good enough to keep dirt and water out, so after a whiile(2006), the problem arises. So change at least the lower one.
Consider different belt lengths, or take extra bearings.
After that , two days later, we hit a small bump.Now, whatever you do, if you have a hint of a problem , DO NOT shutoff the engine. I did , and I know better now. Because when you restart the car, it checks all kinds off systems, and latent faults keep the car from restarting(we had 1)engine fault, 2)transmission fault3)parkbrake fault,4)HDC fault and some others.

Anyway, that was it for our trip, and continued with a rental Nissan and the car was send back to the netherlands.
But I am not giving up on the project. It's just that we are pioneers of modern cars trying to go against better will and judgement off all those "established" toyota landcruiser wiseman.

I would say. Go light. Tires, you want as much air as possible. I have 20 " with the super cooper LTZ zeon tires (285) but that doesn't do it.You will see when you get there, you can get stuck in the sand, but if you have enough tire wall to deflate , you will simply drive out.
Maximum 18 " and all terrain will do fine.Marocco is more stone then sand(the stone and gravel roads basically lead to the play dunes, but you first have to conquer the stones.
For my next trip I am switching to springs, because the air suspension simply isn't suitable for the wash boards.It can take it , but you will have to let the landcruisers blast by.
A must is a hawkeye to be able to at least try to clear codes(we couldn't Sad) if you get them.
Range should't be a problem since you can get gazole 50 at most villages. We have a 2nd tank, but again, that is extra weight and you really don't need the range there.(it's not deep sahara work)
A great asset is the flexible tow roap, when you are stuck, but also for towing.
A shovel and the red lightweight planks.
When you need a mechanic, call Ali Nasser +212661775480. He will come to you whereever you are(landrover defender mobile garage)
Have fun
Bart

Post #79693615th May 2011 8:14 pm
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear of your woes, but great feedback all the same. My overlanding trips started in a 1970 tdi Range Rover to Morocco, then Tunisia and Libya. Then I "pushed the envelope" and took an electronic 300tdi Disco Auto to Algeria - no issues as such with either car.

Full of confidence, I got this:
Click image to enlarge

D3 with Old Man Emu +2" Coils, 17" rims, 5 cloth seats, manual gearbox, no sun roofs. Like you I'm forward thinking - we'll all have to take computer controlled cars in to the Wilderness one day. Planning a shakedown to Morocco next year, then maybe the Gilf al Kebir in Egypt in a couple of years time.

It's a worry though !!
 Fraser  
Post #79695815th May 2011 8:53 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

fmb123 wrote:
just wondering if anyone else had anymore photos of them and their D3 in morocco, would love to see them posted here. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=746

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=861

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1544

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4198
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #79696415th May 2011 9:07 pm
Daramb

You are right, it's a worry but I have invested so much in the project that I'm not letting it go.
The main ting I want fixed is that the car doesn't decide when to run and when not to. If whatever temp or sensor is high or faulty, I still want to be in control when we go where and how. At this moment, this is not the case, the car decides.I am thinking off out programming for ex. the park brake and other things it thinks it has to check, before it will let you start up.
It's a hassle, but the driving reward is great!
Too be continued..hopefully we can keep eachother updated on how to make our D3's more desert proof then those cruisers.

regards Bart[/img]

Post #79696815th May 2011 9:20 pm
Daramb

Can you let me know how you post pictures, then I'll submit some tomorrow?
gr Bart

Post #79697015th May 2011 9:21 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No issues with the car at all, despite it having 93k miles on the clock. The driver, however, needs a bit more practice at sand driving Laughing

Choice of tyres & pressures is - as others have said - critical
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #79699915th May 2011 10:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >