Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Eureka - This May Be The Answer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
BN

England 
Eureka - This May Be The Answer

It is a guess and not scientific, but backed with a bit of trial. I think I may have found the answer as to why the car has some silly unexplicable defects, usually electronic. I am not covering the compressor and mechanical items however.

With some considerable certainty and playing around on my RR (going at the weekend Crying or Very sad ), D3 S and D3 HSE, I have found that I can produce some of the errors you guys are getting quite regularly. My dealer is carrying out the tests over the weekend to see if they can produce them.

It may not be right, but I think I am near and it is so simple.

When starting the car if you do not let it go to the 'bong' before starting the engine, many of the electronic bits have not 'booted up' and often get left out, just like a Microsoft based computer. The most common errors that come up are:

Cruise Control
Brakes
Suspension
Windows
Alarm

I can repeat the errors with regularity now. Please don't try it as I think it can corrupt the software and there lies the problem. Mine has been reset today. If you tend to be in a hurray, leap into the car and switch on the engine immediatly, it does not help and can corrupt an operation untill the dealer resets it.

Basically, allow at least 10 seconds, with the ignition on even if the car is warm before firing up the car. If you do there is a good chance no errors will ocurr.

No doubt you will all let me know I'm wrong, but who knows?

Last edited by BN on 27th Jul 2005 7:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #871127th Jul 2005 2:34 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Does make sense, the bong is basically the all systems ready prompt. I've always waited for it and never had any related errors

Si
 The End  
Post #871427th Jul 2005 3:35 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Again, not scientific, but the only errors I've had software-wise have been with the screen and radio not booting up - blank screen and no radio until the ignition is recycled, which seemed to fix it. etc. This happened in my haste to turn the engine over after jumping in, and whilst I've no idea if it 'bonged' or not, the system certainly had not booted.

You might have something there.

More haste less speed?

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #871527th Jul 2005 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

The dealer has tried it today and simulated just about all the errors with a variety of different and impatient start ups. I am convinced this is an answer to many 'silly' and irritating' problems.

Post #871627th Jul 2005 4:17 pm
Pelyma

England 

I've always waited and strangley enough I was questioned about this on my LRE day why I took so long to start. I figure if it is doing a system check it should be allowed to do it. I too have not had any of the software errors.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #873827th Jul 2005 6:49 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Nail on the head, BN, well done Mr. 8) , I always wait for the bong and have never had any problems with the electronics bits apart from a frozen infotainment which was easily fixed.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #875027th Jul 2005 8:59 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have never had any electrical fault on mine and I always wait for the bong I turn the ignition on and then put my seat belt so allowing the bong. That would be weird if it was the problem.

Post #876027th Jul 2005 11:02 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

If that is the problem, LR should consider putting a little light on the dashboard and advise you to wait for it to go out. Suggestion for the symbol would be a sort of red coil bulb shape - to signify the brains of the car warming up.... Very Happy

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #876227th Jul 2005 11:13 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

someone here or on some other board said the same before.... cured all his ills by waiting on the system check to finish before starting. I have since had a starting routine... key on, seatbelt, garage clicker and then start.

I also have a stopping routine.... Laughing access, nuetral, epb, release foot brake, reapply foot brake and then park!!
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #876328th Jul 2005 1:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

I have tried to replicate the faults again last night and sure enough the Cruise Control and Brakes sent out a signal. Have to go in this morning to get it reset again. I am certain it is the on board computer which is either too slow or has too much to do before start up.

Maybe its DOS and not a Pentium Shocked Crying or Very sad sytem. Will know what the dealer found as well today.

What this does lead to is the question of for example, if off roading a situation ocurrs that requires fairly quick restart. Say in a swampy area. Stall engine. Switch on again ASAP, could end up with vehicle settling down to normal or suspension going down as compressor has not received the default message, nasty.

Post #877128th Jul 2005 7:49 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I checked this out last night and mine only bongs when it hasn't been started for a while.

When I got in my car at the office it dongs like usual, but when I got home I turned the engine off took the key out and locked the doors, then I unlocked the doors and turn the ignition on and I got no bong.

I tried it this morning as well. I turn the ignition on and got the bong then turned the ignition off again (without staring the engine). Then I turned it on again and did not get the bong.

I presume that once it has done the bong or had the engine on, it takes a while before it needs to do a full system check again ?? Maybe??

I must admit that I can't turn my Disco on before the bong anyway as is happens pretty much at the same time as the glow plug light goes out.... Are anybody elses Disco's glow plugs this slow???

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #877628th Jul 2005 8:27 am
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We have a VW and the glowplugs take less than a couple of seconds to warm. To be honest the car starts immediately even if you completely ignore the glowplug light.
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #877928th Jul 2005 8:32 am
BN

England 

The glow plugs in a normal diesel only apply when the car is stone cold. Once run and the engine is warm, they should start no probs immediately. However on the D3 the 10 seconds rule I tried appears to be the best, but it is a long time in reality especially if you are used to just getting in and driving off. I cannot imagine anyone sitting at traffic lights should they stall the car and waiting for 10 seconds before starting again, but that seems to be the ideal, in my cars anyway.

Imagine the traffic light senario, car stalled restart immediately and then get onto a motorway from the lights. Suddenly warning lights of suspension failure etc come up. Not good and I think we have had reports of similar, but not that it may have been stalled before, which is what I would have liked to find out.

Post #878028th Jul 2005 8:43 am
simon.foster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The car seems to start from stone cold without the glowplugs without any problems! May be I am in hurry all the time and can't be bothered waiting for lights to go out and mysterious bongs!
 Disco 3 TDV6HSE Cairns blue auto
Defender 90 300TDi 1997 

Post #878228th Jul 2005 8:49 am
Raymond

I always wait for the boing and the "normal suspension height selected" message to appear and have never had any error messages or problems. In fact just returned yesterday from 2000 mile trip round France where car performed brilliantly ( apart from some strange sat nav route choices which I may post about later). Looking forward to rounding off my hols with a days Land Rover expeience at Dunkeld, Perth tomorrow.

Post #878928th Jul 2005 11:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >