Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Euro5 or Euro6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Euro5 or Euro6?

Hi! Starting to seriously look at changing my D3 ('09 HSE) for a late(ish)-model D4. Am I right in thinking that the change from EU5 to EU6 happened with the 2016 model year? So 65-plate onwards, broadly-speaking?

So far I've been looking pretty widely at anything from 14-plate onwards, but would there be any significant advantages in focussing in on an EU6 engine rather than EU5? I understand there's a noticeable difference in how they drive. What are the other pros/cons?

The other factor is that, when I do finally buy one, ideally I'd want it to have had its 7-year timing belt service done, so right now that's not going to be anything on a 65 or 16 plate. But I guess if I wait until later in the year, I might start finding D4s on a '65 which have had the belt change...?

Any words of wisdom welcomed!

Post #229133112th May 2022 12:18 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I wouldnt discount lack of timing belt change on the 16MY D4 if the overall purchase price is good. (so long as its not massively overdue)

AFAIK besides the apparent better driving characteristics of the EU6 models, there are no differences between MY14.5 and MY16, everything is the same including the lower tax and an Alive remap will certainly sort the drive out on earlier models.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #229133312th May 2022 12:53 pm
gareth71

Fair point. The timing belt change wouldn't be an immovable deal-breaker. But if it was a case of it needing to be done within a few months of buying the D4, I'd definitely be looking for the price to reflect that!

I'm not in a rush to change, I'm prepared to wait for the right one to come along. The D3 has just has a brand new suspension compressor, valve block and air tank, so having just spent a fair wedge on it I kinda feel like I should hang on to it for a little while at least, while I wait for a D4 which ticks all the boxes.

Post #229133412th May 2022 1:02 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you drive in any cities near you, bear in mind the possibility of lunatics like Sadiq Khan, putting a stop to using anything other than a Euro 6 compliant diesel vehicle, without excessive daily charges being imposed, in an age of massive cost of living increases. Whistle
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #229133612th May 2022 1:12 pm
gareth71

Another fair point. I don't really do any city driving in the Disco, so wouldn't be a short-term factor. However, I do see a future where anything like a Discovery is taxed and legislated off the road entirely - so I figured that I needed to scratch the D4 itch sooner rather than later, while I still can!

Post #229133712th May 2022 1:15 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Went from an EU6 MY16 lease D4 which I drove for 5 years to an EU5 2014 D4 XXV that I bought.

As previous posts have said, the drive in an EU6 is markedly better imho, principally because the EU6 gearbox map is an absolute work of art compared to the EU5. You can map that out (Bodsy did mine) so it is almost no different, almost...

EU5 means no Adblu. Not as environmentally friendly but I do not miss Adblu and the issues I had with that one bit....

No Adblu means space for the rear aircon compressor, although I have seen a few EU6 with rear aircon (how?) when i was looking for my post MY16 car it was rare but important to me... you'll find more rear aircon models with an EU5. A trade off...

I also felt the brakes in the MY16 were better by far than the 2014 XXV. I upgraded my fronts to a Brembo 6 pot kit and whilst that is excellent (and looks the nuts) I have to say that the brakes on my EU6 My16 were nothing short of spectacular for such a heavy car.. not far off the the Brembo kit.

Hope that helps....
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #229138612th May 2022 7:03 pm
gareth71

Quote:
Hope that helps....

It does, thanks.

Post #229141412th May 2022 10:56 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

the newer the better surely....if you can afford it.....assuming we think they have improved over the years
model on model

Post #229142113th May 2022 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

For my pennies worth make sure it is warranted or at least able to be and EU6 every time. Personally I would let them get cheaper which they will in a short while as they have been artificially high and not good value. You see a lot advertised for a long while that are about 5-7K overvalued if not more especially Graphites . Remember check all the Reg numbers with WBAC as that will give you a realistic idea of its true value.

Post #229143613th May 2022 6:39 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

galwaygreen wrote:
the newer the better surely....if you can afford it.....assuming we think they have improved over the years
model on model

LOL not sure you can say that about the engine , D5s are showing the inherent trait now regularly! Why when it struggled with 255bhp stress it to 306bhp. Still not as bad as the ingenium in the SD4

Post #229143713th May 2022 6:44 am
jimbo55

I have recently just purchased a D4, after having a D3 years ago and a few others between, and debated the same thing for a while.

I came to the conclusion that I specifically wanted a euro 6, the LEZ’s, tax and general restrictions for diesels are bad enough as they are and are only ever going to get worse so can to the conclusion that spending the extra £2-3k was a worthwhile investment in the long term, especially when you think that the euro 6 will also be worth more at the end when you come to sell

The points raised on the artificially high prices work both ways, high prices mean you’ll get a higher price on your current vehicle when you come to sell but yes you have to pay more for the new vehicle. In real world terms I think that difference between the sale price of your current vehicle and purchase price of the new one won’t change too much at all over the next few months.

When I was looking it came quite apparent that there are lots for sale at the very high prices which aren’t selling at all, but also a lot of reasonably priced stuff that seemed to be going extremely quickly so you just have to be prepared that if you see one, you may have a reasonable drive to view it and be prepared to go very quickly. I think being a cash buyer in the current market is very advantageous over a trade in.

As long as you factor in the cost of any work that needs doing, be it brakes, tyres, lower arms or the big 7 year service I don’t think that should be a factor to put you off either. This also depends on if you are doing the work yourself or if you are getting a garage to do the work and the hourly rate that they charge

Post #229144313th May 2022 8:15 am
gareth71

Thanks for the useful replies - all good stuff! The point about waiting a while to let artificially-high values settle a bit is a good one.

Late-ish D4 is one of two routes I'm considering, the other being FFRR. I'm still a fair way from making a decision between the two, let alone pulling the trigger on actually buying one! Just at the research stage at the moment.

Post #229151913th May 2022 5:28 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I could be wrong here, but was under the impression the eu6 engines had gone back to the one turbocharger.
To buy anything other than euro6 is is my opinion madness.

I would wait as I think you will find dealers are having trouble shifting stock at the minute as people are starting to cut back, next energy price rise in October which people seem to have forgotten about and then its christmas!

Post #229154013th May 2022 8:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >