Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Europe Trip 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 12 <123 ... 101112
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Barn1e wrote:
Well, the trip to the vet was easy and not to painful on wallet - euro32 for both dogs to be “examined” and have their worming tablet. We supplied the Milpro tablets which probably kept cost down. We also placed the tablet in some of their food to avoid any problems of not wanting to take the tablet.

The vet was Remy Ducrot at 63, route de Calais 6 2500 Saint Martin au Laert France

10 mins from campsite.

Brian, the vet speaks good English but not the receptionist. I spoke to the vet when I booked in advance. He has three walk in clinics a day but I booked.

THanks for the info Barnie Thumbs Up

Enjoy your retirement ! (I was going to say enjoy your newfound leisure, but for me at least retirement hasn't lessened the pace - though now it's filled with much more enjoyable things Laughing )

Post #194822726th May 2018 7:30 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

What a great trip, and an equally great write up. I am sure you will inspire more people to do similar.

Post #194824126th May 2018 8:09 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Really enjoyed reading your reports and looking at the great photos.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to reading/seeing your next trip Thumbs Up
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #194829426th May 2018 1:29 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I too have enjoyed you trip report. Thank you Sir. Thumbs Up
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #194846127th May 2018 8:22 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks all. Yep retirement has started just as busy as before but doing things I have a visible end result, be that DIY, gardening or work on cars. And without the pressure of fulfilling corporate responsibilities.

Very Very Happy
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #194915130th May 2018 1:02 pm
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A great read Barn1e. It sounds like you have a very relaxing trip.

My wife and I have been tin tenting since 1987 (although we both caravanned as children as well), with a trip abroad every year, and a couple some years since I (semi) retired in 2008. Just before I retired I bought my Disco 3, which I still have (125K on clock) and a new Coachman which we also still have. Must admit I would find it hard to replace either of them with something I liked as much.

We caravan around the year in the UK on CLs/CSs, but try to take at least one, and maybe two, continental trips, either mid May to end June or Mid August to end September, usually 42 days, which as you mentioned is a limit on a lot of home insurances.

Abroad we always use the ACSI camping card which means site fees of Euro 11 - 19 a night, inclusive of electricity and shower. You still have to pay tourist taxes and sometimes, especially in Germany and Austria, electricity over 4KWH a day. This is usually an additional Euro a day. ACSI isn't available on most sites during July and August, although if you look you can find some places where it can still be used during the first week of July and where it comes back on during the 3rd or 4th week of August.

We've found some great offers on our travels such as the Konus card in the Black Forest. It comes free as part of the Euro 1.50 you pay each in tourist tax. Check your camp site is covered by the card (https://www.blackforest-tourism.com/info/KONUS) and you get free travel throughout the BF on trains, trams and buses, including in a lot of cases, with your bike. So we travel up valleys on the train and then cycle back down to the van! If you visit Davos in Switzerland you also get a free card the covers the use of all the local cable cars. Train travel for pensioners is free in Hungary. So it pays to check out what's available where you are going.

Also great value is camping on the farm, particularly in the Netherlands and France, where you can camp for Euro 15 to 20 even in August.

I often travel out via Belgium (stopping for a couple of nights on the coast near Brugge) and down the E411 to Luxembourg (fill up here today for Euro 1.11 a litre) and then down the A31 and the N66 to Basle or the Vosges or the Black Forest. No tolls and very little traffic unless travelling in July.

Great places to take you Disco and van include the Netherlands (great caravan accessory shops, decently priced, fantastic cycling), either side of the Rhine north of Switzerland, Switzerland itself (take all your food in with you if you can), especially the Bernese Oberland, Obwalden, Lucerne and Appenzell and Graubunden in the east. Also the Harz mountains, Limberg and Bavaria in Germany, central Austria (south of Salzburg), the Czech Republic including Prague, Ceske Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, Lake Lipno, Slovakia including the Tatra mountains and the Slovakian National Paradise Park, Hungray, including Lake Balaton and Budapest, Croatia especially the Adriatic Coast (very Italian in look and feel) and the Split and Dubrovnik areas, and as Barn1e found, the Italian Lakes and Alps. Even Tuscany and Rome are possible in 6 weeks.

Haven't done the Pyrenees or Spain and Portugal yet, but it's on the list!

Please get in touch if you are interested in touring abroad and want some ideas or have any questions.

As Barn1e has shown you can have a great time.

If you have done a lot of miles and haven't changed your gearbox oil, don't forget to pack a couple of tubes of Dr. Tranny in case your torque converter starts to play up. It'll get you home.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #195458016th Jun 2018 9:29 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Dean, thank you for your hints and tips. I like the idea of the toll free route via Belgium. We nearly did that but changed our penultimate stop to find the sun and avoid rain, so ended up on the usual toll road to Calais. Having done that so many times I find it boring and a feeling of never getting anywhere. Can’t fault the road but it seems to take forever and I grimace at the cost.

Next time we will get the ASCI card. Most people we met were on that scheme.

Austria, like Germany seems to provide free local travel for tourists, well worth asking at the campsite reception. As I mentioned in the blog, if you are taking dogs make sure you have muzzles and the dogs are comfortable wearing them. Dogs are allowed on public transport but need a muzzle - not worth risking a bus trip where outgoing the driver was not enforcing but on the return the driver stuck to the rules.

Agree on the 42 days - check insurance. Next time I think we will stick too about 4 weeks. I have been back 4 weeks and still trying to get on top of garden.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #195554220th Jun 2018 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 12 <123 ... 101112
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >