Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Europe Trip 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
mz mini

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks for sharing this with us Bar1ne you have helped my decide that its back to France this summer again !!!! in the Disco its a truly beautiful country Thumbs Up
 Land Rover 90 - deceased Sad
Discovery 3 - deceased Sad
Discovery 4 2013
Mini Cooper S 1964 Mk1 - International Rally winner red & white
Mini Cooper s 1964 Mk1 - Road Rally champion green & white
Mini Cooper S 1971 Mk3 - original and unrestored Smile
Porsche 911 997
Porsche Boxster 3.4S
VW Polo 1.2
Citroen Xsara Picasso - shed/run around 

Post #193832220th Apr 2018 5:14 am
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Love that part of the country. Villefranche is gorgous. Loved buying a sandwich, and just sitting on the pebbly beach.

Next 2 years hols are sorted, so will be introducing the children to that part of the world in 2020

Enjoy

Post #193838120th Apr 2018 9:01 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Realise that the train strike yesterday contribute along with an accident to motorway chaos. Decided to walk the other side of Antibes and stock up with some provisions in the daily market plus some people watching from a cafe. Dogs knackered. Pack up what we can tonight ready for 5 hours to Lake Garda tomorrow.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #193850120th Apr 2018 3:53 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Just looked at weather in Garda. 25degrees and sunny all next week Very Happy
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #193859421st Apr 2018 6:14 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Challenging towing on the A8 to Genoa. Whilst it is motorway there is no hard shoulder, mostly two lanes and narrow. Add to that we were in at out of tunnels like a fiddlers elbow.

We took the A26 as opposed to A7 and then picked up the A21 to Piacenza and then to Brescia where we picked up the A4 to Desenzano del Garda. We are staying near Salo on western shore of the lake Garda.

The A21 was a joy to tow along. Straight and flat and not too many lorries to pass. Easy to cruise at 70mph. Discovery did well again. It was great when the lanes were narrow and full of lorries - 2.7 tonnes towing 1.7 tonnes is a good combination especially with the Disco comfortably handling the 100 Kg nose weight that is the max for the Bailey caravan.

Fab campsite that opened today. I had the first pint of lager out and of the barrel. Pictures to follow. My tool kit was missing one piece of equipment - an olive ring for the male end of a hoselock spigot - hope to get one soon as it’s the first time in 15 years I have been on a pitch where I have been able to connect water to the supply. Thumbs Up Luxury. Shame the waste pipe was not long enough Big Cry I will have to empty the waste.
Post #193872321st Apr 2018 6:08 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

As expected the site is almost empty. Our super pitch is super! The site is near Salo at SW corner of lake.
Click image to enlarge

The site is owned by a family of Olive farmers and part of site lies in an olive grove
Click image to enlarge

Dogs still behaving and we still like our spiced and grilled meat
Click image to enlarge

Now on day 15 of 47. Walked to the nearest port - Porto San Felice. Nothing like Antibes!
Click image to enlarge

Nice walks in area and very clean. Not sure I would want to be here if high season.
Post #193882322nd Apr 2018 9:03 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Day16

Last night we ate in the hotel restaurant on the sun terrace overlooking the lake. £7 for a real Italian pizza that was good and £3 for just under a pint of Nastru Azurro. Both seemed good value.

This is the second site with dog showering facilities - not seen that on Caravan (and Motorhome) sites
Click image to enlarge

Did another walk from campsite along paths that needed neither walking boots or walking shoes. Boots and long trousers now moved to back of cupboard Thumbs Up
Click image to enlarge

Weather still a nice 24/25 dropping to a cooler 15 at night, cool enough for a good night sleep. Memory foam topper a great idea from the missus.

Yesterday fixed a faulty motor on the caravan mover. Near side was not working. Started with the obvious which was a good thing as it was a dirty connection.

Had to use part of the toolkit but also added superglue to the toolkit on account of dodgy trim fixing on the caravan.

When budgeting for the trip I worked on 20 mpg. Currently averaging 22 (I know it’s telling lies). That saving is offset by slightly higher diesel (premium) prices.
Post #193909123rd Apr 2018 3:06 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Site looks good, Barnie. What's its name ?

Can dogs swim in the lake from it ?

Post #193910523rd Apr 2018 3:50 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JMack wrote:
Scotland 500, or the Northern 500 or the Coast 500 as it can often be referred to on here, is actually the North Coast 500.

Which is basically a made up route (by marketing people) that goes up the East or West coast of northern Scotland, along the top and then back down the opposite side, basically making a circular route from and back to Inverness.

There is an 'official' website as well as un-official ones and various marketing spin-offs such as mugs, T-shirts and beer.

The route involves A roads and B roads, some of which are single track with passing places. It can be very busy during the summer, especially August.

It can easily be done in anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

Some of the scenery and roads are spectacular some less so. Most would say the east coast is the less appealing.

I am doing it for the second time on the 6th of May with some lads from here. I did it last April with them and had a great time Thumbs Up Hope the weather is a little better this time Whistle
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #193910623rd Apr 2018 3:59 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Brian_DL13 wrote:

Site is called Fornella. I think www.fornella.it.com

Yes there are places dogs can swim, even in high season. Our cocker has taken to launching himself off the jetties and swimming back - not far.

Decided to have some of our traditional camping breakfast for dinner. Misssd the streaky bacon Big Cry
Click image to enlarge
Post #193915023rd Apr 2018 6:24 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #193915223rd Apr 2018 6:27 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Barn1e wrote:
Brian_DL13 wrote:

Site is called Fornella. I think www.fornella.it.com

Link doesn't work, but this one should.
http://www.fornellacamping.com/lakegarda/about-us.html

Post #193916423rd Apr 2018 7:04 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Decided to drive up the west side of lake Garda to Limone. That village was too “bucket and spade” for my liking and the market looked like something I visited in Folkestone about 40 years ago - same white vans and same clobber. Perhaps fashion in Italy is now the same as the uk in 1978! My advice would be to drive towards it but turn off to Tremosine just before.

Don’t do the following if you hate VERY windy roads with long drops and tight hairpin bends that even the tight turning circle of the Disco struggled with on one inside turn. When you look at the mountains beside the lake you dont appreciate that it is actually made up of hidden valleys. Follow the signs to Tignale. It’s up and down all the way.

Warm weather has created a heat haze so not great for photos.
Post #193932724th Apr 2018 12:57 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Click image to enlarge

Limone
The valleys above lake
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Saw plenty of oranges!

Click image to enlarge
Post #193933124th Apr 2018 1:08 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Nice walk across part of the “estate” to a viewpoint looking over what I suspect is also part of the estate
Click image to enlarge
Post #193949225th Apr 2018 5:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >