DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

European caravan sites not accepting T/A vans
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
European caravan sites not accepting T/A vans

Guys

Pre pandemic we took our vans to Europe pretty much every year, mainly France. We have been planning and booking our 2022 hols, and towing down to lake Garda via Switzerland and back via central France, and quite surprised by the number of sites not accepting twin axle vans. The one that is causing me an issue is a site we have used every year near Ouistrehem (Les Capuccines) who now say they don’t take twin axles. It was a great site just 15 mins from the port, so now I need to find something else, hopefully not more than 45 mins from the ferry as this is now booked !! I don’t want Riva Bella on the roundabout just by the port as I just don’t like the look of it with all the illegals hanging around it.

I may have found a municipal site at Falaise but any other sites you guys may recommend

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #227534227th Jan 2022 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Give this place a try:

https://www.camping-normandie-reinemathild...le-camping

Have stayed there a few times with the Help for Heroes Rally and other related events and they have always been really helpful. The approach roads are a bit narrow in places (rural Normandy, so to be expected) but can't see anything on there that expressly mentions TAs

Oh, and it's 42mins from Ouistreham Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #227534927th Jan 2022 5:47 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers, looks ok but it’s west of Caen, and as we are coming up from the south I was looking more between Le Mans and Caen.

Thanks
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #227545828th Jan 2022 9:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Have you tried contacting the site to ask? If it’s one that you have regularly used they might accept you. Although we haven’t got a twin axle, so not a problem for us, I have friends who have, and they tell me that they’ve called ahead to ask (even if the site says they don’t accept twin axles and they haven’t used it before) and have usually been allowed on.

The issue appears to be two-fold. Firstly, there’s the obvious reason for not wanting to attract a certain clientele, but secondly, access around some sites is very tight at the best of times with a shorter single-axle caravan, so to prevent issues with longer twins……..

Post #227546528th Jan 2022 10:39 am
James W

United Kingdom 

+1 admittedly only happened in this country, but we've tried to stay on a few sites with the same rule which they've applied for their own reasons, some of which I can probably guess. Following a chat on the phone we've always been allowed to book.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #227546728th Jan 2022 11:01 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There are many moels of caravans that are the full legal length but mounted on a single axle. Just means each wheel puts roughly double the weight onto the ground.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #227547828th Jan 2022 11:58 am
al cope

England 

Yep, spoken to the site, and they don’t allow twin axles any more. It was a smashing little site so a real shame.

Have to keep looking
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #227551128th Jan 2022 3:08 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did they give any credible reasons for this Al ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #227551228th Jan 2022 3:12 pm
al cope

England 

No, it was just their choice

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #227553128th Jan 2022 4:40 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We did an overnighter here - dead simple and clean municipal site. Made us wonder why we didn't do more municipal sites around France. Had the world's greatest pizza van in the car park. You'd have no problem getting on the pitches. Loads of different nationalities which was great for the kids.

https://www.calvados-tourisme.co.uk/offer/camping-des-chevaliers/

More on your route - we stayed here overnight, which we loved. But I remember thinking it was really tight - I pride myself of my towing/manouvering, but struggled to get our 5.6m single axle on a pitch.

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/france/p...raudieres/

Both of these were about 4-5 years ago.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #227558228th Jan 2022 10:21 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Following this thread with interest as I’m hoping to get away to France at some point in 2022 and I’m now back in a T/A van.
I changed to a single axle in 2014 because I too had had difficulties in France, especially whilst travelling through. I never had any problems with my main sites.
Al, I think you will struggle with municipal sites as my experience is that most dont accept T/a vans as it’s prohibited by the bye laws. But when I was last there a lot of the municipal were being sold off and becoming private.
However, due to the numerous issues with my Coachman, I’m now back in a twin axle so I have to worry about this again.
When we were last allowed to travel I used the ACSI books to identify convenient sites on my route and checked that they would accept us, which the majority did. Gives peace of mind but at the expense of flex ability and spontaneity.
Can’t help with Caen though as I usually travel Dover/ Calais.
Doesn’t get any easier does it? Uk stickers not G B or EU./ green card/ driving licence translation?/ do we still need yellow vests for all passengers and two breathalysers?
I must catch up I’ve lost touch in the last three years! Lost a bit of confidence as well.
Steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #22775916th Feb 2022 11:46 pm
al cope

England 

Ok, we are sorted, booked this site 1/2 hr south of the port (https://www.camping-normandie-clecy.eu/), so whole trip now booked. With regards UK sticker I have never liked the sticker route and currently have GB on my number plates so are just going to order some new plates with UK on them.

I have always kept the hi-vis vests in the car, as even over here if you break down they are god to use. Have to check on the breathalyser requirements now.

I will also get to finally use my telepayage tag ( only had it 2 years and not got to use it yet)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #22776167th Feb 2022 9:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >