Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Everything for over-landing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Register

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Everything for over-landing?

Hi, I'm planning 10 weeks to Croatia then Morocco. I could really use some (a lot of) help.

So far I've got a roof top tent, installed rear drawers, cage and shelf bought a cooker and some 17" rims.

Far from ready and could use advice on the following, along with everything else I haven't thought of -

Fridge - thoughts on Alpicool and Vevor, which are at the low end of prices? Or others?

Leisure battery and charging. I saw somewhere a 'device' that switches alternator charging to the second battery only when starter battery is appropriately charged. £55 inc cables.

Solar panel?

Awning - rather like ARB 2,000 x 2,500

Tyres for 17" rims - anyone have good experience of Patriots? or others?

Hand pump shower

Tables, chairs etc.

Water carrier

Many thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943424th Jun 2022 7:40 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did post this in another topic you mentioned this..

To complete your specific topic, here again..

Don not go cheap on such trips is my advice also charging split/charging is not the route when overlanding…. Although we will read here lot “i have a split charge doing very well” in a few hours/days

Imho, that does work for short weekend trips, not on 10 week overlanding trips in remote areas, where fresh food is not around every corner and you drive possibly slow due to mountains,sand,dessert,forrests (so slow charging and with 2 different types of batteries (starter and auxiliary batteries differ)

Then you need a DC to DC charger imho, dual bettery setup, a high -end fridge/cooler (low current use) with top end isolation. Some (like snomaster and ARB) come with a extra isolation cover for use in the tropics/desert/hot areas

Also think about a solar panel/blanket, some DC to DC chargers, Like Redarc do have the connections build in with some “intelligent” switching

Not cheap, but worth the investment if you do such trips to remote areas and morocco
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22943484th Jun 2022 8:22 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

For battery management, something like the Merlin system would be worth considering. It can manage different battery types/capacities and can take a feed from a solar panel and distribute it to the batteries according to need. Budget around £200-£250.

As mentioned, you want to look at low current fridge/freezer - look at the peak start current as this can be pretty big and some of the brands have power leads that are close to being under-specced for these loads (so get warm, and in turn add even more resistance). Fridges like the Vitrifrigo VF range may be worth a look.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22943524th Jun 2022 8:40 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Well I managed an 8 month trip around Australia amongst many other trips as a solo vehicle using a IBS split charge system. Now I am not sure if people consider the Simpson Desert as a remote area but I do!

The most important thing is a bucket load of common sense which can be difficult to find.

Next thing you must consider how important an item is and what happens if you lose something. So need at least two ways of changing wheels etc. Warm beer will not kill you but not being able to start your engine might. So second battery must be capable of starting the engine.

Consider carefully where you are going, when you are going, who you are going with as that all has a bearing on how a vehicle is equipped. Going as a solo vehicle into remote areas is very much different to a multi vehicle trip into a 'popular region'

Brendan

Post #22943544th Jun 2022 9:07 pm
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I don't think the moderator will be 10 weeks by himself in the middle of nowhere.
I've been to many Balkan countries and Croatia is not the Simpson desert.
You can easily get lost in a gear shopping spree.
Awning is important if you have a hardshell tent like a James Baroud.
If you have a soft tent made out of fabric, you can use a tarp instead, attached to the tent.
Most people think the fridge is a must have. But if you manage to live without fresh or cold food, you can forgo a lot of gear like second battery, battery management and solar panel. If the fridge is important to you - Engel or Dometic are well known and tested and the Mobicool FR40 is a good budget option.
Chair is essential, a table is nice to have - D3/D4 have 'built-in' table to prepare food. Wink
Bring as much water as you can. I have drinking water and shower water separated and spare waterbags are usefull if you know you won't be able to refill for a few days (swiss military 20L water bags are great!)
I always bring recovery gear and tools but never had the opportunity to use them in a serious situation.
Headlamp and usual camping gear but that's obvious.
And bring as much fun gear as you can ... snorkelling and trekking gear, surf board, canoe, bike, books ...

_,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #22943645th Jun 2022 1:12 am
Register

Harold - thanks again, I'm no sparks and am not yet clear on second battery terminology (DC/DC, split charge, auxiliary battery), but I'll get there.

I hadn't thought about short/slow trips and limited charging, but I can see the risk.

I'll search a wiring diagram for parts and logic

NoDo$h - thanks, I took a look at Merlin's website. I'm rather old's kool and analogue, it was like a trip to NASA. I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the advice on the fridge. i've looked at loads but this was a new one to me. they all seem to promise the same, so experienced commentary is appreciated.

leeds - thanks also. I have the broken bones and metal work that evidence my risk taking, but this adventure is with my wife as a solo vehicle. She has the sense.

Entirely unrelated, but I love the comment about what you can live without. I read somewhere that a jack under the radius arm will fool the suspension into raising a wheel enough to change it?

With regards to starting the engine, does that lead me to 2 No. standard batteries plus lithium if I go for the DC/DC/solar inputs? I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

Greg - I appreciate the comment about not getting lost in gear shopping, although my wife has perhaps rather higher standards that i.

Ebay provided an experienced TentBox Cargo and I will buy an awning.

I'll add Mobicool FR40 to the list, but am struggling with the key spec item that differentiates them all.

Hadn't thought about water, thanks and found an interesting hand pump shower on Decathlon website.

Headlamp and usual camping gear but that's obvious. It wasn't to me!

I didn't committed properly to this until I got a clean MOT with no advisories, but I need to think about spares.

Sarah's a keen paddle-boarder, but they're huge and I'm looking at if I flat top the second row of seats, whether I can make a mounting for 2 bikes.

Not leaving until August so hopefully plenty of time.

Thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943705th Jun 2022 6:57 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Is the paddle board the inflatable type? Only a space issue when likely to be used.

High rate tyre inflation kit.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #22943795th Jun 2022 7:58 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

@registrer: A Auxiliary battery, is in general a deep cycle battery… for “household” use, like fridge/cooler

Starters are intended for short current bursts (starting) NOT for long current draining.. drain a starter Lower than 12v and it can get Censored up within a few hours (seen that) auxiliary batterys are far more resistant agains draining..
(Yes you can use all sorts of type batteries together for different type of use to a sertain extent, but the “wrong” type for the “wrong” use is far from ideal especially if you take some outdoor/overland risks)

For the starter battery back-up i use a Noco boost (light,small and very very handy (although most of the time mine is helping other people’s motors) https://no.co/products/power/boostmax

Regarding a dc-dc set up wiring set up, this gives you an idea..

https://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads/f..._setup.pdf

Not very difficult , BUT you need THICK wires and THICK connectors and fuses for low current losses

Ps i am not related to Redarc, but since i was not satisfied with my ICS splitcharge system when traveling europe in my D3, i looked for solution and bought a Redarc dcdc.. so this is what i have my expericience with..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22943805th Jun 2022 8:21 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

It is very easy to overcomplicate things.

First things first. A well maintained vehicle is essential. Get someone experienced at maintaining Discos to go over it with a fine tooth comb. We had a 6 month old alternator pack in on one of our trips.

Tyres it is not just the tread depth which is important but the age of the tyre as well. Old tyres get less flexible and are more prone to puncture.

Insurance and recovery services. Some recovery services will not recover back to the U.K. if costs exceeds value of vehicle. Medical insurance, now more important since the U.K. is out of the EU.

Paper maps and compass. Sat navs can fail/take you on some ‘interesting’ routes. Do not blindly follow them.

Communication, remember some mobile phone providers in U.K. have up the charges in the EU. Make good friends with parts manager at your local indie. You maybe able to borrow FOC spare kit or just rent one and pay for any spares used on return. Maybe willing to ship other parts direct to local hotel but be aware of charges since brexit. Make friends with members of local 4x4 clubs they can give you local advice/information and provide a back up service if need be.

Money/cards. Check charges for cash withdrawals/card payments whilst abroad so no nasty surprises. Maybe a euro card?

Remember to find that bucket of common sense and use Mk 1 eyeballs

Don’t over complicate things but enjoy yourself

Brendan

Post #22943845th Jun 2022 8:43 am
Register

Hardware - yes board is inflatable, just added a compressor to the list, not least for tyres.

Harold - thanks for clarity. I have just replaced the starter battery and had thought to use the old (not dead yet) one for leisure side. Looks like I'll go another way.

I picked up an experienced Noco boost which a mate who runs 24v bought in error. It gave a '68 Herald a real fright yesterday.

Thanks for the wiring diagram. Can't profess to understand it, but just starting out.

Also photos in earlier posts just showed up. Interesting that awnings are all at the rear, whereas the ones I see for sale are generally side mounted.

Thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943875th Jun 2022 8:55 am
Register

Brendan - apologies we were typing at the same time.

Point noted about maintenance. I'm reasonably fastidious but do like used items (repair, reuse, recycle).
I have a new MOT with no advisories. I've done an oil/filter service and fitted new oil pump and belts, repaired the compressor with another experienced one on its way via eBay with a rebuild kit. I'll have a working spare.

Reminds me I put off doing the fuel pump belt, which I must now do.

I had a compressor failure recently and bought a couple of shraeder valves and some fittings to branch into the airlines as an emergency inflation system. I haven't fitted it as the compressor now works and I couldn't decide if it would just add another source of potential leaks. Maybe I should?

Picked up 4 No. 17" wheels for £50 and will be replacing the tyres (which have 7mm tread - free to anyone who can get them off).

Anyone have experience of Patriot tyres?

I've had experience of recovery from Europe - not sure RAC will do it again for 17 year old truck, but I will ask.

I like the idea of parts loan if I can find someone.

Phones and maps noted.

Thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22943905th Jun 2022 9:14 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Some great advice so far, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a First Aid Kit yet, and also get yourself on a short course - even one just a 1-day course to cover major things, basic life support, CPR, major bleeds etc. is 100 times better than nothing. If you're serious, I'd recommend the REC Level 3 course for anyone enthusiastic about the outdoors, it introduces some ALS skills on top of BLS and also some really practical group management concepts and approaches for first aid in a more remote environment. I renew mine every three years.

You don't need to spend a fortune on a medkit, get a decent sized holdall/pouch with lots of pockets off amazon and kit it out with the stuff you really need. Lots of suggested packing lists online, or I can help you if you like. I buy my supplies from SP Services, if you are going to carry it, you want the dressings etc. to actually work well when needed. Most of my 'big kit' in the car is dressings to try and reduce bleeds but also handy things like eye irrigation, instant cold packs etc. are really useful. Also, I carry face and hand burn sheets - useful for camp stove mishaps.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22943965th Jun 2022 9:36 am
Green Land Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

+1 for SP Services and doing a first aid course Thumbs Up

I recently bought an assortment of trauma wound dressings from them like this one.

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/SPServic...505_1.html

Keep a few in the car and one in my rucksack. Hope I'll never have to use them but they can be life savers.

Also have a few sachets of Celox powder in my first aid kit.
 Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #22944425th Jun 2022 6:32 pm
Register

James, GLR - thanks both for the advice on medical training/kit, definitely something I would have overlooked.

Terrific weblink.

Now on my agenda.

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22945246th Jun 2022 10:33 am
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Pete

It's difficult to give specific advice if we don't know how you will be travelling or what experience you already have. I guess from your questions that you haven't done many overland trips.
My advice is to get the most basic gear and do some short trips to know your equipment and what you really need - just because this thread can easily become a jungle of advice from how to poop in the wild, how to repair air suspension to how to make the perfect coffee in the morning.
If you want to be off grid for weeks then follow advice like the ones from leeds - he knows what's important.
If you stay on campsites and make day trips that's a completely different approach. Many do a mix and stay on trails for a few days and then hop back into civilisation, campsite or hotel, to refill provisions and energy. A private warm shower will feel like a 5* happening Wink

You asked about fridges: the ones with compressor are very energy efficient - that's the most important criteria. Snomaster, ARB and Engel are high end fridges and depending where you're going the only choice to get. Mobicool FR30/MCF40 at half the price use same technology but are less sturdy.
For Simpson desert I would probably buy the best fridge I can get. In Europe - depending on your travel style ... it's your choice how much you're willing to invest.

Awning: My awning doesn't only cover the back. It's the Batwing from Rhino and wraps around the car. I broke the hinges twice - careless handling in "unpredictable" wind. I'll never learn Laughing

Your tent is very similar to ours. So why not put light things on top?
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #22945486th Jun 2022 1:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >