Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Farewell to my trust D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BNV

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Farewell to my trust D4

I have waved goodbye to my D4 XS with great sadness, which I hope will be short lived as I am collecting my new Range Rover Evoque in 2 weeks. The D4 was a fantastic vehicle and the Evoque will be very different and this will be my 3rd LR.
With the changes to models over the next few years, I expect I will be looking at the next Discovery (D5) when it comes out. Although my wife has said, if she does not like the Evoque, she will be swapping it for a new D4 XS!
If anyone is interested, I am selling my premium carpet mats (nutmeg), full set of rubber mats and the load liner rubber mat all for D4. Collection preferred, please contact me for a price.
I will continue to follow the forum as it is a great site.

Thanks Julian

Post #8789324th Jan 2012 11:17 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

Having had a few chats with a salesman up here in Edinburgh, I heard that LR weren't too keen on keeping the Disco going (as a model). It seems to have grown physically and the spec has moved in a direction more towards the luxury end of things, and that's FFRR territory.

Would be happy to be proved wrong, but what he said made sense. The key questions; what is its market? Is it stepping on another model's toes?
 Dr Rick  
Post #8790595th Jan 2012 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I thinks it is very different animal to the current RR and both have the uses and markets as does the Evoque (i think)

PS: I guess what's really required is something merging the D3 and Defender as the very high spec D3's are closer to the RR and are unlikely to be offroaded.

There are lot of people that love the looks and practicality of the defender but want D3 comfort and long distance cruising ability.

Last edited by Gazellio on 5th Jan 2012 11:24 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8790615th Jan 2012 11:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As said many times elsewhere, the D4 is likely to be the last Discovery unless they do a minor refresh & call it the D5, but fundamentally, it will be replaced by the new DC100 defender replacement (although both DC100 and Defender will sell side by side for approx 18 months).
All the luxury bits will be RRS/FFRR based then....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8790625th Jan 2012 11:23 am
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't LR do any market research? How many people own a D3 / D4 HSE? How many of those have bought one as I have, precisely for its load carrying / offroad capability as well as for use as a luxury car, with unrivalled seating capacity? Even people who have bought lower spec cars are constantly up rating the spec of their cars to that approaching the HSE spec, why?

I've had / driven all of LR's vehicles except the Evoque and as far as my own personal use goes; load carrying / shooting / fishing / people carrying / long distance touring / family runabout etc. Nothing else come close!

FFRR - Too expensive (For me) and only 5 seats
RRS - Not enough seating or load capacity.
Defender - Too basic

If the "New Defender" doesn't have the same load / seating capacity or a proper "HSE" level, then I'd have to think about looking outside of the LR range. Sad

Post #8791025th Jan 2012 12:38 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

spot on SJ Thumbs Up the discos "does everything well " flexibility was a clincher for me im just hopeing i can shed a few kids and go RR eventually but at the moment this is the perfect motor for my needs all round

if it hadnt been for the 7 seats i would never have had one and boy that would have been a tragedy as im in love with mine now more than any other car ive owned and definately will be considering buying another as time goes on Very Happy
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #8791095th Jan 2012 12:49 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

The D3 is by far the most practical landrover I have own (and I have had a few!), I use it instead of a van for work and have often thought about swapping for a FFRR or Sport but they just don't have the load space I need.

The fact I can have a vehicle that is not Defender based, can tow a house and carry the contents is a real bonus, if the new Defender is ever to replace the existing D3/D4 it had better be good!

Hopefully there will be a heathly secondhand market for a few years yet so I should be OK... PHEW!

Post #8791155th Jan 2012 12:54 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Ignore the fact that it is being refered to as the new Defender. The DC100 will be a modern workhorse, so you only have to look inside any modern vehicle and see leather seats, satnav, PTI, fogs etc etc. I wouldn't expect this to be any different. But it will be designed to do the muddy stuff too, same as a Disco, only lighter! I'm going to go for the LWB version & keep the Disco I think til then.
The DC100 will not be (current)defender based at all, completely different with the only thing being the same is the name LAND ROVER!!!

I personally think that whilst you may or may not agree with the styling whatever they end up with, that it will be a very succesful model, appealing as it should to the modern D3/D4 type owners and to the "Rav4" type owners alike. Might even get some of the EP90 brigade liking it in 20 years time (well OK, maybe that's pushing it a little.... Wink )
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8791195th Jan 2012 1:11 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I thought the whole point of the last refresh to D4 was to move the discovery into an arena LR were losing out on. Too many people were buying ML and X5 cars in the past as they wanted the premium feel of the RRS but wanted the additional seven seats, my understanding is that is why the discovery was upgraded to reflect that desire. I have had a RRS and a FFRR in the past and am back in a disco purely due to size and family life. The name "discovery" i personally feel will live on in some form, even if its the premium brand of the LR badge before hitting the new RR badge

Pete Thumbs Up

Post #8791745th Jan 2012 2:24 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I reckon the Discovery is here to stay, and the next big thing for it will be the diesel electric hybrid engine as detailed in today's LRM....(Feb 12). Imagine it - with that particular system in a Discovery, it would become a tax free model!
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #8791955th Jan 2012 3:06 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

APL wrote:
it would become a tax free model!

Don't worry - as soon as too may vehicles become tax free they'll change the law.
Like they did with diesel.

Post #8792015th Jan 2012 3:16 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ah, but can you imagine the queues at LR dealers if the Discovery suddenly became available with that engine system with it's 60mpg and tax free status (if only for a limited period)? They'd probably have to open extra factories to cope with demand!
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #8792095th Jan 2012 3:37 pm
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Bodsy I fully appreciate that the DC100 will be a modern workhorse and a completely new vehicle that will be equipped with lots of good stuff, but so was the Navara I had for a short time. It had the leather seats etc, but it wasn't exactly luxurious! I suppose I want my cake and eat it! Like I can now! I think that it's only right and proper that LR come up with a replacement for the Defender which although is a good seller, it nowhere near matches the sales of the D3 / D4. I also agree that the Discovery needs to lose some weight. I thought LR was looking at shedding 500Kgs from the future Discovery or it's replacement! So I don't mind if LR replace the Defender and the Discover with the DC100 as long if it can be a bare bones workhorse for some (lots of people have D3 / D4 commercials) but with a luxury pack available for those who want it. It would be a great shame if that whatever replaces the Defender or Discovery doesn't give the same versatility as we have now with the Discovery range.

Post #8792275th Jan 2012 4:31 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

SJ, I think ultimately we're saying the same things. I personally don't want a bare bones workhorse, I like my gadgets too much Mr. Green
I'm aiming for a high spec LWB version. I think the next 12 months will make their direction a bit clearer Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #8792365th Jan 2012 4:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >