Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fault on new Disco - Cruise disengages itself
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fault on new Disco - Cruise disengages itself

I collected my new XS on Saturday from Stratstone Edinburgh. I had a great opportuity to give it a good run as I was bringing my family home from Edinburgh to Poole on Sunday. The car was well loaded with the boot full and a Thule roofbox.

It was very comfortable on the way down the road and handled the appalling conditions (storm force winds, heavy rain) perfectly and felt very stable. The only negative was the combination of the very strong winds and the roofbox hammered the fuel consumption: I only managed to average 22 mpg on the trip. As the weather improved the consumption improved as at the halfway point it had been 19 mpg!

Although the car drove superbly there were another couple of things that happened that had me wondering if the legendary Discovery unreliability was about to manifest itself. When driving on the M6 through the Lake District (it was VERY windy at the time) with cruise control set at about 78mph it suddenly disengaged and there seemed a slight surge in speed. I tried to reset it but it refused to play ball. About 10 minutes later the alternator/battery warning light came on and stayed on for about 15 minutes before going off again. We decided to continue driving until we reached our planned stop at Stafford services and made do without cruise. On setting off from Stafford I tried the cruise again and it set without any problem and continued to function all the way back to Poole.

Has anyone heard of anything similar occurring and if so is there a solution?

Last edited by Gaza on 13th Jan 2009 3:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #40089312th Jan 2009 12:42 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Fuel consumption is worse on a tight engine and with the wind and a roof box probably no worse than exptected. It should free up in a few thousand miles.

No idea on the cruise control or battery light, never seen the battery light come on.

Post #40094712th Jan 2009 2:20 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Cruise control dropping out and not being able to use it again until after the car is stopped and started is a known issue. The fix is supposed to be new contacts on the steering wheel. Someone will be along and tell you the specific number for the fix.
The dealers are aware of this and if you explain symptoms seem to be able to identify the problem. My contacts were changed a couple of weeks ago on a MY07 which had the problem intermittently since new. I just had not got around to pushing it with the dealer until the second service. parts took about 4 days to get in. Hope this helps

Post #40094812th Jan 2009 2:20 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Used the car for the first time today on my commute from Poole to Staines (90 miles). Stripped of all accoutrements (wife, baby, luggage and roofbox Very Happy ) I decided to reset the trip computer. Over a distance of about 60 miles (I didn't reset it immediatley) I avaeraged 35.9mpg! This was a mixture of 70-80 mph running with the 18 miles from J4a to the M25 being stop, strart and slow crawl. I filled up just before I got to the office and the range said 599 miles. Shocked

It would be wishful thinking on my part to think I could get this sort of consumtion on a regular basis but if I can get 30 mpg on the commute I'd be pleased. I'll just have to change from having a heavy right foot to a much lighter one.

Post #40147513th Jan 2009 10:54 am
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have experienced similar cruise control problems.

The CC on the D3 is really poor I think.

If the vehicle is subject to quick change in gradient you can expect a significant (5 to 10mph) speed change - especially pronounced at around 40mph. My daily drive takes in a 40mph speed limit area and I use the CC all the time through it. There is a reasonably steep decline then incline as the road falls down to a stream crossing by road bridge and then up the hill on the other side. I would guess that the gradient is around 1:8 over about 150 metres down and 150 metres back up the other side.

By the time I get to the bottom of the hill I am doing 47mph (with CC off and lifting off the accellerator at the brow of the hill I actually slow down to around 38mph for this section).

Then for the ascent the CC seems to cut power and the vehicle then slows to around 32mph by the time you crest the brow of the hill on the other side. This is then followed by a rather dramatic change down of 2 or maybe 3 gears and then rapid propulsion to about 45mph.

A strong gusting headwind is equally difficult when using CC. I have seen CC drop out on just a couple of occasions as a result but the car is continually on and off the throttle in wind when using the CC.

Another thing I notice is that if you set the CC immediately upon reaching the desired speed you can expect to be going 5mph slower a couple of seconds later. The CC seems to take a long time to settle.

Mine is a V8 and may b e a little different in terms of engine characteristics - engine breaking will be less significant and accelleration may require a different gear and thus be less responsive than the TdV6.

Post #40173313th Jan 2009 8:36 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Known issue. There is a TSB for it. Adjustment to Rotary coupler (clock spring) it also affects the connection to the airbag so it is asafety issue. Dealer will fix.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40179313th Jan 2009 10:10 pm
NJF

That might explain why my cruise control failed to engage for a couple of days last week, but is now fine. I thought it was a duff button or a software fault. I didn't think it might affect the airbag.

caverD3, is the TSB written in such a way that the dealer will adjust the spring, even if the fault isn't showing at present, and do you have the TSB number, please?

BTW, is there a TSB number for EPB adjustment under warranty? The car's due in for service on Friday. Or is an adjustment part of the scheduled 45,000 km service?

Thanks.

Post #40181013th Jan 2009 10:45 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

NJF wrote:
caverD3, is the TSB written in such a way that the dealer will adjust the spring, even if the fault isn't showing at present, and do you have the TSB number, please?

Yes, safety related due to the air bag connection.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40181713th Jan 2009 10:56 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have to admit that I don't really have a problem with the CC, maybe only one eh 2.

1. I find the buttons wrong way around the one I use most (resume) is not the nearest to my thumb.
2. If I overtake another car, so drive a short while on the trottle and then release the trottle again to go back to my CC speed most off the time the CC was shut down already. Crying or Very sad
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #40196414th Jan 2009 8:58 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Interesting description Roel!

My CC is fine, and always has been (but I have obviously now jinxed it) even to the point that on the A380 from Exeter to Torquay, just after the Splatford split, there is a very steep hill, and then a long down hill run towards Newton Abbott, I drive it often on my visits to my parents. I have actually driven it at 2 in the morning with the cruise set at 60 - it is a bit too windy to go any faster, and it powers up the hill dropping down to third, then gets to the top and changes up to 6th (slightly overshooting the speed set). Then when you start going down the hill and it accelerates to about 65 it starts dropping gears and eventually settles in 3rd to provide engine braking down the hill!!

All without me doing anything other than steering Thumbs Up
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #40196914th Jan 2009 9:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >