Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

faulty alternator?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
caterham

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
faulty alternator?

I've had a problem with the heated seats not working over the past few weeks (lights are 'on' on the switch but more often than not there is no heat). Battery was reading a bit low so I bought a new one at Christmas. However, this has made no difference and the seats still only work intermitently. I noticed in the cold weather over the past coiuple of days that the heated front screen and FBH also don't appear to be working properly. I checked the voltage over the battery again today and it is reading 12.4v with the engine off and 14.1v with the engine running. I seem to recall a post on the forum saying that certain things get shut off if the alternator is producing less than 14.25v. Is this true? Should I get a new alternator or does anyone else have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Many thanks.

Post #5763397th Jan 2010 10:07 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Had a whine from my engine over a period of about 2/3 weeks assumed its the alternator but found that the heated front seats did not work but light on but rears did and heated screen took ages to clear but on final day warning lights on dash like hdc brakes and others.Told wife to turn off and restart then had total failure no start recovered on flatbed,Fault was int prob with alternator which also had to have new battery...yeh i know long winded. Yawn

Post #5772038th Jan 2010 10:14 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I checked the battery voltage on mine the other day (2½ yrs old and original battery), I got a similar result, about 12.1v cold not running and 14.15v first started from cold, someone (TFC I think) followed on by saying the actual charging voltage is temperature dependant.
 Clive

Post #5772538th Jan 2010 10:52 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Alternator problems

Hi All
Just noticed this post Ive just had the same problem I put a new battery in two months ago and my battery light came on out of the blue one day.
I checked the voltage and I spoke to a LR tech aswell and he told me that the alternator must produce from between 14.2 to 15.2 or various things start shutting down.
The only problem you will have at the moment is there are no recon alternators available just now they are all on back order just about every dealer in the country is waiting on stock.
I had to buy a brand new alternator for a 2009 model and it fits as I was desperate to get my car back on the road.
The job is pretty straight forward as long as you have a viscous fan spanner, the bolt is left hand thread, if you dont have the spanner a hard smack on the edge of the big nut normally loosen's it on mine it took a few hits to get it off and I would put asside a few hours if you havnt done one before cause someone said in another post that it only took an hour but mine certainly didnt.
cheers
Hope this helps

Post #5773329th Jan 2010 12:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caterham

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for this. MikeS2005 - can I ask how much a new alternator was?

Post #5777809th Jan 2010 7:37 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Alternator cost

Hi
I am in the trade so I got a bit of a deal on my alternator so I dont know what you would pay retail for it
I would have paid £174 for a recon if they were available but they arnt so I had to buy a brand new one the original alternators were Hella units the new ones are Denso items that cost me £220.00 all in.
I would assume that if you arnt trade then you would pay about 15 percent extra on top of this.
As I was in a foot of snow I needed my Disco back on the road so had to get them to VOR it for me this gets the parts to you quicker but you dont get as much discount if you are prepared to wait then you will get a bit more discount

Just a note that when you check your alternator take a reading with the car running with nothing switched on then take a reading with lights on and everything else you have switched on and your alternator if in good condition should be giving you the 14.2 to 15.2 reading if all isnt well you will get a different figure then you need to spend some money I was fortunate that only part of my alternators windings had gone down
Hope this helps
regards

Post #57830510th Jan 2010 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >