Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fbh came back to life
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Fbh came back to life

Over the moon. I had an inkling my headlight connection was bad to the fbh remote. Fluked it and no sign of voltage on the signal wire. Stripped the headlight plug back behind the connector that I had wrapped in electrical tae over the crimped connector and I had pulled the connector off. Put it back on and set remote box to 15mins on the jumper and it fired up.
I am definitely getting an under voltage problem on ignition thou. After a good run, battery is reading 12.3 volts. It is strong when starting. Running I am getting 15.15 volts (that shocked me but apparently its normal). So when I activate the follow me home for a second to get fbh fired, it's dropped the battery to 11.9v. After a few mins of the fbh running, battery is reading 12.15v and staying there.
After 15 mins she will start lovely but in limp mode until I suspect the ecu sees the battery replenished.
It's cranking and starting fine.
Is it definitely a battery going bad or is there a calibration I need to do on ecu.
Any advice v appreciated.
Cheers rich

Post #220695131st Jan 2021 6:24 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would give the battery a good charge before doing anything else. This cold weather is hard on batteries, one of the reasons car batteries are in compartments, sometimes insulated, under the bonnet, they don't like the cold!

Post #220695531st Jan 2021 6:39 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It depends what with and how you are checking the voltage, alternator is charging ok but 12.3volts is rock bottom. First thing to do is put a battery charger on over night, if you haven’t got a smart charger disconnect the battery to charge.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220695831st Jan 2021 6:43 pm
Doughboy

Cheers.
Silly question, wouldn't the alternator charge it tho on run which I have done today for a sustained amount of time or will it just not do what a battery charger will.
If the charger does bring it up a few tenths, is it liable to drop back to 12.3 or would the charging system try and maintain the higher reading

Post #220696131st Jan 2021 6:59 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Batteries are fickle things, my lad has a load in his workshop, charged and being charged. If he leaves a battery on the cold concrete floor, and another in a similar state on his battery pallet, the one that's been on the floor will lose voltage quicker than the one on the pallet.

I've seen it, and he's right, they don't like the cold, and even less so the damp and cold.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #220697831st Jan 2021 7:52 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doughboy wrote:
Cheers.
Silly question, wouldn't the alternator charge it tho on run which I have done today for a sustained amount of time or will it just not do what a battery charger will.
If the charger does bring it up a few tenths, is it liable to drop back to 12.3 or would the charging system try and maintain the higher reading

Alternators, will never charge your battery 100%.... they just don”t .... Good battery chargers, will top it up to 100%

A healthy battery is after a “full” charge around 12,7V or even more... but after a cold period... 12,7V should still be there approx..
A battery with only 12v reading is 100% EMPTY! Less fhan 12v is deep cycle... and damages a starter battery within a few hours... if not charged instandly..... So 12,3V is not very good.... there a problem then... (if that is the reading after just a charge)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22070481st Feb 2021 12:37 am
Doughboy

Really appreciate the advice. Looks like I need to get charging pronto.
I'll be gutted if this battery is fine to startup but knackered for running the ancillaries because of a lousy half volt.
Thanks
Rich

Post #22070561st Feb 2021 4:47 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think you do not understand the principles behind battery’s.......

The Lousy
“1/2” volt as you call it is 50%+ of its charge!
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22070741st Feb 2021 10:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >