DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH Controller - BAS - Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RutlandBoy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
FBH Controller - BAS - Question

Hi All,

My FBH is one of the odd ones that has been working fine (when the temperature drops and fuel etc. is correct Smile ) its fires and warms up nicely and so via the forum I procured a BAS controller so I can start it by flashing the lights. - I will be getting a newer one soon which has an interface to the FBH as well but I was impatient Very Happy

Just fitted it this morning - nice and straightforward but I have a question.

It doesn't seem to work Sad

This module is the 'flash the lights' type.

The module is flashing its green light every 15 secs (which I think means its initialised, talked to the FBH and is in standby mode, ie normal).

I flash the lights as detailed - tried different timings but as per suggestion 5 secs on is what I settled on then off.

I expected it to fire up - but nothing happened Sad

I've check that the wiring is correct - it is.
Ive checked that when I flash the lights I get +13.5 volts on the right lead to the box from the lights, the black wire is connected to the post on the wing, its got +13.5 volts on the red wire and the fuse is intact, and the wire is connected to pin 2 of the correct FBH plug.

I've checked the FBH with my forum wiring lead and the webasto software and it functions correctly and there were / are no faults recorded.

So - after all that context - my question is - if the outside temp is too warm for the FBH to fire normally (6 Deg I think) will the unit not function ?

ie if the FBH wouldn't work in normal circumstances because its too warm means that I cant start it manually by flashing the lights ?

Would explain it I think - perhaps I will have to wait until its colder to test ?

Ohh and there is plenty of fuel in it 3/4 of a tank.

Any ideas - or is it as simple as its too warm Shocked

Post #17594457th Jan 2017 2:03 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

when you flash your lights does the fbh try to start? what does the led on the box do
they can take a bit of time to decide to start its not instant when you flash the lights,outside temp doesn't matter but if the engine is up to temp it wont fire up

also are you just flashing the lights with the stalk switch or have you programed the 3rd button on the remote to flash the coming home lights,i think the car needs the doors closed to work ignition off also (cant remember) mine was a bit tempremental when I first fitted it (have a plip on mine) very reluctant to start if you battery shows 12.2 or less which most cars do if they are not locked up and "asleep "
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #17595387th Jan 2017 4:33 pm
RutlandBoy

Hi,

Thanks for the response Smile

The FBH doesn't do seem to do anything or try to do anything......

The little green light just flashes every 15 secs, which I think (from reading on the forum) means its initialised and waiting for a 'flash' but I may be wrong!

The green light doesn't change or do anything when I give it the 'flash' just flashes every 15 secs.

I thought I gave it plenty of time to do something but maybe I was impatient!

The car was cold (ie I hadn't started it this morning), although the outside temp was +8

Its programmed for follow me home so I'm using the 'third button' to flash the lights, and that works fine - not using the stalk Smile

My only guess is that the pin 2 connection can't be quite 'home' in the socket or something like that on the FBH - but it the unit appears to initialise correctly (ie its flashing every 15 secs) - although what should it do when it initialises ? - what flashes should it do on the unit ? - i'm fairly sure ( Shocked ) that I saw it flash twice quite close together - but I might be wrong - is that correct ?

Anyway I'll have another look in the morning - especially around the pin 2 connection to the FBH as without that it wont talk to it from what I understand.

Post #17595977th Jan 2017 5:53 pm
eightfoot

have you got a code reader youre fbh might be locked out,i tried my fbh plip the other day and it also did nothing, when I checked for faults it had locked it self out so reset and it works again

pin 2 I would think is ok as you have 15 sec green led flash,non com would flash red

Post #17596247th Jan 2017 6:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

13.5v is too high. Is the engine running or you have a battery charger connected?
It will think the engine is running so won't control it.

When you get the lights on for 5 seconds And switch off, does the BAS unit show anything different on the led. It should change when trying to fire up.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17596537th Jan 2017 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RutlandBoy

Hi,

Thanks, I've both a reader and the webasto software and harness from the forum, and the FBH is fine and dandy (as per my rather long first post!!) - so its not locked out or showing any errors.

I'll have a another look in the morning, probably something stupid that I've done Rolling Eyes Big Cry

Thanks for you suggestions Thumbs Up

Post #17596557th Jan 2017 7:11 pm
RutlandBoy

Hi,

right, I've now checked again, and can confirm that the wiring is correct, pin 2 is connected to the FBH via the green wire

I've disconnected the power to the unit, left it for 10 mins, reconnected it after settling down its blinks it green light twice, and then settles down to a 15 sec (approx) blink of green.

I've also now connected the blue wire (the one going to the headlight) directly to the battery for 5 secs to try and trigger it (after disconnecting it from the headlamp !)

And......

Nothing it still sits there and blinks the green light at me every 15 secs. Big Cry

I've again checked the FBH - no errors recorded and it passes all its checks through the webasto software, functions as expected.

I'm at a loss now - any ideas that I've not tried ? Confused

Thanks

Post #17599508th Jan 2017 3:49 pm
eightfoot

try closing the bonnet latch on drivers side with a screwdriver then lock up the car wait 10 mins for it to go to sleep then try powering up the blue wire for 3secs on the battery (leave bonnet up when closing latch on drivers side) see if that works

Post #17599578th Jan 2017 4:05 pm
RutlandBoy

Thanks - will try when I get half an hour Very Happy

Thumbs Up

Post #17599878th Jan 2017 4:48 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think you'll find it's just too warm today - force fired mine with Webasto diags today (long story Whistle ) but whilst getting it ready noticed the cooling temp was 12c Confused

Post #17600998th Jan 2017 8:52 pm
anglefire

England 

The remote will fire up the fbh whatever the ambient temperature Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #17601028th Jan 2017 8:56 pm
RutlandBoy

Thanks everyone, will continue to have a look next weekend Thumbs Up

Post #17601498th Jan 2017 9:46 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

[quote="Bodsy"]13.5v is too high. Is the engine running or you have a battery charger connected?
It will think the engine is running so won't control it.
/quote]

What voltage is the battery actually at? The above cannot be true with the engine off unless you have a charger or similar connected.

Disconnect it if you do.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17602559th Jan 2017 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RutlandBoy

Hi,

Apologies for any confusion - I used generic voltages to describe whats happening.

So.......

This morning -

Voltage 12.35v (immediately after going to the car, not starting or running just open the door and open the bonnet.

I do use a Ctek but this was disconnected.

And exactly the same thing - nothing, flash the lights using follow me home third button for 5 seconds.

The BAS unit sits and flashes its green light to me every 15 seconds.

I've now got an IID BT and so used that to check any faults - none found (on the whole vehicle Shocked ).

tried with bonnet open, bonnet closed, car un-locked, car locked.

any ideas ?

Ohh and in the cold weather yesterday - the FBH started and ran perfectly - warming up to half scale when driving in the 'usual' manner.

I've checked the cable to pin 2 again, correctly located and inserted as far as I can tell - ive checked physically and i'm assuming the unit wouldn't flash every 15 secs if no comms was taking place - but i may be wrong?)

Starting to worry that the second hand unit is faulty Sad

I'm stumped Big Cry

I've a very well equipped electronic test bench (dont ask!!) and so I could have a look and see if the unit is trying to talk to the FBH on the test bench using a scope as I'm coming to the conclusion that its simply not asking the FBH to start up.

Post #176318014th Jan 2017 11:04 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Assuming the unit is a real head light flash unit and NOT a older version someone other than me has just added a wire to the pcb which will never work..

Pin 2 is not the problem as if it was the unit would not flash green every 15 seconds as you say....

Remove the BLUE wire from the head light totally, with the green led on the main unit flashing 1x every 15 seconds hold the blue wire to the battery + for 5 seconds then let go. This should trigger the heater.

If it does not then something else is wrong. But as said if voltage to high it will not trigger it.

Post #176359815th Jan 2017 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >