FBH problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
FBH problem

Hi all
Happy new year to all.

Oh no not Webasto yet again I hear you say.
well i have read tons of information on the problems of the old Webasto on this forum so I thought I would have a go at my dead webasto heater, (turn off now if you have had enough all ready so here goes).

I have purchased all the necessary equipment for my D3 from the shop also the remote starting of the Webasto heater by the headlight function on the key fob to try and get my dead machine working again.
I successfully downloaded the webasto programme and the additional drivers for my old windows vista home premium 2007 laptop and have successfully ran the system and got the dead webasto running perfectly(Well almost) with the computer programme on my laptop.
There was only one fault detected which was "flame detection prior to combustion" which I deleted and started the webasto up and everthing seems perfect,but my problem is, each time i try to run the webasto without the laptop it will not run it acts as if there is no life (power) going to it whatsoever.
I have set up an easy removal fixing so as to be able to remove and cool the external air temperature sender to -8,-15,and one stage a minus 22 so as to automatically start the webasto but still no joy,so i reconnected to the laptop and the same error was shown about the flame detection,I left the error as showing(not deleted it) and started the webasto in parking heater mode and it ran perfectly {without clearing the fault},it will run untill I turn it off on the webasto programme, some twenty minutes later or even longer so there are no serious problems with the machine itself (as I see it) please note it still starts with the error "flame was detected prior to combustion" showing {might add the the information of the fault reads flame was detected prior to combustion but not actual} which seem to me its saying it did not happen a strange one i must say.
This i have done three times in a row now on three different days.
Each time i tested the webaso it was running off the battery not with engine running as it should.
Brand new battery and no voltage problems as programmes shows 12+volts.
The webasto honestly runs so perfect there is no smoke, and so quiet its one of the best i have ever heard in fact, lovely warm air at the vents so i feel there is no need to strip it down as i planned to do.

i ask could it be i am turning the webasto of via the laptop and not letting it run until it stops itself or will this not happen as it is rerouted through the software programme,
or is it as i read in one of your blogs that i need to ensure the car has completely gone to sleep before reconnecting the webasto wiring.
If that is the case how do I stop the webasto if as I said above it is running through the computer programme and won't stop automatically or when it reaches its turn off temperature.
I thank you for taking the time to read this and for your reply and apologise if it sounds somewhat garbled getting on a bit now and not to clever at typing took me over an hour to do this
pete
disco 3 2004/5
Ps I would like to say that without being a member of this forum I would have not been able to try and do what i have done so far.
I have read on several blogs that some members struggle with downloading the webasto programme and additional drivers required for older computer's like mine but it really is easy thanks to all the information on this forum,and may I suggest you buy the required items you need from the D3 shop as I did(you might find it a pound or two cheaper elsewhere but why bother when you know what the shop sells is the correct items and in my opinion at an excellent price) and you follow the instructions and as you can see I got my dead webasto working again maybe not quite right but 99% there .
I thank you in advance for any advice or points that need attention.
Pete

Last edited by Trucks on 4th Jan 2020 7:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21104023rd Jan 2020 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I Can't help with your problem unfortunately but perhaps edit your title to reflect that it's a FBH problem.
I see you have put it in the correct section but if other folk are like me then I tend to just glance at the subject title. Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #21106344th Jan 2020 3:33 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Interesting read, I'm looking at finding out what's wrong with mine in a similar fashion. Mine will fire up ok then drop out with a fault indicated.

As far as yours goes, I'd suggest that the PC software is forcing the FBH to run and when it's connected back the car then the fault condition stops it running. Have you run the FBH long enough to reach Operating temp? I'm thinking perhaps a full run up might clear the pre-flame by burning off soot or something...
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #21106414th Jan 2020 3:51 pm
Trucks

thank for response Dave
when i first started the testing mine would not fire up after several attempts but i kept trying and kept clearing the one fault and at one stage i primed the machine and when it fired up there was so much smoke it was a bit embarrassing that was my own fault as i never adjusted the amount of time the primer ran and i believe it was 60 seconds before it automatically stopped so i suggest you prime for only 20 seconds.
then on the next attempt it started spluttering and wheezing and i could hear the flame popping in and out like a hot air balloon this went on for about five minutes then it stopped altogether i guess it choked itself.
i removed the fuse waited a few minutes then tried again and bingo a perfect humming mosheeen Very Happy Very Happy so keep at it i am sure it will start for you.
As regards to the operating temperature i am aware it should cut out at its max but it did not seem to reach it perhaps i need to run it longer or even try and fix it up so i could drive the car until it reached it max then see if it turns off.
i am pretty sure once it turns itself off it will start again under its own steam Whistle Whistle
ask a silly question is the temperature shown on the software i never even thought about looking for that.
Going to have another looksee tomorrow sometime.
will let you know what happens

Post #21106974th Jan 2020 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trucks

Oswiperus
thank for the reply and advice i will change the title
pete

Post #21107004th Jan 2020 7:08 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Why do you assume that the webasto is the problem?

Why should the DIY w-bus controller not be faulty?

It runs with the webasto SW and proper w-bus controller, but that is another w-bus controller than the one coupled to the remote is it?

For help, please be as complete as possible..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21107464th Jan 2020 10:00 pm
Trucks

hi
thanks for the thought on the remote could be faulty it did cross my mind but as all was purchased brand new from the D3 shop i quickly put it at the back of my mind,i will try again tomorrow and like you say if it works on the webasto programme why not on the remote.

i bought the remote on the presumption the webasto was working correctly when i bought the car back end of last November.
on completion the webasto would not start so i go through and double check and check again all the correct connections were made and the temperature was low enough for it to start but this should make no difference as to remote starting as that is the complete idea to start it when you want.
so the next assumption was the webasto had a fault either mechanically or electrically hence the purchase of the testing kit from the D3 shop

As for help one can only explain as clear as we can with what technical abilities we have we are not all rocket scientist or computer wiz kids and some of us are not that mechanically clever but we like to have a go at things and seek advice from those more clever than us hence joining this forum.

thank you
pete

Post #21107614th Jan 2020 10:32 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: FBH problem

Trucks wrote:
from the shop also the remote starting of the Webasto heater by the headlight function on the key fob

Can you please point / give the link of what you bought for the remote/w-bus starter, as I do not see this in the shop... but since you mention it.......I was also not aware that a w-bus controller for build IN a D3 was ever in the forum shop.. so curious..

So I do not mean cables and k-line adaptor for the webasto software but the mentioned “remote starter from the shop..”
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21108405th Jan 2020 1:27 pm
Trucks

Yes you are correct the purchase came from the following link
https://lr-fbh.co.uk/shop/ and I do apologise to all for my mistake.
As I purchased the diagnostic items at the same time I just forgot that was from a different supplier.
I will edit my post when I get time
Sorry all
Pete

Post #21108585th Jan 2020 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >