DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH pump flow rate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Norfolk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
FBH pump flow rate

Afternoon all

My FBH is playing up - again. Starts okay and produces some heat to the exhaust (although not much) and plenty of smoke but then shuts down. I have a GAP tool and get a variety of codes. Typically it is 02 (0X02) No start, but yesterday, just once, a new one, 139 (0X8B) Circulation pump interruption. It tries a number of fuel pump, glow plug cycles and then shuts down.

I have decarbonised the unit and it was working fine in the warmer weather on the GAP test cycle.

I thought that I would try to test the fuel flow so I pulled the diesel supply from the unit and measured the flow. On both the priming and the test cycle I found that the supply is weak but I do not have a comparator. The flow was just dripping intermittently (yeah - prostate, I know!) and both cycles produced less than a teaspoon of diesel. Have had a look around various threads but could not find a description of what is in the normal flow/volume range. I can re-run and measure the flow more accurately.

Grateful if anyone can advise on the expected flow and volume on these tests.

Thanks

Post #231899216th Dec 2022 2:07 pm
Jimbob42

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mine does similar and I’ve done a fuel test which just spits a drip each pulse, speeds up when pump goes into higher demand.

Post #231902516th Dec 2022 6:47 pm
Norfolk

Thanks

I was expecting at least one drip per click of the pump. Mine is intermittent and with no pressure - certainly not a spit. I wonder if it a failing pump or blocked tube?

Post #231903016th Dec 2022 7:52 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

You need to restrict the flow to get pressure, otherwise, measure the flow into a graduated tube and compare to spec. (around 65ml/min. max flow, subject to a few variables). The pump moves a specific amount per pulse, it's the pulse rate that varies the volume, the venturi in the injector provides a restriction and therefore the pressure. The output will also 'appear' different if a fuel damper is fitted.
Startup pulse rate is very different to run rate at 1/2 or full output.

Post #231903116th Dec 2022 7:58 pm
Norfolk

Thanks. Thought about the pump spec. but the speed varies through the programme and hence not possible to get a figure for the volume. Hence trying to get to the volume in cc produced by the GAP priming or test cycle. Will try again in the morning.

Would you expect the pump to be strong enough to push by a finger over the end of the pipe?

Post #231903516th Dec 2022 8:28 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Never tried it and I wouldn't recommend it due to the problems subcutaneous hydrocarbons can cause.
Restricting the pipe (i.e. closing off with a hose clamp) will cause the pump to stop pulsing once the output pressure is suitably high. You do need to check if you have a damper fitted as this will change the characteristics of the flow - look for a grey disc on the outlet pipe of the dosing pump.

Post #231903816th Dec 2022 8:34 pm
Norfolk

Thanks. Will check in the morning

Post #231904816th Dec 2022 9:33 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just forget “the flow” of your dosingpump, since it is a DOSINGPUMP (or meteringpump) not a regualar fuelpump.

If they work, they work… if not, they are quiet and do nothing at all…

If there is no combustion, OR the resistance of the glowplug is wrong OR there is TOO MUCH diesel in the combustion chamber (due to deliberate priming mostly)

Diesel does not evaporate, like gasoline, so it stays where it is and the FBH will not ignite..

The heat you feel at the exhaust for a few seconds (or half a minute) is glowplug heat…

I had thousand’s of pierburg dosingpumps through my hands… as said they work or the don’t
If they don’t they do nothing.. (or have physical / mechanical damage)

Other non start issues can be blocked inlet or outlet by dust, spiderwebs or even windflow under the motor
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #231905616th Dec 2022 10:07 pm
Norfolk

Harold

Thanks for this. Understand what a dosing pump is and how it works - or indeed does not. However, whether the diesel is supplied in a continuous flow or discreet pulses, flow = volume/time. The two Gap cycles have a defined time hence…..

Back to the point - checking flow rate answers two questions - the presence of a marginally failing pump or more likely a partial blockage in the suction or pressure pipes.

Post #231909717th Dec 2022 9:36 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i just wanted to give you a more plausible solution direction on your FBH problem... i.a. a NON starter..

Thumbs Up

ps.
we sold FBH's proffesionally for more than 20 years...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #231910617th Dec 2022 11:37 am
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

This may help, or not.
Click image to enlarge

Post #231911317th Dec 2022 12:14 pm
Norfolk

Hi.

Yes - very helpful. I am at the bottom left - disconnect and observe fuel flow. I assume the box to the right is linked - check the fuel lines. Do you have a link to this or just the screen grab?

Thanks

Post #231912017th Dec 2022 12:58 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

I've uploaded the 'Workshop Manual' - I'd argue it's more of a systems manual, but anyway.... and the document the screenshot above is from, the 'troubleshooting tree'
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...g_Tree.pdf
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...manual.pdf

Post #231913317th Dec 2022 2:18 pm
Norfolk

Brilliant - thank you.

"Disconnect fuel line from heater fuel inlet. Turn heater on and observe fuel expelled from fuel line. Does the pump expel fuel approximately 12 inches? (1-2 inches if pump is equipped with a damper)?"

Mine was just an intermittent weak dribble - this implies there should be a fairly forceful spurt. I will check the output from the pump before the pipe from there to the FBH.

Thumbs Up

Post #231913417th Dec 2022 2:31 pm
Flatlander

United Kingdom 

Check if you have a damper fitted, also check the pump is getting full voltage and has a good ground.
The only times I've seen delivery issues have been with a seized pump due to lack of use and dirty fuel, the other one was with a damaged delivery pipe, caused by the monkey that replaced the clutch...

Post #231913917th Dec 2022 3:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >