Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

FBH Radio Trick Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pelyma

England 
FBH Radio Trick Problem

I went out this morning at 7:30 to set the FBH to come on at 8:00 for 30 mins to defrost the car and warm it up for the school run Embarassed At the correct time the heater came on and warmed up the inside and defrosted the screen. I thought it was funny that when I came out at 8:40 it was still running. I put the key in and started the car, the FBH turned off but the light on the dash for it stayed on and the battery light came on Confused

So I selected reverse and pulled away - no power Evil or Very Mad I blipped the throttle no revs at all. So I switched off and removed the key. Tried to restart dead as a dodo and a flashing battery light and still the FBH light on. After a couple of goes she started but still no power Evil or Very Mad So I crawled down the drive and 100 yards down the road hoping it would clear. I then stopped (FBH light still on) put it into neutral and blipped the throttle, there were revs Razz , put it into drive and everything was fine Razz Razz

Any idea what was going on here Question
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2829417th Nov 2005 10:05 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: FBH Radio Trick Problem

Pelyma wrote:
I went out this morning at 7:30 to set the FBH to come on at 8:00 for 30 mins to defrost the car and warm it up for the school run Embarassed At the correct time the heater came on and warmed up the inside and defrosted the screen. I thought it was funny that when I came out at 8:40 it was still running. I put the key in and started the car, the FBH turned off but the light on the dash for it stayed on and the battery light came on Confused

So I selected reverse and pulled away - no power Evil or Very Mad I blipped the throttle no revs at all. So I switched off and removed the key. Tried to restart dead as a dodo and a flashing battery light and still the FBH light on. After a couple of goes she started but still no power Evil or Very Mad So I crawled down the drive and 100 yards down the road hoping it would clear. I then stopped (FBH light still on) put it into neutral and blipped the throttle, there were revs Razz , put it into drive and everything was fine Razz Razz

Any idea what was going on here Question
low fuel level in the tank, the FBH will use the 'reserve', starting the car and letting it idle for 30 seconds or so will allow the system to refill, it's basically down to tank design Rolling Eyes  
Post #2829517th Nov 2005 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

TFC do you mean the FBH tank or my main tank? I am guessing you mean the former. But why did the FBH continue past the set time? Are you saying that if I left the engine running it would have sorted on its own? And what about the battery light? Sorry for all the questions - the FBH is brilliant but I'm a bit wary of it now! Crying or Very sad

Post #2829817th Nov 2005 10:16 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've noticed mine will run for longer than the 30mins I normally set it for, maybe it knows I'm running late and is trying to ensure the car is still warm when I get in Confused

Though this morning I must have still be half asleep when I set it as I managed to set the Pre-Cool instead!
No nice warm D3 when I got in it Thud
 The End  
Post #2829917th Nov 2005 10:34 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
TFC do you mean the FBH tank or my main tank? I am guessing you mean the former. But why did the FBH continue past the set time? Are you saying that if I left the engine running it would have sorted on its own? And what about the battery light? Sorry for all the questions - the FBH is brilliant but I'm a bit wary of it now! Crying or Very sad
As I understand it, it's the main fuel tank - it has a 'bucket' around the fuel pick-up line that is normally filled by an electric fuel pump. (Not having the FBH settings menu, I can't check Sad ) I think that once it's activated, it will run until the water temperature reached 75 degrees - the cut-off point, which would explain the overrun, either that or it 'thinks' that the engine is running and goes into its normal run sequence if the outside temp is 8 degrees or lower. The battery light will flash if the monitoring system detects that the bus voltage is below it's normal threshold, indicating that the battery is partially discharged, although in most cases you should be able to start the vehicle. Assuming that there is some fuel left in the 'bucket' in the fuel tank, starting the vehicle and allowing to idle will purge the system and refill the 'bucket', although initially you may exerience some instability in the revs. That's how it was explained to me anyway...

Alternatively, the FBH software could be broke Shocked

Hope it helps

Post #2830117th Nov 2005 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I tried the trick this morning and mine did exactly the same came on at 9am still running at 9.45am, didn't have any starting issues but message center told me that transmission range change not avaiable and special programs were turned off. I also seamed to struggle to turn it off I eventually opened the bonnet and the heater stopped.

Post #2830817th Nov 2005 10:51 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:

Alternatively, the FBH software could be broke Shocked

Could that be possible ?

The radio trick is very random and works on some cars and not others. If you have no FBH menu then maybe LR finally decided to remove the option to avoid all this confusion as to how its supposed to work ???

Without worrying about setting the FBH timer I am still damn impressed at how fast the car warms up and warms the cab up on a cold morning / day. Way faster than any car I have previously owned.

Post #2830917th Nov 2005 10:51 am
BN

England 

BE WARNED

I have done a lot of research with the makers of the FBH. They have also together with me invested a great deal of time on this issue and I have spent days at their factory working with them.

IF YOU USE THE RADIO TRICK YOU COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS. This is because the Webasto has to purge itself both BEFORE and AFTER use, if not it will set up its own internal error in its own sophisticated software as in mine when testing and LR CANNOT release the error, only Webasto can and they cannot do it as LR will not let them under warranty.

We could get the heater to work, but research has to be done, I have reported this fully on the forum. There is a fix in Finland, but it has proven to be incorrect, so recalls may have to take place.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Last edited by BN on 17th Nov 2005 2:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2832017th Nov 2005 2:09 pm
Pelyma

England 

Oh Censored I knew you were working on it, but I thought that was just around keeping the system awake and adding a remote control unit.

Best I don't do it again! I used it a lot last winter and its so good Crying or Very sad

Post #2832217th Nov 2005 2:15 pm
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
Oh Censored I knew you were working on it, but I thought that was just around keeping the system awake and adding a remote control unit.

Best I don't do it again! I used it a lot last winter and its so good Crying or Very sad

Pelyma, it is the old story, we can get away with it for a while, then the wheel falls off big time. LR KNOW something and they are not telling anyone ?

Webasto don't even have the codes to enter the heater as it is a OEM part, no longer Webasto.

Post #2832417th Nov 2005 2:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have used the FBH lots of times. It will run for longer than 30 minutes if you leave it, its the same timer issue that stops it working in the first place.

I only set it when I know I am going to use the car within approx 30 minutes. I did forget once, and it flattened the battery! (that was with pre-cool)

The errors you mention (range change not available etc.) are the same errors you will get if your volts are low when you start.

The FBH does shut off eventually if you start the engine. It takes time, and will keep going until the engine has reached normal temp.

Post #2837117th Nov 2005 8:23 pm
BN

England 

Gareth wrote:
I have used the FBH lots of times. It will run for longer than 30 minutes if you leave it, its the same timer issue that stops it working in the first place.

I only set it when I know I am going to use the car within approx 30 minutes. I did forget once, and it flattened the battery! (that was with pre-cool)

The errors you mention (range change not available etc.) are the same errors you will get if your volts are low when you start.

The FBH does shut off eventually if you start the engine. It takes time, and will keep going until the engine has reached normal temp.

Just remember this, it is an extract from my heater computer report, not part of Land Rovers testbook:

Note the error

Error:
------
Fault 1.........................................................................Fault 36
State of fault......................................................actual, stored
Code.................................................................................24
Counter...............................................................................3
Temperature................................................................48 [°C]
Operating state..........................................................Off state
Voltage....................................................................12,44 [V]
Operating hour
counter....................................................................259:57 [h:m]

Post #2837817th Nov 2005 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >