Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Blackbox Solutions

FCR Bargains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
alex_pescaru

I don't know if you wanted to make a joke or not, but with that kind of money you'll buy the dealers equipment and that will cover ALL vehicles, can or non-can. And you'll also remain with some money...
Here are the prices, below...
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...prices.pdf

Post #8046168th Jun 2011 9:02 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It was a joke lol, i was politely insisting that no matter how many times you ask what you ask for is not available as in my first post. i have the dealer tools i know the cost Smile

Pete

Post #8046188th Jun 2011 9:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mzplcg

England 

I think the point that Pete was trying to make is that the FCR hardware was never designed to hold all the information on all models. For that level of functionality you would be a lot better off with a MSV2 Extreme type of hardware.

Your reference to the main dealer equipment is OK except for the fact that it can't do what the MSV can do, i.e. edit the CCF files directly. I can do more with a faultmate than the main dealer can with their computers.

Post #8046198th Jun 2011 9:08 am
alex_pescaru

OK. Point taken... Thanks! Laughing Thumbs Up

mzplcg
Yes, in my opinion, it holds all the information needed for reading all LR error codes...
See my previous post about updating the firmware.
With the dealer tools you can edit CCF files... Just need to know how... Laughing See below...

Post #8046238th Jun 2011 9:31 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hello Alex

I think you may perhaps have become a little ambitious and wishful thinking with your very recent discovery of what a neat bit of kit the FCR truly is, especially at its price and even better with the saving you made based upon our willingness and flexibility to re licence FCR's to different models at a very reasonable cost.

It is actually a matter of public record that i designed the licensing of the FCR to be flexible enough that we could do pretty much anything we wanted with it, should the need ever arise, and my own FCR is indeed MV and Multi model in so far as the models the FCR covers.

However as mzplcg states, the FCR certainly is not designed to be able to ever hold enough information to do everything on absolutely all LR models like the MSV-2 does. In fact it is so full already that we will be struggling to put the Evoque on it. However for what functions and models it does cover, It's not exactly rocket science to figure out that with just one firmware, all information for what it does is contained in it, without trying to be clever and sifting throuht the firmware updates files which you will note, although some are in plain text, have been especially treated just for such reason.
Unless you would like to explain the order of even the plain text files.
Thumbs Up

BTW, it's actually not the Firmware, but the licence which sets up what is possible on any given FCR, but thanks for sharing your thoughts on how someone less experienced that we are, might perform vehicle model recognition Bow down

The FCR was introduced quite specifically as a lower cost compliment to the other equipment in our range, specifically as an emergency use item to keep in the vehicle, and such as Pete who is supremely knowledgable quite clearly states

Quote:
the FCR is not available as a multi car license tool.

Frankly Alex, although everyone wishes Land Rover Diagnostics were cheaper than they are. You could say that about almost anything, including Land Rover Vehicles themselves. But just like Land Rovers, we have proven time and time again the value and worth of all our equipment. Members here know and appreciate that what we do takes a lot of time, effort, experience, knowledge and development cost. And i really cannot remember any investor in our equipment ever expressing after purchase, that they thought it too expensive.

Regards IDS's engineering mode, Yes all very nice, but you not only need the passwords to enter it, which dealers typically do not have, you also need to have some additional DLL files to use it in any useful form, and of course a level of expertise with binary and Hex data handling that is not exactly typical of your average dealer mechanic. I am sure Land Rover had good reason to include it as a usage but it was certainly not left so dealers could use it to enable the likes of 4X4 info on D3's as and when they wished, as indeed everyone here knows they can't.

Post #8048108th Jun 2011 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

I truly hope that I didn't offended someone with my comments... Crying or Very sad
If yes, then my sincere appologies... Bow down

Why I've asked about the price?...
I have a friend that has an workshop and he saw my new aquisition and asked for the price for the whole LR range. He worked for a while to a LR dealer and was impressed by this little tool. There...
As for the multi vehicle licensing, you confirmed what any analytical person could find out: the FCR, if wanted, could be MV licensed.

And by the way, I am very pleased with its price and capabilities... If you check your mail history, I was playing around with idea of buying one since the summer of 2009 when I missed your promotion of 20% discount...

As for the CCF editing posibilities there is a very easy way to circumvent the difficulties of using the IDS's engineering mode, if you have (or have access to) only the dealer tools.
In fact, I believe, you don't need the IDS's engineering mode at all. Why? Let me do a little brainstorming...
Because, on LR's DVD, you have all the CCFs, for all cars to date, in "As Built" form.
Easy task to study and compare them...
And any guy that knows the ways around digital world can easily modify them in their binary form. I, for one, during time, have written my fair share of firmwares for several families of microcontrollers...
And then the dealer tools can write the "in-house modified" "As Built" files inside the car without problems and need for any special tool.
What do you think, it's a viable option? But as you said, not for the average dealer mechanic... But for an inventive gang of eastern geeks is quite fun... Very Happy

With the hope that I haven't upset anyone, I will stop here with the Off Topic stuff...
And don't worry, I appreciate your work, effort and products. Bow down
And I don't think they are too expensive. Laughing
Inspiring maybe... Thumbs Up

Post #8048528th Jun 2011 8:47 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No offence taken alex Thumbs Up
You do seem to need telling the same thing a few times though Laughing Laughing Laughing

Certainly nothing wrong with a bit of thinking, that's what led me to design this most impressive little mars bars sized tool in the first place. And anyone who has had to work and put up with the Dealers equipment cannot but help being utterly stunned by how small quick, intelligent, simple to use and capable our equipment is.

It's understandable, the closer you are to Land Rover, the more brainwashed you are that no one could possibly produce anything better than them for their vehicles,
I wonder how many LR mechanics are fluent in the term VBF File, without appreciating that the V stands for VOLVO Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Imagine all that boring time wasting vehicle model and type selection rubbish you have to go through with IDS, yet in seconds after plugging in the FCR it figures out for itself exactly what vehicle you have connected it to and brings up the relevant menu, be it Can Bus or earlier stuff like the 2002 to 2005 L322 or even the P38.

If you think the FCR is cute and smart, you should see what i am just finishing up the first build of.
measuring just 10 CM wide by 8 CM High and less than 2 CM deep, with a 3.5 inch full colour touch screen.

Re modifying OEM as built data files:
Sounds great in theory and you do seem to come up with a lot of brain storm theory Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But as a file fiddler ( Laughing ) you must have noticed the line in VBF files like this
Quote:
file_checksum = 0x367F5BD7

If you modify the file this will have to be re calculated.
That's actually the easy bit for someone used to dealing with such stuff on a daily basis, and is for the VBF file itself.
The one for the data is simply embedded in the data itself of course and while is technically a check sum, is actually more a cypher algorythm with seed numbers and so on. Thats actually why no one else could do even the most basic of CCF editing except us for a really long while.

There is actually something else about the files that upsets the IDS, i did not get to the bottom of as i did not need to and BTW As buillt VBF files are now only availaible on line in real time when you have the vehicle hooked up Rolling Eyes .

Post #8049999th Jun 2011 8:53 am
alex_pescaru

I am glad you are not mad at me. Bow down
It is my nature to question/study everything... I can't help it... It's the way I was raised/taught. Laughing

Re: OEM as built files
Of course the checksum needs to be recalculated if you modify the content of the file.
But the IDS, when loading the as built file, checks its checksum, right?
In the end, a checksum is a checksum... A polynom and a seed value.
And even if its more complex than that, in the end, the IDS is just an x86 piece of code, if you get my drift...

Re: CCFs' availability
I've seen that on every new release of the DVD, v125 being the last one, I believe, there are all CCFs up until a point...

One day, maybe it will be a nice thing/honor to meet you and sit and talk about stuff...
Who knows... My lady keeps telling me that she wants to go on a sunny country on our holiday...
Maybe we will come to Cyprus. Very Happy

Post #8050949th Jun 2011 12:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >