Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Interesting.

Thanks for the guide Thumbs Up

Post #181570616th May 2017 5:01 pm
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi All;

ADVICE - this will save you time later...

I have previously used Filo's method to flush the gearbox, and at the same time I changed the plastic filter/pan to the 2-pieces metal pan & filter - nice and easy.

However I missed the opportunity to change the electrical connector that often is the culprit for oil leaks at the same time.

So, yesterday I did just that, changed the leaky connector. To add to the whole complication, the new metal pan does not have a drain plug, so I had to carefully drain the system by undoing the pan-bolts to a point it started to leak, and using a large bucket to carefully collect all the oil - horrible and messy!

I used plastic sheets and cardboard to prevent contamination, I wish i had done this previously!

I bought the part from Advanced Factor for £11
TZV500010 SEAL TUBE - ZF6HP26 MECHATRONIC UNIT

I read this post before attempting the change: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic117451....=TZV500010

And half way on that page, Rob posts a link to a document that explains the change.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...3_page.pdf

When replacing, make sure you insert the new sleeve all the way back, otherwise the locking mechanism won't move up to lock the new sleeve in place - resist using brute force.

I used my 3/4 ratchet to GENTLY knock the sleeve to its final place (from the outside), and when it was in place the white locking mechanism just slides in place.

Been GENTLE is the key here!

Good luck

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #181732321st May 2017 9:39 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm going to flush my transmission in the next fortnight.

The only issues I have with the filo method, is that the oil cooler oil and return line doesn't get flushed out and removed.

Is there potential to pump in say, 1 litre of new fluid through the oil cooler in the radiator and move all this dirty oil back towards the tranny and finally the sump, then turn the car on and extract 4.5 + 1 litre at the disconnected pipe at the radiator as per the filo method, then finally we pump back in 4.5 litres

So we put in (1 + 4.5) 5.5 litres
We remove 5.5 litres

Then we repeat

This way we remove 11 litres from a system that in theory holds 9.5.

Post #182088231st May 2017 3:28 am
Pete K

The FILO method does clean out the cooler lines and cooler.

Post #182095831st May 2017 11:20 am
Tripe

But the purged oil from the cooler and return line just gets pushed into the tranny to mix with any new oil

What I am suggesting, is it possible to first, purge this dirty oil in the cooler and return line into the tranny pan by pushing 1 litre of new oil through the cooler connector,

then start the car and then use filos method to drain the dirty oil via the disconnected return line at the radiator cooler.

Most people seem to get 4.5 litres out, before air comes out,
I'm suggesting we could get 5.5 litres of dirty oil.

Or is there potential to put even more than a 1 litre in?

Post #182096931st May 2017 12:06 pm
Pete K

Yeah you could add another litre to a cold gearbox if you wanted.

You really need to also drain from the gearbox sump plug too, to get all oil out. This is more important.
Infact you could start by draining around 1 litre out the sump first, and then do your trick. You would then have no worry of overfilling.

You could also see the colour of the oil before doing a full change.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

2 litres on the right came out the sump

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #182109131st May 2017 5:57 pm
Tripe

I could remove the fill level plug and capture any overflow? Then re Install plug and do the filo method

Using this method there is the possibility to put even more than a litre in the system to fully flush it out

Post #182121131st May 2017 10:13 pm
Pete K

Yes that is another way to drain.

There will be lots left in the sump even after filo pump out. P

Post #182122231st May 2017 10:38 pm
Tripe

I performed my oil change yesterday

I decided to use FUCHS titan 4134, I was comfortable in this choice after reading others had used it +
I called Thier Support line and they advised that they guarantee Thier oils and specify it for Landrover ZF transmissions + it was $9 a litre as opppsed to $30 for lifeguard

Background, I've had a driveline clunk for nearly 12 months and after replacing front and back suspension bushes, ARB bushes and ball joints the clunk was still there. I began to suspect that the auto box maybe the problem.

Anyway, as I was changing oil products, I wanted to get most of the old oil out.

I used Filos method, the only difference I did, was after my first flush and re injection of the new oil, I repeated the process 2 more times.

Before I started, I was expecting to get around 4.5 litres out on the first flush, I only managed 3.7 litres, this was 0.8 litres less than expected ?

Process

First flush 3.7 litres out, Pumped back in 3.7 litres
Second 2.3 litres out, Pumped back in 2.3 litres
Third 2.0 litres out, Pumped back in 2.0 litres

(I removed 8.0 litres and replaced it with 8.0 litres )

After pumping the new fluid back in, I allowed 5 minutes for the oil to settle, Before the next flush

On the very last part of the third flush the oil changed colour from black to the new oils cherry red colour, so I was reasonablely happy that I removed 8 litres of old oil

The sample on the left is from the 6 litres from No: 1+2 flush
The sample on the right is from 3rd flush.

I was slightly concerned that There may be excess air in the system so I plumbed in a small piece of clear 1/2" tube and ran the system for over a minute, and it was straight fluid being pumped, no sign of any air pockets in the system + the oil was mostly transparent cherry coloured oil

Now, I was happy about no air pockets in the system, I started the car to warm up the gearbox for final oil level check, I placed my foot on the brake and moved through the gears to get the oil moving through the tranny, I also went for a very quick drive to use all the gears

I used my hand to guess the tranny temp and removed the fill plug, what then surprised me!!!
I had to inject 0.8 litres of oil into the fill hole before it started to run out, I used a thermometer to measure the final oil temp of the dribbling oil and then reinstalled the fill plug.

I took the car for a short drive and I noticed better gear changes
And the driveline clunk seems to of disappeared !!!!

Key learnings:

-It's now obvious my transmission was 0.8 of a litre low on fluid!!
This matches perfectly to Only getting 3.7 litres out on the first flush as I was expecting 4.5 litres

-With the transmission holding 9.5 litres and my system being 0.8 litres under, this suggests I had a total volume of 8.7 litres, I am confident I removed close to 8 litre of old oil. I think it's slightly plausible that the remaning 0.7 litres of oil is sticking to the inside surfaces.

-The clunk in my driveline seems to be attributed to the old Oil and missing 0.8 litres!

-After fitting the fill level plug I had a good look around the mechtronic sleeve and surprise,
Surprise it's got the tell tale sign of an oil leak!

I can't believe, that at no stage of 10 years of ownership that at the very least an inspection is not done of the oil level during a designated service interval.

And finally don't be afraid of this transmission, if I can drive round with it being 0.8 litres low and no low pressure or temp warnings are coming up, then anyone being scared off from doing it themselves by not being sure if thier work surface is exactly flat or the transmission is at the exact temperature, then they should have a rethink.

Last edited by Tripe on 5th Jun 2017 12:03 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #18226525th Jun 2017 1:06 am
Pete K

Nice write up.

I got just over 3.5l out of the flush the first time. (see picture above - Left bottle)

Shame you didn't undo the sump plug though.

Post #18227325th Jun 2017 11:19 am
Tripe

I did think about that, but I was paranoid about getting An airlock in the circuit.

I'm going to run this oil, For a Couple thousands kms and install a new 2 piece pan and filter and
New oil.

I went for another drive today, I detected a slight clunk, but it's
Only about 10% of what it was, I am now suspecting the front drive shaft needs replacing

Post #18227435th Jun 2017 11:40 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Finally did mine today, very easy and pretty much mess free, only 3.75 litres came out with the engine running, 4 litres pumped back in sump to temp level checked good for another year Thumbs Up
Last changed 2 yrs ago.
Getting the car level front to back and side to side was perhaps the hardest bit as I live on a hill!

Post #182666914th Jun 2017 3:37 pm
KostasA

Greece 

Pete K wrote:
Yeah you could add another litre to a cold gearbox if you wanted.

You really need to also drain from the gearbox sump plug too, to get all oil out. This is more important.
Infact you could start by draining around 1 litre out the sump first, and then do your trick. You would then have no worry of overfilling.

You could also see the colour of the oil before doing a full change.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

2 litres on the right came out the sump

Pete, just for my understanding why you advise on draining the sump? if for example you do FILO's method and try to push in (and eventually out) 9 liters in say 3 circles of the procedure isn't it the same thing? of course you have to be really sure that the original quantity was correctly measure.
reason am saying this is not to touch the drain plug at all and avoid the re leveling procedure of the oil.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #183118927th Jun 2017 4:49 pm
Pete K

I guess I just like to get all the oil out, and then put new oil in.

It will result in less waste.

If you add the oil that came out the front, with the oil that came out the sump and put that quantity in, you will also have the same result ?

Post #183121027th Jun 2017 5:26 pm
KostasA

Greece 

fare enough, my worry is that drain plug.

cheers for the answer

Post #183121927th Jun 2017 5:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 17 <123 ... 91011 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >