Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Finally I got to drive one...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Finally I got to drive one...

Dropped my D3 into Shukers today (intermittent dreaded Engine System Fault errors and loss of power) and the Dave the service chap asked me if I'd driven the D4 yet ?

"No" I said.

"Come on then" he said as he handed me the key.

Damn him... Evil or Very Mad I like it Big Cry

Black HSE with 3.0L engine and automagic 'box.

Very impressed with the take up on the engine and the way it hunkers down into corners (far far better than the D3). Overall ride and handling is way ahead of the already superior ride and handling we enjoy with the D3. Steering is far far better and far more direct. Less wooly in feel.

Interior is great with all the soft touch cladding and those super cool cameras. Not too sure on the 'almond' colour though, still would prefer black or a very very dark grey.

They took away all the buttons and added an over complex SatNav instead... not my preference personally, would far rather have buttons to press without having to look than have an arms length away touch screen with multiple menu options.

Why people are moaning about the TR dial placement is beyond me though, its right there in front of you and as the programmes are in the same order as before, its easy to flick it into GGS, M&R, etc. Suspension and low range selectors are fiddly I admit, but then how many times do you actually ever need to use them on or off road ??

TR you would use interactively off road (and on road with GGS) and this is easily done as with the D3's large dial. Having the dial display graphically on screen in the dash removes any confusion as to what it selected.

Love the new dash with its TFT display and speedo / rev counter that look computer generated even though they are not. The graphics and lighting match the centre display perfectly. Crisp and very clear.

Had no issue with knee or leg room, the seat travels far enough back to allow for some very long legs. Profiling of the area below the steering wheel looks to be the same.

Door cards are the biggest change visually to me, even though the whole design of the centre console is new. But this just blends into the interior scenery so well, that you don't really notice. The doors cards being far more angular do stand out far longer visually.

New front end design is a winner IMHO and removes the 'Judge Dredd' chin from the D3 without loosing its overall presence.

From what I am told, the LED's in the halogen headlamp units can be activated and Shukers thought that some dealers were just not activating them correctly.

To sum up, Discovery 4 is not quite the version 4 it could be, but its damn close to being one. So I would peg it at about a Discovery 3.8, Discovery 3.5 doesn't really do it justice enough considering the changes that have taken place... certainly not on the 3.0L anyway.

So, assuming the job front improves over the next year and a half, I will be looking to happily upgrade to a new or nearly news D4.

And thanks again Dave for being a tease Wink

Last edited by simon on 18th Sep 2009 10:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #52183318th Sep 2009 1:48 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice review and if I'm honest, it sums up my thoughts on it too (with the exception of the drive as I'm yet to do that bit) Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #52183518th Sep 2009 2:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Yes nice review. I'm with you as well in your summary. What did you think of the stopping power? bigger brakes improved this to a lesser or greater degree..
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #52184818th Sep 2009 3:10 pm
simon

Braking was very good, feel is better than with my D3 and the auto 'box steps down very nicely to assist. Didn't try any hard braking TBH, it was a bit new to be mucking about in too much Wink

But yes, brakes seem far improved... to match the extra oomph the engine delivered.

Post #52186318th Sep 2009 3:59 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Finally I got drive one...

simon wrote:
Dropped my D3 into Shukers today (intermittent dreaded Engine System Fault errors and loss of power)

Good reveiw there Simon, but the important bit .... what's the D3's prognosis?

Not the dreaded T**** is it?? Confused
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #52186418th Sep 2009 4:09 pm
simon

I have a copy of the report here from IDS.

Only reported DTC's / ERR's listed :

Audio amplifier module [01 DTC]
Auxiliary heater control module [01 DTC]
Body control module [04 DTC]
Digital audio control module C [ERR 0x2cf]
Powertrain control module - P2199-22 Intake air temperature 1/2 correlation. General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum (above mx or below min threshold)
Powertrain control module - P062B-46 Internal control module fuel injector control performance. System internal failure - calibration/parameter memory failure. Monitoring unit fault: replace ECU

They have cleared all faults and apparently there were 2 other error codes that were unknown and had to call LR tech to find out what they were. Advice from LR was to clear all faults and if return, replace ECU.

The audio related faults may be due the odd habit the system has to go completely silent (not happened again for months) until a restart.

Was nice and shiny too when I collected it...

Good people at Shukers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #52186918th Sep 2009 4:28 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nice, review, also agree re Shukers, mine was in for an MOT on Tuesday, they drove 50 miles to collect my car and left me with a TDV8 FFRR to play with for 2 days, then bought the D3 back to me after they repalced a lot of suspension rubbers and ball joints under warranty

Thumbs Up

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #52189118th Sep 2009 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Chris, was that Shrewsbury or Ludlow, I find Shrewsbury terrible from my last experience with them......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #52190118th Sep 2009 5:21 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Bodsy wrote:
Chris, was that Shrewsbury or Ludlow, I find Shrewsbury terrible from my last experience with them......

And there was me thinking you were at Ludlow Rolling Eyes

Si great review Thumbs Up

I agree with the door card comments they are very different. When I drove a D4 with manual seat adjusters eew Shocked I found that an extra elbow 1/2 way down my forearm would have been advantageous as the bit one pulls to close the door protrudes into the car quite a lot, so one has to open the door to slide the back Whistle
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #52192018th Sep 2009 7:05 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

What was it like off road?
Embarassed
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #52193018th Sep 2009 7:54 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Re: Finally I got drive one...

simon wrote:
Very impressed with the take up on the engine and the way it hunkers down into corners (far far better than the D3). Overall ride and handling is way ahead of the already superior ride and handling we enjoy with the D3. Steering is far far better and far more direct.

That, plus the improved braking feel, pretty much sums up what sold me... just hope we all like the almond interior when it turns up!

Post #52195918th Sep 2009 8:56 pm
simon

Ludlow... always been there always will.

Great people !

Post #52196418th Sep 2009 9:01 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yep Ludlow, top chaps Thumbs Up

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #52196818th Sep 2009 9:04 pm
simon

bigcarpchaser wrote:
What was it like off road?
Embarassed

Very good. I drove it around Shukers car park and did reversing with the camera system and everything. Rolling with laughter

i even selected M&R just for the hell of it Wink

I'm sure its as good or better than the D3 due to upgraded TR programs (inc Sand Launch or whatever its called).

One thing, the spats under the front bumper are easily removed Thumbs Up

Post #52197218th Sep 2009 9:06 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Pretty much concur with everything you said Simon. Better in every single aspect as far as I'm concerned.

What did you say about LED's again? Did your dealer have first hand knowledge of having the ability to activate these for halogen or was it that they only work on xenon but have to be activated?

Very interested in the LED's - I wanna my big LED grin Mr. Green
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #52200918th Sep 2009 9:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >