Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Firm suspension-Can it be changed back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Firm suspension-Can it be changed back?

After service my car has much firmer suspension. Thank you everyone who confirmed this COULD be so after I posted a query last night. The dealer said he had never heard of this observation before.
Does anyone know if this firm suspension can be reversed/adjusted if an owner does not actually want a firm, sports feel to their car and preferred the softer, more comfortable, pre-enhancement feel?
Thanks so much for advice.

Post #8718121st Sep 2006 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think there is another issue at play here not just the latest sw. We have all noted former suspension but I would fall way short of saying its too firm or sports car like.

Have the dealer check everything.

Also I would assume that the 'old' suspension software could be reloaded if required.

personally I prefer the more car like feel of the new setup. And the D3 certainly handles better with less roll around corners.

-s

Post #8720121st Sep 2006 10:36 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

One of the aspects of the enhancement programme is to alter the way that the suspension control module operates. The suspension has been "firmed" up, and the vehicle handling has improved as a result.

I agree that the consequence of this is that the softer, land boat, wallow has gone, and it is a shame that there isn't a button that can be pressed to allow the nature of the suspension to be adjusted.

However, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or anything to take it back to the dealer to "fix". The configuration has been changed, in rather the same way as the disappearance of the pre-heat setting, much beloved by many...........

Post #8721321st Sep 2006 10:46 pm
simon

If you look at the engineering thats under the D3 and how bloody well its been designed... it should last for bloody ages...

anyway Off Topic

Laura - apologies to you. Have your dealer check the suspension out. Also ask to drive another D3 thats also had the latest sw uploaded and see if it feels different.

As I said, all I've really noticed is the D3 handles far far better now. Still floats down the road better than anything else I've driven.

-s

Post #8723321st Sep 2006 11:05 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Laura,

In amongst the superfluous and off-topic verbage, there may be just a word or two that is of help regarding your initial enquiry....if you can find it.

Post #8725221st Sep 2006 11:17 pm
Laura

Thank you for all your advice. It is most interesting. I have a HSE Auto on a 55 plate. It has done 10.000 miles. Maybe it is just a case of getting used to the new feel.

Post #8726921st Sep 2006 11:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

But do try another D3 at the dealer as I suggested earlier. That way you'll be able to tell if yours is too firm or not.

-s

PS Must apologise for DD, he has issues with his ride.

Post #8727421st Sep 2006 11:28 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would have to agree with Laura. I have a D3 HSE which is less than 5 months old and has now done 10,500 miles and before that I had a RRS for nearly a year and did 20,000 miles in that - so I know how the air suspension 'feels'.
Mine had the software enhancements a fortnight ago and I too find it too hard now. Things rattle and shake now that simply have never done before. If something is left in the door pocket, it rattles and also the rear backrests wobble too which causes rattles. On a smooth road, it's not a problem, but the new firmness does seem to make the car feel less luxurious and less of a quality expensive motor.
If you live in an area of good quality roads, then maybe you haven't experienced any of the harshness transmitted up through into the car, but on rough country roads, the s/w enhancements have certainly made the car far worse.
On the plus side, it does handle better now if you are really pushing it hard and it is less wallowy in the corners etc. But then it was good before and I would prefer a softer ride for the trade-off of the slightly better handling when going mad around the bends.

If the suspension can be changed this much by software, then why can’t we have this as a user switchable option like you get in some other cars? After all, we have a sport mode on the auto box. There is such little different between the normal mode and sport mode, why don’t LR make the suspension setup change in sport mode? Ideally I would like to see the old softer setup in normal mode and then the new firmer suspension come in when in sport mode – after all, this is only when you really need it!
 Matt  
Post #8740422nd Sep 2006 12:39 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

has anybody asked anyone in the know @ LR the reason behind the firming up? maybe there is some safety or stability issue it's been done for?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #8741222nd Sep 2006 1:00 pm
d3matt

I gave my dealer my views on the firming up and they were very pleased to get some feedback. They said that they get very little feedback.
I don't know if it goes any further though.
 Matt  
Post #8741922nd Sep 2006 1:27 pm
Laura

I agree with you Matt. I am getting things in the car rattling that did not happen before. I drive on roads that have had the gas mains replaced and I did not realise how bumpy they were until the enhancement.

Everyone has different priorities when they buy a vehicle but the point is you decide on these and then make a purchase accordingly. I cannot see how a company (any company not just motor companies) can make a fundamental change to your purchase after you have bought it unless it is for safety reasons. I can see that some would like the change in the ride quality but I bought the car on the basis of its comfortable ride and luxury feel. For me that has been changed now.

I'm glad many people are happy with it because I first thought the change would reduce its value.

My dealer won't take my calls at the moment. He is waiting for a reply from Land Rover.

Laura

Post #8749222nd Sep 2006 7:21 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I know this may be stating the obvious, have you checked your tyre pressures. You never know a "Kevin" may have been on a day release when your car was at the dealer. They may have asked him to check the tyre pressures and he could have inflated them to the max pressure stated on the side wall. Don’t laugh it has happened.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8749322nd Sep 2006 7:32 pm
simon

good point Andrew... some have had some very strange air pressures indeed.

Post #8750422nd Sep 2006 8:38 pm
d3matt

I check my tyre pressures almost every weekend and also adjust the pressures depending on the loading in the car. Also brought an accurate guage as per an AutoExpress product test. It amazing how so many people never check their tyres - it's so important.
 Matt  
Post #8752022nd Sep 2006 9:37 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Just had mine (nov 04) back from its enhancement, It feels a little tighter than before and I think I can feel road bumps a tad more, there's nothing rattling about inside and the cushioned feel is still there, I'm happy with it.
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #8752622nd Sep 2006 10:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >