Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

First 10 days & 800 miles + a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Very interesting report. Thanks for sharing.

Post #179379720th Mar 2017 8:52 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

S2Bear,

I spend a lot of time in France and have a question regarding your experience of navigation routing.

I see from your other post that you have a SIM inserted. Did you have Live traffic updates turned on and also roaming in the in car settings so it was working in France?

If you did, then did you have the 3G icon displayed indicating you had reception?

Presumably Tomtom was getting traffic updates and routed around the problems?

Cheers
Jim

Post #179382420th Mar 2017 10:38 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great write-up. Thanks for the frank review - real world usage reports are so much more valuable than the advertorials we read, written after a rock star treatment! Car still sounds fab, which is great news for those of us who are waiting for delivery.
 Java TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and a few other fancy bits
BMW C1 200 with too many options to list and the world's worst image 

Post #179384020th Mar 2017 10:58 am
S2bear

United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
S2Bear,

I spend a lot of time in France and have a question regarding your experience of navigation routing.

I see from your other post that you have a SIM inserted. Did you have Live traffic updates turned on and also roaming in the in car settings so it was working in France?

If you did, then did you have the 3G icon displayed indicating you had reception?

Presumably Tomtom was getting traffic updates and routed around the problems?

Cheers
Jim

Hi Jim. Yes it had 3G displayed plus traffic updates from the sim and also there's a web browser/hotspot etc. I used a Three sim which is 4G in UK but only 3G abroad and there are no roaming charges on Three, I'll post how much data's been used when I get home. Interestingly I haven't figured out yet if the nav has TMC for traffic. First impressions were that it hasn't but I could be wrong. Will check that too. Stu

Post #179391820th Mar 2017 2:50 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

I have the Three sim in my D5 as well for the same reason, I guess you are using the 12Gb for 12 months one?
I think it uses TMC if you do not not have Live Traffic turned on.

I have driven through France in a BMW and their live traffic service was very good, I believe their inbuilt sim is on the Vodafone network.

Do you think it could be that the Three coverage might be a bit iffy in areas of France such as the mountains so could not pick up closed roads?

Post #179392320th Mar 2017 2:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

3 roam on two or 3 networks, incl Orange FR, and always been pretty good. Even in ar$e end of nowhere in French Pyrenees. Would be worth checking the car is locked to one of the big networks in France as there is a minor network that 3 roam with which can be a bit iffy, but I've always found it would loose that quickly & jump to Orange FR.

Post #179392820th Mar 2017 3:05 pm
S2bear

United Kingdom 

jimbg wrote:
I have the Three sim in my D5 as well for the same reason, I guess you are using the 12Gb for 12 months one?

Do you think it could be that the Three coverage might be a bit iffy in areas of France such as the mountains so could not pick up closed roads?

Hi. I already had a Three data sim 20Gb a month which I was using in a dongle so I put that in there and when I know how much it uses I'll change or reduce the allowance. It's pretty good and hops onto loads of networks here but only on 3G as Three only have roaming agreements for 3G as opposed to 4G.

I'm not sure the single route/closed roads issue is anything to do with the data signal as I also put the destination into the app on my iPhone which was on WiFi at the time.
Once I was 2/3 of the way here I deselected 'tunnels' on the nav options list which then ruled out the Mont Blanc tunnel and defaulted to my proper route but I didn't fully trust it. It may be using old data I think as many BMWs had the same issue years n years ago - Mont Blanc tunnel bloke told me that back in 2004 when I learned the hard way Sad

Post #179398920th Mar 2017 6:41 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Yes, not sure how much data is going to used by the car as opposed to passengers on the WiFi hot spot.

I have gone with the recommendation from the RRS2 forum :- https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-P...-12GB-Data

I reckon it should last a long time, then ditch it and buy a new one.

Post #179399420th Mar 2017 6:58 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="S2bearInterestingly I haven't figured out yet if the nav has TMC for traffic. First impressions were that it hasn't but I could be wrong. Will check that too. Stu[/quote]

My D4 has TMC also you can select from 3 routes also tell it there's a blockage to force a different route, so I'd be surprised if the D5 hasn't.

That said, the D4 satnav is IMO c Censored p. But then I've yet to see a manufacturer's satnav that was as good as Tomtom or Garmin.

Post #179399620th Mar 2017 7:01 pm
Maxc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The inbuilt SIM is from Vodafone but is able to roam to any UK network available - though VF heavily bias the connection towards their own network, and preferred partner networks abroad. The SIM will have to fail to make the preferred connection to the VF network several times before it will seek an alternate network so you will have down-time in any case. It is also quite common for the SIM to "hang" where it sees the VF radio network, but the data quality is too poor to work. They have no mechanism to resolve this without a reboot so you get stuck with no data until you move to a different cell connection or restart to system.

Post #179410420th Mar 2017 10:21 pm
S2bear

United Kingdom 
UPDATE, if anyone cares

So what I discovered on the way back... with Live Traffic ON, when planning the route, as someone rightly suggested, it did NOT try to take me across the closed mountain passes and through the MontBlanc Tunnel.

However, I then had to turn Live Traffic OFF because the NAV insisted on rerouting me via Paris, no matter what I did. The alternative and better route via Reims was selected but then that was immediately changed back to Paris again. When Live Traffic was OFF... I still seemed to receive traffic jam alerts, presumably to do with TMC and I could keep my preferred route.
The route planning app gives you no choices or traffic preferences it would seem.
The upshot of this is that I'm still baffled and unimpressed but it's software so can be fixed/updated, in theory.

The InControl Apps will now not connect at all despite restarting the car and rebooting the phone numerous times and the middle USB slot in the centre console appears to be dead as it does not charge the phone. Neither socket connects. There are two messages it kicks out - InControl Apps not available, Try again and Connect a compatible device to the USB socket.

The loose connection on the hidden compartment door with the climate controls on it can be temporarily worked around if you bash your left knee on the side of the centre console.

None of this is something one would associate with a £66k purchase (I've a feeling someone may tell me different!). More faults with this in 2 1/2 weeks than my Touareg in 3 1/2 years. Not impressed really, I'd expected different teething problems with a new model. The infotainment is already in service in existing models so I hoped it would be relatively trouble free.

MPG at speeds ranging from 75 to 85 with occasional 95mph gave 26.5mpg with the skis & Boards on the roof so I imagine/hope maybe 32+ mpg at say a steady 75/80mph with no baggage but will let you know. Going to drive like granny later this week.

It's still a lovely drive with a real sense of occasion inside and out but the faults are really irritating. If anyone cares I will keep you posted as to what happens next.

Stu

Post #179655027th Mar 2017 6:28 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The satnav routing via Paris is not unique to LR's offering. I found using both Google map and CoPilot on my phone gave similar results. They would, at least, allow me to decide on the Reims route and stick to it.

As for expecting LR to have sorted problems with software on previous models before rolling it on the D5, well, that's LR for you. Lots of shiny toys but little if any development / support of them thereafter it seems. Ask the Evoque guys...

The muddy stuff all works brilliantly, as might be expected, but the shiny toys are standard LR QA fair it seems.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #179656527th Mar 2017 7:32 pm
forever

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Are you trying a android or apple for incontrol? If android check your usb cable as my cheap eBay one did not work but my Google supplied on was all good..

Post #179659427th Mar 2017 8:53 pm
S2bear

United Kingdom 

Hi, I'm using Apple for InControl... however, the next day, the USB sockets all worked fine and there have been no problems with it since, well, it's still not great but it's working perfectly if that makes sense. I think the key is to wait until the car's up and running and that the phone is active (not locked/sleeping) when you plug in.

THE MOST IRRITATING THING YET.... when the phone is plugged in to InControl Apps... you don't get any message alerts, they all come through at once when you decouple the handset from the car. No way should people be texting whilst moving but at least if you're getting alerts you KNOW you have messages and can at least then read them when you're stopped. (Lots of my biz is done over messenger apps and if it gets busy when I'm on the road I just pull over for 15mins and do my work.)

I've stopped using InControl Apps as I've decided it's a complete white elephant. Sygic Nav is probably ok but it's kind of admitting the LR nav is rubbish AND it uses TomTom maps which are good but I've already paid for TomTom on my phone so it would be much better to have that interface instead.
Accuweather - a clunky app that by default tells you what the weather is like currently in your current location. There's already a weather app on iphone and also, at a push, I can look out of the window. Very Happy

Route Planner app gives you only one route choice, not 3 and drives me up the wall.

Music - you can use without plugging your phone into InControl.

Phone - See above

JustDrive - it seems this may be the most usefully integrated app, but I don't know as it's not even available for the D5 yet!

Audio books and Stitcher I haven't tried

Shell - does anyone care?

Parkopedia - ok I guess

Seems to me that the D5 was a bit of a shambles of a launch of a technically unfinished product. I can't think of another manufacturer that would get away with this, maybe TVR in days gone by.
Ok I'm moaning now but if i'd spent £25k less I may be a little less frustrated, maybe.
I feel I've been mugged off a bit but at least mine will be low mileage as I can't be ar*ed to go near it half the time for fear of finding another fault. Maybe that's why it's called a Discovery, it just keeps on giving!
S

Post #18009427th Apr 2017 11:37 am
forever

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If you are talking about the infotainment its the same product in most of the JLR range, not just the D5. Some features are good some are poor, why they could not just do the simple mirroring that the handset support, rather than trying to build their own app, who knows....

Post #18009467th Apr 2017 11:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >